The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 am

Point of clarification on 3 and 4: Are these separate picks or just bonus points you get if you happen to own a team that this applies to?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:29 am

Bonus for owning the team at the time.

I do wonder about the issue of End of the Season--it may seem obvious that a 2-10 team heading to the end may "Suck for Luckever"--for the draft pick--and may lose a coach and even general manager.

So . . . perhaps a scale?

I am making up points just for discussion. I do not argue the actual totals right now:

3. You FAIL at Failing 10 pts for having the last place team before Week . . . er . . . 8 . . . or Thanksgiving . . . or Saint Huggin's Day. 5pts if you get it after.

4. In the Rain Bonus 10 pts if your team's coach is fired before midseason. 5 pts if by "Brack Fliday." We could also add general manager as well.

Again, do not obsess about the points--just the idea/concept. Remember: the idea is fun. This should be competitive and fun.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 am

One of the players here I have not talked to in some time. I planned to call him this week when, lo and behold, my phone rings.

AND THE CALL WAS COMING FROM INSIDE MY TOILET!!!11!

No, wait . . . sorry . . . anyways, we discussed these things, and he made some good suggestions. The Extra Greedy idea really comes from my own frustration where, like, Seattle is playing 49rs in SF and Denver is playing NE in NE--with temperatures below balmy and a wind greater than 3 mpd. Of course, I am all "I WANNA PICK BOTH!!!!"

He opined: "I am assuming the other players are not complete idiots."

I did not correct him on that assumption.

"Then pretty much everyone is going to pick those same pairs of games."

Good point. Further, I would have to make MOAR SPECIAL RULES--why could not someone Pick both teams in a "premium game." Okay . . . okay . . . the Extra-Greedy has to be a different game and . . .

So I think I will table that one for a year. The "point" is to make this fun and competitive near the end without screwing someone who happened to pick very well all year.

He liked the "Mulligan." He agreed with me that it is a "one time." You chose it, that is it. Further, you have to declare it, and if you declare it, it is used no matter what happens. This is to award players who pay attention. Case in point:

1. I pick Cleveland to be assraped by Denver during the 1 PM game. After a wild night with Your Mom [Tm.--Ed.] I wake up at 1:30 PM to see Cleveland winning by Eleventy and The Quarterback . . . of DESTiny having the "Manning Face."

2. "Oh noes!" So I declare a "Mulligan!" I now pick the J-E-T-S to lose to Scranton.

Well . . . that is it. THAT is my pick. Should St. Tim of Tebow show up to lead Denver to victory, I DO NOT get that Cleveland because I declared a "Mulligan." So if Denver then wins and Scranton loses . . . I lose twice.

See I do not want what could be "two picks" a week. I also want to reward players who watch the games.

My One reticence is most of us have lives. I, myself, will be infesting a foreign country for two weeks. This might penalize those who cannot spend 16+ weekends glued to the television.

On the other hand, no reason you cannot use if for a . . . Thursday game and "Mulligan" to a Sunday/MNF.

Now, if I wanted to be strict, I would require a player to submit a request--Post/PM--before the end of the first game. However, this is suppose to be fun.

Thoughts?

Again, none of this applies to playoffs.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 am

For me a 1 pm Sunday game is 2 am (or 3 am if standard time) on Monday, so calling a mulligan before the game ends would be difficult. But I do think one should have to use it before the kickoff of the second game.

So in my case I would probably realistically need to switch to the Sunday night game or Monday game.

So I guess I would sort of prefer the Extra Greedy idea, but I could live with the mulligan.

BTW, are you saying you can't save it for the playoffs?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

Anaxagoras wrote:For me a 1 pm Sunday game is 2 am (or 3 am if standard time)

And it will be for me for about two weeks. Image

So in my case I would probably realistically need to switch to the Sunday night game or Monday game.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh . . . which is why I am putting this up. How strict to people want to be? Thus far, you just have to "send in" a pick before kick off. One, I think, we had a poor soul who had no internet connection and we let him make his pick. Again, this is suppose to be fun.

