The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge X

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
gnome

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge X

Postby gnome » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:
gnome wrote:For a movie, how about Die Fledermaus

Get it? "De-flator mo--"

I'll go now.

:nope

Here's a thought gnome: Next time do better than 15th place and maybe...just maybe...you can pick the movie.

It's all yours, seriously. :bricks:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 am

gnome wrote:
Tiosylanyl wrote:
gnome wrote:For a movie, how about Die Fledermaus

Get it? "De-flator mo--"

I'll go now.

:nope

Here's a thought gnome: Next time do better than 15th place and maybe...just maybe...you can pick the movie.

It's all yours, seriously. :bricks:

Just trash talking a bit dude. :D

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:06 am

Doctor X wrote:Barring accidents.

Now just need to convince Tio to chose a good movie . . . like one I would actually want to watch . . . in other words one that does not involve Seth Rogen. . . .

--J.D.

Hey, I've got six months or so to mull on it....probably won't be that movie.

......Although it is tempting to pick it just to make you watch it. :P

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:28 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:05 am

Okay . . . okay . . . okay . . . apparently there is a "meme" of the "Dead Kid" from the stupid SB ad which eventually led to:

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:38 am

Meanwhile:

[youtube]XZuqd2VWTLU[/youtube]

[youtube]smwmgZViC0g[/youtube]

Some language not safe for work.

--J. "That Makes No Sense! That Makes No Sense! I Can't Believe That! We Had the Game Won! We Had the Game Won!" D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 am

The PFW peoples noted that some woman asked His Billness [PBUH--Ed.] if he would have thrown or run the ball in The Worst Play Call in Human History1.

Answer?

"We're on to Cincinnati."

"We were on defense."

--J.D.

Lot of debate on this. Boston types point to "not pulling Pedro" in 2003. I disagree. It was a bad move. But there was hardly a guarantee the RS would beat the Marlins. Seriously. Marlins whacked the MFYs.

"Pitching to Big Papi"--Tigers, St. Louis--okay, but this required other plays done/failed by players. Not a single play.

"4th and 2" this is a play His Billness called against Indy. First, they actually got the 1st down, but were screwed by the Refs! Still, The Quarterback . . . of . . . DESTINY was slicing the Pats apart. Further, the loss did not result in anything other than home-field advantage in the playoffs and other things impacted later on.

"Keeping Bill Buckner at First"--Bob Stanley failed to cover first--he likes to forget that every time he throws Bill under the bus. Bad call on the manager's part, but even if Buckner fields the ball, and somehow crawls to first before Mookey crosses it . . . inning, but not game is over. RS had no concept of "bullpen."

In Defense of His Peteness . . . despite Lynch's reputation he failed 4 out of 5 times to break through a goal-line stand.

Nyaah! Still a dumb call.

So is there a WORSE call?

Maybe we need a poll. . . .

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:03 am

I did hear a defense of the call. Well, the person making the defense still thought they should have handed it to Lynch, but came up with a reasonable sounding rationale.

First of all, the interception was a low-probability outcome.
Second, they wanted to burn a little more time off the clock before scoring.
Third, turnovers can happen on running plays too.
Fourth, as you mention, it's not actually a sure thing that he will score if you hand him the ball.
Fifth, the Pats were expecting the run and had all their big guys in to try to stop it.
Sixth, an incompletion stops the clock, but if Lynch gets stuffed they have to burn their last timeout.

Maybe Pete Carroll outsmarted himself or overthunk it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Maybe Pete Carroll outsmarted himself or overthunk it.

Per all your point, I just listened to the Pats Dudes analyze it. Pretty much everyone wanted Belichick to either let Lynch score or use his time outs to preserve time to try to make it into field goal range to tie the game. They theorize that Pete thought that AND that The Miraculous Catch would be reviewed.

