Tony Stewart's final race

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Evolver

Tony Stewart's final race

Postby Evolver » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Hopefully.

I'm not going to embed this video. A guy gets killed in it.

Stewart was racing in a Sprint car competition, when he drove Kevin Ward Jr.'s car off the track. In the video you can see Ward gesturing angrily at Stewart. Witnesses say Stewart revved his engine as he went by (a yellow flag had been raised), probably meaning to scare Ward. A tailspin caused the car to hit him instead, killing Ward. This looks like manslaughter to me.
2016 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Tony Stewart's final race

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Walking into race car traffic was a stupid move.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Evolver

Postby Evolver » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Walking into race car traffic was a stupid move.

Very true. But Stewart intentionally fishtailing his car was more stupid. And criminal.
2016 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:52 pm

If that is what he did, which is difficult to tell from a side view video. The eyewitnesses corroborate that story, though.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

So far, I see a video that doesn't prove anything, and a lot of people (most of whom weren't there) calling for Tony Stewart's head. I think there's still a lot of investigatin' to do before we decide what "really" happened.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 pm

that wasn't the way I saw it. Ward caused it utterly and it looked unavoidable to me. I don't know if Stewart tried to avoid him or was just turning into the curve but saying he saying he fishtailed into him intentionally because he turned away from him is a stretch too far.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Rob Lister wrote:that wasn't the way I saw it. Ward caused it utterly and it looked unavoidable to me. I don't know if Stewart tried to avoid him or was just turning into the curve but saying he saying he fishtailed into him intentionally because he turned away from him is a stretch too far.

Yeah, Ward was a dumbfuck for going out there. My point, which I thought was obvious, was only that the video CAN'T support or deny claims that Stewart was at fault, nor his intentions. But that hasn't stopped morons, most of whom weren't there, from calling for Stewart's head.

My gut feeling is the same as yours. Ward had no business being out there, and unless video is found that shows that Stewart is somehow culpable, there's nothing there so far to support the conclusion that he is.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 pm

A grand jury will decide whether to charge three-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart in the August death of a fellow driver at a race in upstate New York. Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said today he decided to present the case to a grand jury after reviewing evidence collected by sheriff's investigators. Tantillo could have determined there was not enough evidence to support charges and dropped the case, but instead announced his decision more than a month after Stewart's car struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. at a dirt-track race on Aug. 9.

In a statement, Stewart said he respects the time and effort authorities have spent "investigating this tragic accident," adding, "I look forward to this process being completed, and I will continue to provide my full cooperation." In the race, Ward spun out while driving alongside Stewart, and the 20-year-old climbed out of his car and walked down the track, waving his arms in an apparent attempt to confront the 43-year-old NASCAR veteran. Experts have said Stewart could be charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law if prosecutors believe he "recklessly caused the death of another person," with negligent homicide another possibility.
http://www.newser.com/story/195986/gran ... ewart.html

For a view of Tony's view of what took place that day, consider not the bird's eye view, or fan-cam view, but something that approximates his real life actual view.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1l87INZ26g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And that's during the day. And that's not even a real race which has dozens of cars.

The person responsible for the death of Ward is Ward.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm

I blame Obama.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:37 am

No indictment:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... r-s-death/

A grand jury in New York has decided that NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges in connection with the death of fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. The Ontario County, N.Y., grand jury made its determination Wednesday morning, and a representative from the sheriff’s office announced the decision at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 am

Also:
According to Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo, Ward was under the influence of marijuana during the race.

. . .

Tantillo said the grand jury heard testimony from more than two dozen witnesses, including racecar drivers, employees of and volunteers at the race track, two accident reconstructionists, medical personnel and police. Stewart had the opportunity to testify, but Tantillo would not say whether he testified or not. The jury also reviewed photographs, videos and other evidence, Tantillo said, adding that after they heard everything, the group deliberated the case for less than an hour before rendering their decision.

“After listening to and questioning all the witnesses, the grand jury has determined there is no basis to charge Tony Stewart with any crimes,” Tantillo said.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Sports & Recreation”