UFC 184 - A cultural shift

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Badger

UFC 184 - A cultural shift

Postby Badger » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Main event should be good. Co-main event should be ok. Rest of the card is basically a bunch of tomato cans bashing together.

Rhonda Rousey is a good trail-blazer.

http://www.ufc.ca/event/UFC184#/fight
Nineteen tequilas later, we had a deal.
You are my density. (G. McFly)
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)
Rugby players eat their dead.

Anaxagoras

Re: UFC 184 - A cultural shift

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 am

Did you get your money's worth? :D

After a 14-second finish, UFC champion Ronda Rousey takes a longer look at her future

Rousey (11-0) needed just 14 electrifying seconds to finish off Cat Zingano at UFC 184 on Saturday night in her hometown. Not only was it the fastest finish ever in a UFC title bout, it was the quickest submission victory in the promotion's several thousand bouts of history.

The search for a worthy opponent will take much longer.

Good thing those seconds were "electrifying" since there were only 14 of them. :)

Zingano (9-1) was considered the most daunting threat to Rousey's title reign, with more skill, toughness and pertinent experience than most of Rousey's previous victims. But her curious decision to charge right into the grasp of an Olympic medal-winning judoka doomed her before many fans had even sat down.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Badger

Postby Badger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:23 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Did you get your money's worth? :D

After a 14-second finish, UFC champion Ronda Rousey takes a longer look at her future

Rousey (11-0) needed just 14 electrifying seconds to finish off Cat Zingano at UFC 184 on Saturday night in her hometown. Not only was it the fastest finish ever in a UFC title bout, it was the quickest submission victory in the promotion's several thousand bouts of history.

The search for a worthy opponent will take much longer.

Good thing those seconds were "electrifying" since there were only 14 of them. :)

Zingano (9-1) was considered the most daunting threat to Rousey's title reign, with more skill, toughness and pertinent experience than most of Rousey's previous victims. But her curious decision to charge right into the grasp of an Olympic medal-winning judoka doomed her before many fans had even sat down.

I actually haven't watched it yet. I'm working nightshift. I was interested in the co-main event too, Holm/Pennington, and was hoping Penningtons grit would win her the fight.

From what I've heard about the main event, Rousey is proving to be as dominant as Anderson Silva, in that she is at a totally different level than anyone else in the weight class. It makes sense to me that she'd want to minimize her exposure to Zingano's elbows and knees.

Nobody's talking about the rest of the fights on pay-per-view, and I think that's the culture change right there.
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 am

Hope I didn't spoil it for you.

I was sort of wondering what you meant by "culture shift". Could you explain that in a bit more detail?

Because a women's fight is attracting more attention than the men?

If that's what you mean, I agree that it is unusual for a women's sport to garner as much attention or more than the men. Whether that indicates a true culture shift or just interest in a particularly attractive athlete though is another question. If the champion were a more homely woman, I suspect you would see much less interest.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Badger

Postby Badger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 pm

No, you didn't spoil it for me. No worries.

Women in UFC is a fairly recent development. The fact that the main event and co-main event for UFC 184 were women's bouts is what I consider a culture shift within the sport. I can't say if it had as much impact outside the sport as the Griffin/Bonnar fight had in bringing UFC into the mainstream, though, as I'm kind of biased (my daughter plays rugby and soccer so I've probably been more exposed to a different aspect of women in sport than the average joe, including downhill skiing, luge/bobsleigh, hockey, as well as wrestling).

Marketing is important to the UFC, and to its increased popularity, and so the marketing of the women's side in order to increase their viewership and bottom line is what I think is interesting. Marketing managed to take this form of competition from somewhat of a circus sideshow or dingy back alley pursuit into the mainstream. It will be interesting to see how big womens UFC gets.

The attractiveness of the female combatants, as you mention, is a factor. There's a "reality" show called "The Ultimate Fighter", and a couple of recent seasons brought the women in. First season, there were half men, and half women, and second season was all women. An "important" factor was appearance, and I wouldn't have been surprised if there were beauty consultants almost as involved as the coaching/training staff.

I find it pretty interesting to watch this early arc of development and hope it succeeds.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”