It was not, and Belichick did not even complain. He could not challenge it either way since it was under 2 minutes, but Pete expected at least a cry for a booth review. Because of that, he could not get his offense in place in time so he burns his second time-out. Belichick knew this.

So Pete does the obvious--runs Lynch--who gets it to the like one inch line. At this point Pete has only one time-out. If he burns this, then the next run play, if it fails, will run out the clock. The Pats have their Super Fucking Goal Line defense. Now, a few times, such stopped Lynch during the game. They have 55 seconds left with the play clock running.

At this point, Pete thinks a quick pass play. Either TD and Fuck You trying to get to FG range in under 20 seconds or it stops the clock. This preserves his last time-out so he has possibility of two plays--one run, then time out, then one last run. Going to keep Lynch out twice?

And that is where he played into His Billness' hands. As a number of analysts explained, the Pats recognized the play. Ex-Seamen Browner knew how to stop the pick and Who is That Guy Butler later explained they practiced against this very play. Playing the role of Wilson, back up QB Gargarfolovoaflahgo burned him on this and Belichick made him do it over and over until he got it right.

THAT all being vomited, HAD the Pats stopped Lynch two times . . . well . . . tip your hat. That is NFL. Or why did not Russel try running? Anything.

Some criticism is coming to Wilson and Whateverhisname since this is what happens in FAIL--shoulda caught the ball, Welcker! Shoulda made the interception Asante1--because Wilson should have thrown the ball low so that only his receiver could make a play on it. "High balls!"--*snicker* *snort*--get tipped and intercepted. The receiver also did not make a strong play on the ball but--according to Gurus--he probably had no idea Butler was about to counter-pick him.

Then give credit to Butler for the following:

1. Breaking up a pass that a few series before would have put Seattle on the Pats 20 when the Pats were still losing. Even a FG makes this at best a tied game. In that case, Pete says "fuck it" and kicks the FG for the win.

2. Pushing That Guy out of bounds after the Miraculous Catch. Otherwise he runs for the TD . . . hey, Brady, maybe you can make it into FG range in under a minute when we all know you are passing deep!

3. Catching the Fucking Ball: critical. If he bats it down . . . that is incomplete. Lynch runs it in next play . . . I rant for pages and pages.

So either Pete was played by His Billness and/or he panicked. I think a bit of both. But that is a bit of hindsight in that if they called a better passing play and/or it succeeded, Brady is now left with 18 seconds to get into FG range.

--J.D.

1Who after dropping an interception of Little Goat Manning then moving on to the Eagles claimed, he would never drop another interception in a Super Bowl again.

To which many Pats fans/reporters responded, "that's right Asante . . . you will never drop an interception in a Super Bowl again." This, of course, proved true. I, too, have never dropped an interception, or fumbled a ball, or even jumped off-sides in a Super Bowl.

I am awesome that way.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:10 am

Yeah. Anyway, people are only saying "worst play call ever" because the result is what it is. If it had merely been an incompletion, nobody would have second-guessed it. If it had been a touchdown of course nobody would second-guess it. It was executed poorly. Some were questioning why Belechick didn't stop the clock earlier. If the result had gone the other way and Brady wasn't left with enough time on the clock for more than one hail-mary attempt, people would be blaming him for losing the game by not calling a time out earlier. It might be the most unfortunate play call ever, but a defensible one nonetheless.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 am

I am convinced there is more thought on the part of Belichick and panic and choke on the part of Carrol. Very few coaches know how to run the clock. Carrol wanted to run down the clock because he was scared of what would happen. Then he realized he did not have a lot of time nor time-outs. This is in stark contrast with his willingness to go for a TD with 6 seconds left to tie the game at the end of the first half.

Nevertheless, as more than a few put it, because the Pats won, Brady is "the greatest QB in history" and all of that.

Had Seattle won . . . there is no change to Brady's scoring 14 in about 6 minutes of the 4th quarter to take a lead. But no one will care. He threw two picks, "can't win the big game," and is "now 3-3!!!11!!" Suddenly people are Brian Leaf is a better QB "in the clutch."