So I might accept someone stating, "look, my pick is Jets lose to Vassar, BUT if that fails I am picking Jacksonville to defeat Putin!" If "most of you" are happy with that, fine. I am disinclined to have the "Mulligan" carry over: as in the example, Jets lose, you keep your "Mulligan" for another week.

So I guess I would sort of prefer the Extra Greedy idea, but I could live with the mulligan.

In a way, so do I--not just because it is the Doctor X Extra Greedy--but I have to recognize the point my friend made. To quote the rest of his "I assume the rest of the players are not complete idiots," he noted, "I assume they are not going to pick Jacksonville versus Titans and Cleveland versus Tampa Bay. Congratulations! You won a 0-6 team!"

The example I used--which is not even on the schedule--is "same week" NE-Denver in NE and Seattle-SF in SF. This may be "the chance" for you to get one of those teams.

Welllllllllll . . . that also means EVERYONE knows this. So you have, say, a bunch pick "wisely" and get TWO teams that will probably win a division or, at least, be a playoff team, a bunch get one, and a bunch fail miserably. This creates a big separation.

Now if a bunch of people said, "I do not care! I want that!!!" Fine. Well, imagine I am the only one who gets that correct. I now have potentially a 12-14 to 24-28 lead by the end of the Regular Season assuming none of those teams implode. Let us pretend it is mid-season. This may be very hard for player to over-come. What if none of those teams lose another game?

So . . . here I am increasing my lead by default every week, chortling, while the rest of you quickly realize that there is no way you can catch up. My two team never lose another game into the playoffs. HAhahaHAHA! HA! Ha.

Who wants to play that game?

[He is afraid he will be the one to screw up both and will be consigned to the bottom with Pyrrho.--Ed.]

Shhh!

Whereas, normally, I--and I think others--go nuts trying to decide what to pick in that situation. Meanwhile, perhaps the "smart play" is to pick another game for the "sure points." And now that I right that, why would not everyone pick the Tough Game than also choose an Obvious game to make sure they got points?

If you review last year . . . because you have no life . . . it was close going into the final weeks. I made one or two "bad choices." Had it gone the other way, you all would have been subjected to daily posting of my Superior--but Humble . . . Yet MagNIfIcent--Prowess.

What I want to avoid is a situation where there is a "clear winner" by, like, week 10. On the other hand, I do not want to screw someone like Thio's Mom when he basically made a "good pick" every week. Kind of unfair if he picked good but in Week 13 I happened to "double pick" and "choose which team's would have a mascot raped by Ellen DeGeneres"--why is "DeGeneres" in my Spell Check?--and take the lead. We have all of the playoff team so, game over in Week 10.

BTW, are you saying you can't save it for the playoffs?

Yeeeaaaahhh but, again, I welcome opinions. My fear is it will screw the His Humble MagNIfIcence a player who has picked teams that make the playoffs so he ends up with "Dipshit Bonus" and playoff points and then someone can just "Mulligan"/"Greedy Bonus" the AFC/NFC title games.

Now if people want that ability, then that means they accept the risks and . . . I am a RIVER to my people.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:01 pm

I think with the mulligan you need to afford players the opportunity to declare it at any point before the kickoff of the second game.

So I might accept someone stating, "look, my pick is Jets lose to Vassar, BUT if that fails I am picking Jacksonville to defeat Putin!" If "most of you" are happy with that, fine. I am disinclined to have the "Mulligan" carry over: as in the example, Jets lose, you keep your "Mulligan" for another week.

I don't have a problem if you want to allow someone to make two picks like this with the second conditional on the first assuming the player just can't pay attention one week and can't log in to declare the mulligan. If you allow this I'd say the mulligan would be used regardless of the outcome of the first game.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Supporting the coach rule for obvious reasons.

Random suggestion on "you fail at failing"

Doesn't the very last place team get an advantage in draft picks? Or am I mixing up something?

So the team that has next to last place has a special dishonor of totally sucking, and not even getting that consolation prize or a copy of the home game.

