Not Sorry to Make You Cry: First Openly Atheist NFL Player

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Not Sorry to Make You Cry: First Openly Atheist NFL Player

Postby Doctor X » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 am

No . . . not about Deflategate.

Not about the WORLD CHAMPION NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!!!11!!!!1!!

Not about the Red Sox. . . . Image

Not about Sorry to Make You Cry . . . but . . . SOON.

I tell Abdul why I'm here and he says, "My brother -- the anti-Tebow," with a comic eye roll.

Arian Foster, 28, has spent his entire public football career -- in college at Tennessee, in the NFL with the Texans -- in the Bible Belt. Playing in the sport that most closely aligns itself with religion, in which God and country are both industry and packaging, in which the pregame flyover blends with the postgame prayer, Foster does not believe in God.
. . . .
Moved by the testimonials of celebrity atheists like comedian Bill Maher and magicians Penn and Teller, Foster has joined a national campaign by the nonprofit group Openly Secular, which plans to use his story to increase awareness and acceptance of nonbelievers, especially in sports.
. . . .
"I get the devil-worship thing a lot. They'll ask me, 'You worship the devil?'" he says. "'No, bro, I don't believe there's a God, why would I believe there's a devil?' Notice they do not capitalize "devil" but capitalize the preceding indefinite noun. There's a lot of ignorance about nonbelief. I don't mean a negative connotation of ignorance. I just mean a lack of understanding, a lack of knowledge, lack of exposure to people like me."
. . . .
Former NFL punter Chris Kluwe, who describes himself as "cheerfully agnostic," says, "It's an implied social construct that of course you're going to say the Lord's Prayer before the game with your team -- why wouldn't you? And of course there's going to be a military flyover -- why wouldn't there be? These aren't requirements, but they're assumed requirements. Religion plays a big role in the NFL, but I think it's a structural role. It's like white-male privilege; it's hard to see the role it plays if your entire life has been lived within that structure. If you're a religious guy in the NFL, you don't see the problem. You're the one in it. You have chapel or Mass on Sunday before the game. You have Bible study during the week. It's built into the structure."
. . . .
But if God is helping you win, Foster wonders, isn't he by definition ensuring that the other guy loses? As is the case with Foster's street, the water must choose a side. "If there is a God and he's But they do not capitalize the masculine pronoun. . . . watching football, there are so many other things he could be doing," he says. "There are hungry children and diseases and famine and so much important stuff going on in the world, and he's really blessed your team? It's just weird to me." But it is not weird to recognize the Power behind Pete Carroll's decision to throw the ball. Wait . . . maybe that would be more the realm of השטן or even שטן! [Get on with it!--Ed.] Right! Sorry! Go Pats!

Coaches, led by head coach Phil Fulmer, scheduled trips to Sunday church services as team-building exercises. Foster asked to be excused. He was denied. (The school confirmed that these team-building exercises to churches took place.) Word spread: Foster was arrogant, selfish, difficult to coach. "They just thought I was being a rebel and didn't want to participate in the team activities," Foster says.

"I was like, 'No, that's not it. Church doesn't do anything for me. I'm not a Christian.' I said, 'We can do other team-bonding activities and I'll gladly go, but this doesn't do anything for me.' Take a zero for the day!

And this is awesome:

"So I went, probably five times. I don't want to bring race into it, but we never went to any predominantly black churches. We went to a lot of those upper-middle-class white churches, which I always found interesting because the majority of the team was black, so I thought the majority of the team would relate to a black church. I would rather go to a black church, honestly, because the music is better to me. If the majority of your team is black, why wouldn't they try to make them as comfortable as possible? But I guess when you're dealing with religion, color shouldn't matter."

ESWeHateBradyPN

--J. SOOOON! D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Not Sorry to Make You Cry: First Openly Atheist NFL Player

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 pm

He's an atheist, yet he earns his living performing a religious function.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Like Billy Graham and the Pope, and etc
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 am

Fucking worthless Jets. I think there is a God and he hates the Jets (except when Broadway Joe Namath was QB but that was before I was born). Season hasn't even started yet and Geno Smith is already out for 6 to 10 weeks because he was sucker-punched by a teammate. Sucker-punched by a fucking teammate. WTF. :x
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:09 am

Because he did not pay the $600 he owed a 6th round worthless.

Or as one Pats Fan Dude put it: "it's the Jets."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 am

Here's the silver lining: Smith's backup is probably a better QB.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... itzpatrick

Lost to most of the NFL world is the reality that current Jets backup Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of his best seasons in 2014 with the Houston Texans. He outperformed Smith in every metric imaginable, compiling a career-high 56.7 Total Quarterback Rating on the strength of a 63.1 completion percentage and a touchdown-completion ratio (2.12) that ranked No. 13 in the NFL.

Compare that to Smith, whose 1.0 touchdown-interceptions ratio ranked No. 30 in the league during a season in which you could have expected him to take a step forward. His QBR of 44.3 ranked No. 26. Earlier this offseason, colleague Mike Sando used advanced analytics to calculate that Fitzpatrick would have been worth 2.5 additional wins per year over Smith over each of the past two seasons.

If Fitzpatrick is so skilled, it's fair to ask, then why wasn't he competing with Smith for the Jets' starting job? The simple answer is that the organization was committed to finding out, once and for all, whether Smith is the long-term answer. Fitzpatrick would always be available, and primed to work with a familiar offensive coordinator, if Smith bombed out. (Fitzpatrick and Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey were together with the Buffalo Bills from 2010 to '12.)

Maybe god works in mysterious ways?? :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:06 am

Apparently, this was edited into the puncher's Wiki page right after the incident.

The other joke is that Goodell plans to suspend Belichick two games for this. . . .

Just heard on a Podcast I am listening to: "Geno threw the first punch, but it was intercepted."

--J.D.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”