Winning solves everything.

Here is a Real World Example: Professional Flatulent Woody Paige who--after a few sexual harassment charges left New York and ended up in Denver--last year declared if Peyton won the SB he would be "the Greatest QB in History" and all of that crap. Pats fans squealed about how poor Peyton has played in the post-season compared with Tom Terrific.

Nope. Woody has "stats" and "stuff" to "prove" that two SB wins beats three and all of that.

Then . . . Denver got ass-raped last year.

He has now declared Brady "the Greatestest!"

What changed?

I think--as an objective fan boy--that Peyton would not have executed the passes Brady did. He would have turtled and "Peyton Faced" after the second interception. Of course, I have no way of proving that.

Nevertheless, you are more likely to win if you do not charge the beach naked and armed with a noodle.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Sorry Anax, but even if it worked I think several people (myself included) would have been thinking "what the fuck was he thinking???!1!1!1!!?!?1!1?!ELEVENTY!!!1!"

It was NOT necessarily because of it being a pass play, but the specific pass play that was selected.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Though . . .

. . . as I work I listened to a long explanation I will not tediously reproduce regarding how His Billness' non-use of a time-out forced Pete to run a passing play since:

1. Lynch was 1 for 5 in such situations.
    2. One missed run--worse in the backfield--may run out the clock.
    3. Teams were perfect this season in that particular play--zero interceptions.

Also, Seattle had like three receivers indicating a passing play--they are not going to block as effectively for a run.

Still, even after all of that, said Talking Head say, "it is still unfathomable" for him that Pete did not run. No matter how logical it may sound the results argue differently.

So there you go.

I will actually watch the "miked-up" broadcast later tonight to hear what the sidelines were saying.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:20 pm

I hadn't heard the stat regarding Lynch until the day after. If it was mentioned during the broadcast I must have missed it. However, I'd find it difficult to believe that the coaching staff would have had that particular stat at their fingertips, at that moment, for it to appreciably affect the decision. Maybe they do, I just find it unlikely.

That being written, it being a pass isn't at issue. Everyone expected them to hand off to Lynch, but then they lined up in an obvious passing play. Why not play-action to keep them on their toes if your going to pass? Line up like it is a run and peel off your tight end? Why not a fade route and back shoulder pass? An obvious pass play, with a pass towards the center of the field with the defense that compacted in the end-zone is just asking for trouble.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:51 pm

This is a fascinating play. Obviously, I have a "dog in the fight." I would like to think I would find it even if I did not. The more it is dissected, the more interesting it gets . . . though we still return to your observation/objection:

Tiosylanyl wrote:I hadn't heard the stat regarding Lynch until the day after. If it was mentioned during the broadcast I must have missed it. However, I'd find it difficult to believe that the coaching staff would have had that particular stat at their fingertips, at that moment, for it to appreciably affect the decision. Maybe they do, I just find it unlikely.

I certainly do not recall it during the broadcast. However, the coaching staff would know that. "Situational football." I am told while Carroll is more the "player's coach" than His Billness, he has the same attention to detail. His Billness quizzes players on such details, so I am sure Pete remembers every time they failed in the Red Zone and why. Now Pete will never admit to that, at least not now, that he had some doubt about Lynch in that particular situation.

But Lynch was stopped for loses. Still . . . if the Pats somehow got to Lynch, the clock runs out, Seattle is as disappointed as anyone BUT they are not second-guessing.

Critically, Seattle targeted Butler--a known undrafted rookie on a big state. However, he made critical plays that stopped a few Seattle drives. One was amazing that prevented a 3rd down conversion and forced a punt . . . rather than giving them a first down on the Pats 20. I write "critically" because I think they targeted him again with the endzone pick.

That being written, it being a pass isn't at issue. Everyone expected them to hand off to Lynch, but then they lined up in an obvious passing play. Why not play-action to keep them on their toes if your going to pass?

