FIFA Fun

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: FIFA Fun

Postby asthmatic camel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 am

It's been all over the news here lately. What a fucking yawn.

A bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field. Who gives a fuck?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:20 am

Yeah, they cannot even throw it.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:55 pm

FIFA releases a propaganda movie with impeccable timing:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/united-passions/details

Even without the current headlines, United Passions is a disgrace. It’s less a movie than preposterous self-hagiography, more appropriate for Scientology or the Rev Sun Myung Moon. As cinema it is excrement. As proof of corporate insanity it is a valuable case study.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:49 pm

'Russia & Qatar may lose World Cups' - Fifa official

Russia and Qatar could lose the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively if evidence emerges of bribery, leading Fifa official Domenico Scala has said.

The countries deny wrongdoing in their bidding processes and Scala admits he has not seen evidence of corruption.

Scala is the head of Fifa's audit and compliance committee.

He said: "Should there be evidence that the awards to Qatar and Russia came only because of bought votes, then the awards could be cancelled."

BBC

I think the "came only because" is a dodge. That being written, there is a lot of popular outcry against Qatar on both practical and humanitarian reasons. Russia's disastrous Olympics, along with invasion of the Ukraine and rampant homophombia, may lead to popular outcry on both . . . well . . . practical and humanitarian reasons.

Not that anyone in the US cares.

We like sports.

--J. "There's a Pitch" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 am

In olden times:

Nowadays:

(that's the Jordanian prince who wants [or wanted?] to head FIFA)

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 am

I would laugh but we have Roger "Woman Shoudn't Have Given Him Any Lip!" Goodel.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:05 am

So, not to defend Qatar because there's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize them, but one claim you may have heard recently is that "1,200 workers have died preparing for the World Cup" in Qatar (this claim is repeated here, for example). This figure is a bit questionable. The BBC looked into it:

Have 1,200 World Cup workers really died in Qatar?

Conditions are indeed appalling, they admit, but you have put this figure in context:

Another factor that needs to be taken into account is that, according to one estimate, a third of migrant workers in Qatar don't even work in construction. The ITUC, though, is counting the deaths of workers in any line of work and from any cause, including road accidents and heart attacks.
But the Indian Government says in a press release: "Considering the large size of our community, the number of deaths is quite normal."

The point officials are making is that there are about half a million Indian workers in Qatar, and about 250 deaths per year - and this, in their view, is not a cause for concern. In fact, Indian government data suggests that back home in India you would expect a far higher proportion to die each year - not 250, but 1,000 in any group of 500,000 25-30-year-old men. Even in the UK, an average of 300 for every half a million men in this age group die each year.

So for men in the same age group, you would actually expect more to die in a population of the same size in the UK or India over the same time period.

Again, there's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Qatar, but this "1,200 workers have died" charge seems to be bogus. Even the Indian government, which ought to be the most concerned if its citizens are being mistreated has looked at it and determined that it isn't true.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 am

Unless they want to decrease their unemployment levels.

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:17 am

[youtube]lwZFMPzRCWw[/youtube]

Published on Jul 20, 2015

Controversial FIFA leader Sepp Blatter was showered with fake bank notes by British prankster Lee Nelson at a press conference today.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:38 am

Blatter's only objection concerned their small denomination. . . .

--J.D.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”