The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge XII

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge XII

Postby Doctor X » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:20 pm

MORE than a decade . . . of dominance!!

From The Office of the Two Time Grand Champion

"The merciful and compassionate!"

And this is how I began last year quoting how we began the previous year . . . quoting how we began the previous year . . . quoting how we began the previous year quoting how we began the previous year . . . quoting the previous year . . . quoting the previous year . . . quoting the previous year . . . quoting the previous year:

There is that scent in the air . . . the scent of Dolphin failure! The scent of Chicago not having a quarterback! The scent of San Diego fans still not over last year!

Has anything really changed?

There is a scent in the air. . . .

Ramathorn: What's that smell Rabbit?

Rabbit: FEAR!

AND WHAT A SEASON IT IS SHAPING UP TO BECOME! {Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won!} [Shhh!--Ed.]

The rules as they were:

T3h Rulz:

Rule the First: "Same idea as last year. Pick a team each week, if that team loses you then own that team and get one point for each regular season win that team gets."

ALL games count: Thursday, Sunday, Day-Night Double-Header to make up for a rain out. . . . I follow the NFL Schedule. So start picking NOW!

Rule the Second:
You can pick and change up to the time of kickoff.

Rule the Third: "Mulligan!!"
1. Regular Season: each player has one "Mulligan." Those with one will have an "*" next to their name in the Grid of Despair. That means you get one chance to pick a second game if your first game FAILS.

You declare it . . . you used it whatever the outcome of the first game is.

2. Playoffs? Image

3. What if Gonna be Absent? For those who are "away" one may post or PM. The second pick must be before the kick-off of that game. So, yes, you can fail on Sunday and pick a later game, even Monday Night Football.

You can post "Imma picking Denver to lose but if that FAIL, I am picking the Jags to lose!"

You have used your "Mulligan."

Temporary Rule the Fourth: "Fuck You Roger Moratorium"

After some drinking thought as explained in the Soon--Parte the Third thread the ExtraEvidencesDr.XMeaniebonus and Doctor X is a MEANIE Point points are suspended for the first four Patriots games. You can pick them to lose without risk of giving me a point. I can also pick them as well. This only applies for the first four games. Once Tom is back, it is back to normal.

Bonus Points: :hyper:

Win a Division: 4 points
Wild Card: 2 points
Win in First Round of playoffs : 3 point
Win in Divisional Round: 5 points
Win Conference Championship: 7 points
Win Superbowl: 15 points

Supersorrytomakeyoucrybubblebonus: The team that finishes one place out of a playoff spot pays a 2.5 point bonus.
This will be based on the semi-official NFL standings.

ExtraEvidencesDr.XMeaniebonus: Beating the Patriots pays 1 point.

DoNotJudgeOthersbyYourStandardsCHARLEY_BIGTIMEbonus: Beating Pittsburgh pays 1 point.

Doctor X is a MEANIE Point: Your Humble and Magnificent Messiah [PBUH--Ed.] gets 1 points if you pick the Patriots to lose and they win.

Dipshit Bonus: 6 point bonus if you own all teams playing in a playoff round (and thus cannot pick a team)--unLESS:

RadrickGamblingBonus: if eligible for the Dipshit Bonus, you can still choose to pick a loser. If the team loses, you get 10 points. If they win, you get . . . nothing! And you will like it!

In the Rain Bonus: If you have a team that fires a coach before and including Week 9, you get 10 points. If you have a team whose coach is fired before Brack Fliday [Monday--Ed.], you get 5 points. After Brack Fliday [Monday--Ed.] you get 2 points:

1. Rained on by Week 9: 10 points.
    2. Rained on before Brack Fliday [Monday--Ed.]: 5 points
    3. Rained on on or after Brack Fliday [Monday--Ed.]: 2 points

shempICan'tWinforLosingBonus: If you pick a team up to and including Week 12 OR prior to the first team to clinch a playoff spot AND your team is losing by 14 or more points in the 4th quarter yet they win? You get 1 point consolation. And you will like it.

Super Bowl is the cut-off.

Playoffs: "Playoffs? Playoffs?!"

If you pick a team to lose IN the playoffs, you get only the season wins and any previous post season wins. No play-off bonuses.

I am ethically and spiritually barred from choosing NE since I would be guaranteeing myself my own "MEANIE point" save during the Fuck You Roger Moratorium. If the situation arises in the "Playoffs?" where there is no team I can pick, I default to either the Dipshit Bonus or the RadrickGamblingBonus. Since it is less than the points I would get if I picked NE, I do not think that would be a problem.

SUGGESTIONS will be entertained.

DO SIGN UP: Helps if I know whether or not someone is "in" or "out." Might as well stay "in." It is fun . . . and I have lost my abacus.