Yup.

I think they thought they could make that play on a rookie. They almost did. Hell, given the filming angle I thought the receiver DID make the catch. Then I see he does not have the ball and I think "incompletion" and here we go again.

I did not know any of this at the time--this only comes from listening to Pats players and the like describe the mechanism of the play. The Pats knew Seattle liked that play and they practiced it. Credit to Browner for preventing the pick on Butler. That was critical. I really think Seattle thought the run the pick, receiver is free at the goal-line, sorry to make you cry.

I am agreeing with the arguably pro-Patriot Wonks that the "Worse Play Call in History" detracts from Butler.

How the fuck did he avoid pass interference? Seriously! Same with that other play I mentioned above . . . not the one where his hand conveniently fell on the ankles of the receiver. :De_Bunk: Hey, you rough our kicker and helmet-to-helmet our QB, we might just get a bit of your feet.

BUT . . . all of that blather is MEANINGLESS for we all will forever come back to what you conclude with:

Line up like it is a run and peel off your tight end? Why not a fade route and back shoulder pass? An obvious pass play, with a pass towards the center of the field with the defense that compacted in the end-zone is just asking for trouble.

Yup.

I am sure there is a logical argument for the Maginot Line and Picket's Charge. I am suddenly reminded of one of the funniest lines ever made: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

It is not like Russel Wilson cannot run. It is not as if he was passing poorly and did not succeed with a few "Too High for Anyone But the Receiver." One criticism some former players made was as you observed, the play has you potentially throwing into the teeth of the defense. The chance of it being tipped, for example.

Or as one Wonk/Comedian put it--who does a great Tito Francona and Robert Kraft impersonation: "I foresee Pete Carroll in a wheelchair, in a nursing home, muttering "Run the ball! Run the ball! Run the ball! Run the ball! Run the ball!"

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Doctor X wrote:
I am agreeing with the arguably pro-Patriot Wonks that the "Worse Play Call in History" detracts from Butler.

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. Definitely credit where credit is due. That kid did his job and then some, and I could care less about the Patriots because they're always walking over the Broncos......

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:35 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:because they're always walking over the Broncos......

That is only because they got rid of Jake "The Snake" Cutler in favor of St. Tim and then Peyton. . . .

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:00 am

Doctor X wrote:
Tiosylanyl wrote:because they're always walking over the Broncos......

That is only because they got rid of Jake "The Snake" Cutler in favor of St. Tim and then Peyton. . . .

--J.D.

I trust you've seen at least highlights of Bears games since that trade. It wouldn't have mattered if they kept him. He didn't make the playoffs in the three years he was there. At least St. Tim of Tebow won a playoff game there. Hell, unless I'm completely mistaken, Cutler Slutler has only made the playoffs one time between Denver and Chicago and has the same record as Tebow.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:11 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:I trust you've seen at least highlights of Bears games since that trade.

There is a somewhat crazy Pats fan who will call into podcasts and the like. He was a huge St. Timmy fan and argued, to near Doris level desperation, that "Tom Brady is no good in the Red Zone," and the Pats have no option for running in the Red Zone.

So . . . they should have kept St. Timmy to run the Red Zone offense, I kid you not!

Soooooooo . . . I called in to a podcast and suggested that the failure of "The Play" was Seattle let St. Timmy slip through their fingers. :De_Bunk:

--J.D.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:39 am

Some dude who knows a little about football chimed in.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... riots-says
"There has been a lot of criticism that I don't think is anywhere close to being deserved or founded," Belichick said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on sports radio WEEI in Boston. "That football team is very good, very well-coached, and Pete does a great job.

"Malcolm and Brandon [Browner], on that particular play, just made a great play. I think the criticism they've gotten for the game is totally out of line and by a lot of people who I don't think are anywhere near even qualified to be commenting on it."
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Return to “Sports & Recreation”