NCAA shocked, SHOCKED!

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

NCAA shocked, SHOCKED!

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:17 am

I'm not really at all surprised though. Playing college sports at the highest level is basically a full-time job all by itself. Going to college for realz is also basically a full time job. Is it really any surprise that so many college athletes don't really have time for the college part?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html

Basically these athletes took fake classes and received artificially inflated fake grades.
In this case it was the Afro-American Studies department. At least they didn't pretend that these kids were getting A's in Calculus or something.

Apparently it wasn't only athletes though that took these fake classes. That was only half of them. I wonder what the others' excuse was.

Anyway, a peek inside what actually goes on in some colleges.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: NCAA shocked, SHOCKED!

Postby Doctor X » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 am

Well . . . it is not like they were covering up child rape by assistant coaches for decades.

Progress!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 am

"Wainstein’s staff reviewed records dating to the 1980s and interviewed 126 people"

The 80's? What a bunch of morons.

NC crime was being so blatant about it that it couldn't be ignored.

I see no reason to make a basketball player pretend he is a business major. It isn't like they are not learning. They're probably putting in twice or three times the 'study' hours of any business major. And unlike the business majors, they always, always, always show up for class. Their tests are their game days.

Call them what you're teaching them. Where is the shame in that? Sports is a valid and useful art; a perfectly legitimate course of instruction in and of itself.

You get your doctorate by making it to the big league.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Rob Lister wrote:"Wainstein’s staff reviewed records dating to the 1980s and interviewed 126 people"

The 80's? What a bunch of morons.

NC crime was being so blatant about it that it couldn't be ignored.

I see no reason to make a basketball player pretend he is a business major. It isn't like they are not learning. They're probably putting in twice or three times the 'study' hours of any business major. And unlike the business majors, they always, always, always show up for class. Their tests are their game days.

Call them what you're teaching them. Where is the shame in that? Sports is a valid and useful art; a perfectly legitimate course of instruction in and of itself.

You get your doctorate by making it to the big league.

Right, a lot of them do in fact major in something related to sports, although most colleges have certain requirements that everyone has to take regardless of what they are majoring in. For example, you cannot completely avoid some kind of writing class, some sort of math class, and a couple others.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Sports & Recreation”