--J. "Is it Getting Hot in Here, or is it Just Me!" [Shhh!--Ed.] D.

P.S. Image
P.P.S.

His Humble MagNIfIcence

Nyarl
    gnome
    Evolver
    Tio
    Radrick
    Enchantress
    Grammatron
    shemp
    Pyrrho
    Anaxagoras
    izzitrue
Last edited by Doctor X on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Captain
Title: Captain

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge XII

Postby Captain » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Pinned to the wall. For your own good.
You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm in! And LA has a team! And it's not Chargers!
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 pm

Guess I'm in. For great humiliation.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 am

I would like to be in. And I promise there won't be any accusations of cheating (they were supposed to be humorous, not serious) (however, Pyrrho is a cheater, but he cheats to lose).

I would like to propose a bonus called the ICan'tLoseForWinningBonus: If you pick a team to lose, and they are behind by 14 or more points at the start of the fourth quarter, and they come back to win, this pays 1 point for frustration.

I also propose the LiarLiarPantsOnFireBonus: Any accusation of cheating (other than the one in this post, of course) is a ten yard penalty and loss of down (10 points deducted and no pick that week).
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 am

I'm in too!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 am

I am actually intrigued by the ICan'tLoseforWinningBonus; however, there is one potential problem with it which is near the end of the year, some teams have "nothing to play for"--either they are "out of it" or their playoff ranking is certain. Some teams will pull starters and the like and do weird things which can allow a weak team to beat them.

Thoughts from others?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:35 am

Doctor X wrote:I am actually intrigued by the ICan'tLoseforWinningBonus; however, there is one potential problem with it which is near the end of the year, some teams have "nothing to play for"--either they are "out of it" or their playoff ranking is certain. Some teams will pull starters and the like and do weird things which can allow a weak team to beat them.

Thoughts from others?

--J.D.

If that's the concern, perhaps an arbitrary limit can be placed at some point in the season. Similar to how the In the Rain Bonus is set up, maybe week 8?

I do foresee it as an annoyance to keep track of, but this can be outsourced to those seeking the bonus, perhaps an incentive and reward for watching/paying attention to the whole game.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 am

I was going to joke that it was "hard enough" to "add 1 to 10" when I "have only two hands" [You have two feet.--Ed.] SHUT UP!! but I figured if people like that as a Bonus then I am sure winners of such will remind me!

That and, you know, if you overcome a 14 deficit in the fourth quarter . . . that tend to appear on a few "highlights."

I would probably allow it until about Week 12 or "until a team has clinched a playoff berth."

Let us see what others think.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:29 am

That sounds about right to me. Week 12.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:46 am

What about a "Rebuilding Phase" handicap?

What?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Count me in, and like the week 12 thing or "until first playoff spot is secured". Also like the idea that one has to notify our esteemed master of ceremonies to receive the points. If you have to call it to get it, no arguing about what Doctor X should have known.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Doctor X wrote:I am actually intrigued by the ICan'tLoseforWinningBonus; however, there is one potential problem with it which is near the end of the year, some teams have "nothing to play for"--either they are "out of it" or their playoff ranking is certain. Some teams will pull starters and the like and do weird things which can allow a weak team to beat them.

Thoughts from others?

--J.D.

You sure you're up for that kind of math?

Okay, that wasn't completely a joke. I'm intrigued by the idea as well, and like Grammy and Anax suggested, it would be good to put a limit on it. That said, it seems like it would be hairier for you to track as it will require more effort to look into box scores to weed out those that qualify, etc.

Evolver

Postby Evolver » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:33 pm

In.

I prefer fewer bonus rules.
But in the long run, it doesn't matter to me. So I abstain.
Now excuse me. I have an ab stain to clean.

Oh.... and.... Matt Damon!
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:46 pm

I also abstain, since I don't really know enough about football to be able to have much of an opinion on the subject. So whatever everyone else decides is fine with me.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Updated the rules. I do not think the shempBonus will be too much of an issue. Only in the cases where teams are basically undefeated do you have teams having clinched a spot before Week 12. In fact, I am not sure you can. Be that as it may, few teams are going to pull starters prior to that--and if Everyone Sucks and the Patriots are the Undefeated they are not going to pull starters either.

That and teams that overcome 14 pt deficits in the fourth quarter get commented upon. Need I remind everyone of the only team to over come two 14 pt deficits in a playoff game and a 10 pt. fourth quarter deficit in a Super Bowl?

What?

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:01 am

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:30 am, edited 9 times in total.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:16 am

Flats deflated in Week 1!!! :mrgreen:

(And Glorious NY Jets to win!! <- (not my pick for the record))
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Going straight for the juggler (sic). Pats get lost in the desert. :Waaaah:
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

izittrue

Postby izittrue » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:18 pm

This IS next year so I'm in!!
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Return to “Sports & Recreation”