NFL Halftime act must pay to play

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

NFL Halftime act must pay to play

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 am

Coldplay, Katy Perry, and Rihanna: One of them will headline next year's Super Bowl halftime show, and it might just come down to whoever is willing to shell out for the privilege. Citing "people familiar with the matter," the Wall Street Journal reports that the NFL, in notifying each act that they're the finalists under consideration, is also asking if, ahem, they might be willing to toss some post-halftime show income or "some other type of financial contribution" the league's way. The NFL isn't commenting on particulars, and a rep would say only that its commitment is only "to put on the best possible show."
http://www.newser.com/story/192694/nfl- ... ay-up.html

That is a set of nads.

Most will say 'fuck you' but some has-beens and wannabes will take them up on it. Soon it will be a auction.

Though the Journal notes that the idea met a "chilly reception," it's an interesting gambit: Last year's show hauled in 115.3 million viewers, and artists such as Bruno Mars and Beyonce have successfully used their performances as a springboard for concert tours—often putting tickets on sale virtually as the curtain goes down. CD and MP3 sales often see a boost, as well, though it's tough to gauge exactly what that windfall might be. As for who might be inclined to cough up, the Verge notes that all three acts are well-established cash cows and don't need the exposure the way an up-and-comer might. That said, Rihanna is currently recording her first album since 2012, and, well, if she happened to time its release fortuitously, might have the most to gain.

I don't think I ever made it though a half-time show. There's pisses to take, chips and dip to refill, posts to write on dumbfuckforums.com, and arguments with family members to have. What half-time show?

Grammatron

Re: NFL Halftime act must pay to play

Postby Grammatron » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 am

NFL is selling time, up until now charging for the half-time....time was not worth it. The circumstances have changed and NFL simply wants a cut for that chunk of time. The artist would have to already be wildly successful or an idiot to not take this deal.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 am

I heard Hanna Montana Chicken Butt is available.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:19 am

Grammatron wrote:NFL is selling time, up until now charging for the half-time....time was not worth it. The circumstances have changed and NFL simply wants a cut for that chunk of time. The artist would have to already be wildly successful or an idiot to not take this deal.

At the end of the day, it's basic economics of supply and demand.

I often ask myself why the cheerleaders work essentially for free. But apparently enough women want to do this that teams can pick and choose from hundreds of aspiring cheerleaders willing to do it for free, so why would they pay? They could even charge for the privilege and still get some girls willing to do it, probably (but probably not enough to make it worthwhile for them to do so).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 am

Anaxagoras wrote:... choose from hundreds of aspiring cheerleaders willing to do it for free, so why would they pay?

The best cheerleader is no better than--draws no more fans than--the average cheerleader.

As the doc alluded to: Miley chicken butt will end up getting the gig. I won't notice anyway. Maybe it is no different that cheerleading. But they're not going to get the real talent. Like Justin Beeper. :D

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 am

Do you suppose it makes a difference to the TV ratings who does the halftime show?
Maybe it does I suppose. Maybe Beeber would draw some extra viewers who aren't interested in the game itself.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Do you suppose it makes a difference to the TV ratings who does the halftime show?
Maybe it does I suppose. Maybe Beeber would draw some extra viewers who aren't interested in the game itself.

It makes a difference to the sponsors, I bet.
The internet tells me some ads cost as much as $4 million for a 30 second slot.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1509 ... ge-ad-cost

If Chicken Butt is playing, what products can be sold? Beeper?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Does anybody watch a football game for the halftime show, perhaps tuning in just for the halftime show?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Does anybody watch a football game for the halftime show, perhaps tuning in just for the halftime show?

Apparently a few million people do tune in only for the halftime show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... 22666.html

Mars' 14-minute performance, which also featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, racked up 115.3 million viewers. That figure thrusts Mars and the Chili Peppers ahead of Madonna's 114 million viewers in 2012 and Beyonce's 110.8 million in 2013. The halftime show slightly edged out the game itself, which attracted a record-breaking audience of 111.5 million, according to Nielsen reports.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Sports & Recreation”