Truly, "failing at failing" and I believe at least once accomplished by my "beloved" Tampa Bay.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:24 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:I don't have a problem if you want to allow someone to make two picks like this with the second conditional on the first assuming the player just can't pay attention one week and can't log in to declare the mulligan. If you allow this I'd say the mulligan would be used regardless of the outcome of the first game.

Makes sense and obviously all picks must be made before the kickoff.

Now pick a movie. . . .

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:56 am

Doctor X wrote:
Now pick a movie. . . .

That honor belongs to Wildcat. He won last season. Go bug him.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:51 am

Aw crap.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:59 am

Current Suggestions:

1. Mulligan! Everyone gets ONE non-playoff "mulligan." That means you get one chance to pick a second game if your first game FAILS. You use it . . . you used it. For those who are "away"--as I will be periodically--one may post or PM:

Imma picking the Cleveland Shits to lose to the Squealers. BUT if they win my Mulligan is Faiders losing to the Minnesota Twins.

Whatever happens, the Mulligan is used. Obviously, that favors those who ACTIVELY watch the games.

Question to Consider:

1. When Mulligan can be played: I am watching "my team" lose spectacularly. All of a sudden, their opponent thinks the game is badminton, and my pick to lose scores 37 ["37?"--Ed.] in the last two minutes. I need The Mulligan.

So what can I pick? I am of the opinion so LONG as the game has not started, it is valid. I am also of the opinion that, given above, I can pick after the conclusion of the game. Again, whatever happens, the Mulligan is used!

2. Outcome: So my team I picked scored 37 in the last two minutes. I panic and declare a The Mulligan. Then, after posting/PMing that, the opponent of my first team somehow manages to score 143 on one possession. I am of the opinion that The Original Pick Holds. So even if my First Pick was an 0-10 team and my Mulligan is a 10-0 team that then loses, NO, I do NOT get to take the 10 win Mulligan team. My First Pick holds. This is to be fair to those who simply have no choice but declare before-hand.

2. In the Rain: IF you have a team that fires a coach before and including Week 9, you get 10 points. If you have a team whose coach is fired before Brack Fliday, you get 5 points. After Brack Fliday you get 2 points:

1. Rained on by Week 9: 10 points.
    2. Rained on before Brack Fliday: 5 points
    3. Rained on on or after Brack Fliday: 2 points

Super Bowl is the cut-off. On the odd chance that the "winner" is 1 point above another and that other player has a coach fired a week after the Super Bowl . . . well . . . that would be stupid.

You have to have the team either before or win it that week. Say you pick Jets to lose to NE in New York Jersey on Week 8, NE assrapes them 187- -37 ["-37"--Ed.], and during the press conference, security hauls him off because he just got fired. Awesome! I will count that.

Unless, the coach is fired DURING the game you picked. . . .

--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 pm

If I might make sure I understand the Mulligan... it is used up if you declare it while entitled to, no matter what. But it only takes effect if your first pick fails, no matter when you declare?

This may come up: will a Mulligan called too late (or otherwise used in a way not allowed by Da Rules) use up the Mulligan as penalty, or simply be disregarded?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 pm

gnome wrote:If I might make sure I understand the Mulligan... it is used up if you declare it while entitled to, no matter what. But it only takes effect if your first pick fails, no matter when you declare?

This may come up: will a Mulligan called too late (or otherwise used in a way not allowed by Da Rules) use up the Mulligan as penalty, or simply be disregarded?

I see it no differently than current rules when: submitting a pick once the game started, submitting a duplicate pick, or picking the wrong team. I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Only one mulligan per season or per week?
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Mulligan

1. You get only one during the regular season.
2. When it is played, it is played no matter what the outcome.

That second part is a reward, in a way, for those who put in the extra effort to pay attention to games. Sure, you risk wasting it if you declare it and your first pick actually loses. Also . . . if that first pick goes into overtime you may have to decide whether or not to "Mulligan" a game that is about to start. I think it adds a bit thought and risk.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Might be beneficial to clarify whether or not you want to allow an unused mulligan to carry over into the playoffs.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm

It is only for the regular season.

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 pm

This is getting fucking convoluted.
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 pm