NFL not coming back to Los Angeles

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Grammatron

NFL not coming back to Los Angeles

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... os-angeles

I don't know how many times we have to be burned here before everyone realizes that the team won't be coming to LA.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a local NFL team to root for. I only root for LA teams, for better or for worse (except Clippers). However, I realize that these political shenanigans are only about getting a new stadium in whatever shitty place the team is currently in, and not in Los Angeles.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Anaxagoras

Re: NFL not coming back to Los Angeles

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:58 am

So you're not taking this story at face value then. I think you are probably right, although there is a small chance it could really happen. Teams have moved to different cities in the past, and the Cardinals in particular decided to leave St. Louis for greener pastures. The Rams do have a historic connection to LA as well.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 am

The LAmbs, as they were known, were originally from LA.

And they sucked.

They were Patriots-Level Suck back when the Pats mascot was a man taking a very difficult shit and they regularly played the "Stupor Bowl" to see who was the worse team.

However, Al "BRAINS!!!!" Davis pissed at Oakland, the NFL, and Gandhi, moved his team to LA. This was against the rules, but Al's attitude to rules was "fuck you." So now LA had a semi-successful . . . historically speaking . . . once football team with a perpetual bottom feeder. I do not know if the LAmbs ever went to the playoffs that was not back in 191eventy when there was only one team with five players.

As Patriots ownership tried to outdo the Red Sox--"Get those Ni[CENSORED--Ed.]gers off my field!"--in incompetence, a potential buyer came around who planned to move them to St. Louis.

It was in the final stages. NE Patriots would have become the St. Louis . . . Patriots I guess.

Bob "Oh That? I Own That Also" Kraft was a long-time fan. He happened to own the land for the stadium, methinks, and--after convincing his wife he had not gone insane . . . she joked that she insisted he put her "half" of the family fortune in a trust!--he swooped in and bought the Patriots.

Soooooo . . . the LAmbs were bought instead and went to St. Louis.

And Al "Your Soul is Mine!" Davis moved the Faiders back to Oakland . . . against the rules . . . of course.

So LA had no team. They had, for a while, two very bad teams.

Ironically, the LAmbs became "good" after moving. As with all "greatness" in the NFL, it depends sometimes on one or two plays. "The Greatest Show on Turf" won its Super Bowl because a player could not quite break the plane of the goal-line. It would have won its second if it had better coaching and did not panic the first half. It almost went to a third but lost one of the more entertaining playoff games. Then, thinking they were the Patriots from the 70s . . . 80s . . . 90s . . . they dumped their QB to get The Next Young Thing and . . . that was that.

For nearly 14 years.

Now, they are starting to play better.

So they should uproot the team of course. Because that never helps a team coming together unless you are the Browns. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 am

Funny thing, I just looked this up, but they were originally the Cleveland Rams, from 1937-1945.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Rams
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:54 am

. . . and as the Cleveland Rams, they won the NFL championship the year before moving to LA.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:46 am

I'd prefer Chargers move back to LA so I can watch Rivers choke at a closer stadium.

Of course, no team is moving to LA.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:02 am

Apparently the Chargers are considering a move to LA too:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan ... anos-acee/

They did play their first season in 1960 in LA, but moved to San Diego the next year and have been there ever since.

Why are you so sure that no team truly wants to relocate to LA?
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Apparently the Chargers are considering a move to LA too:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan ... anos-acee/

They did play their first season in 1960 in LA, but moved to San Diego the next year and have been there ever since.

Why are you so sure that no team truly wants to relocate to LA?

A lot of politics both in California and NFL.

At the moment, Chargers and Raiders draw quite a bit of revenue from people in the Los Angeles and Orange County (as well its surrounding areas). If Los Angeles was to get a team that is not either (or both) of those teams, it would have an almost immediate financial impact on them. Furthermore, it would remove quite a bit of bargaining power away from those teams as they are both in the process of trying to get a brand new stadiums.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 pm

There's always some city, maybe outside of California, where they could threaten to move. After all, that's exactly what the Rams did.

How about Vegas for example. Or maybe Salt Lake City. Or even St. Louis if the Rams vacate.
William Shakespeare

You May Award The Try

Postby You May Award The Try » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:23 am

Anaxagoras wrote:There's always some city, maybe outside of California, where they could threaten to move. After all, that's exactly what the Rams did.

How about Vegas for example. Or maybe Salt Lake City. Or even St. Louis if the Rams vacate.

San Antonio.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 pm

The latest rumblings:

Chargers, Raiders announce shared stadium plan near Los Angeles

In Carson.

A statement from the teams posted to the Chargers' website Thursday night said the teams "are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises."

The Los Angeles Times reported the teams will seek public subsidies for the $1.7 billion stadium, which would bring NFL football to the area for the first time since the Rams and Raiders left two decades ago.

Welfare Queens.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri May 29, 2015 12:00 pm

William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri May 29, 2015 4:27 pm

There has never been a shortage of private money and public willingness, it's the lack of teams moving to (or back to) Los Angeles. Chargers, Raiders, and Rams all want new stadiums but they have no problem with staying where they are if their respective local cities fold and build them stadiums. I still don't think Los Angeles will get a team.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 am

Grammatron wrote:

There has never been a shortage of private money and public willingness, it's the lack of teams moving to (or back to) Los Angeles. Chargers, Raiders, and Rams all want new stadiums but they have no problem with staying where they are if their respective local cities fold and build them stadiums. I still don't think Los Angeles will get a team.

There's a certain economic logic to having two teams share one stadium. After all, only half the games are home games, so that's just 8 home games per year for a single team. Hard to justify an expensive, fancy stadium for only 8 games per year. Having two teams share a stadium would double the return on investment (or halve the cost per team).
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Looks like three teams want to move to LA:

Raiders apply to move to Los Angeles area

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Raiders have officially filed an application to relocate the franchise to the Los Angeles area.

The Raiders filed the papers Monday night to go back to Los Angeles for the second time. The team left Oakland following the 1981 season before returning from Los Angeles in 1995.

Owner Mark Davis wants to partner with the division rival San Diego Chargers to build a stadium in Carson. The Chargers and St. Louis Rams also filed a relocation application Monday night.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke wants to build a stadium in Inglewood.

The league's owners will vote next week in Houston on whether to allow any of the three teams to move.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Still don't think LA is getting a team.

Evolver

Postby Evolver » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Sharing a stadium sort of works for the Jersey Jets and Giants, as they are in different conferences. The Chiggers and Faiders would be weird, being in the same division, playing each other twice a year.
2016 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 am

Hmm.

I still don't believe it until I am watching them play.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 am

I am hearing that since they want to sell luxury suites--there is no luxury in New Jersey, you see--it will be impossible for both teams to remain in the AFC West. Since they play one another twice there will be a problem with such. Very rich people do not like to be told that, today, some other very rich person has their stuff. Technically, they can pretend that one game is "home" for one and the other game for the other and the season-ticket extremely rich will have to deal with it.

Meanwhile, the owner of the Lambs has to explain how much he really, really, really loves St. Louis.

Robert Kraft laughs at them all.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:03 am

. . . and whilst I drummed, exercised, cooked dinner, lamented on the General Weakness of People I Know--looking at you Anax!--then waited for the forum to come back, the deal fell through and the Lambs are coming back to LA.

No . . . not the Fakers.

Those lambs are already in LA.

--J.D.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”