NBA historical comparisons are driving me mad.

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
RCC: Act II

NBA historical comparisons are driving me mad.

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 am

I’ve been thinking about odd historical NBA stuff lately.

For some reason, I’m fascinated by the following premise:

You have to make the best six man team picking a player from six different decades. The 2010s, 2000s, 90s, 80s, 70s, and 60s. Anyone before the 60s can be chosen as the 60s player, but good luck with that. Each player can only be used once and you get the player as he was in that decade you choose. So you could try to sneak a 2000s Jordan in there, but… again… probably not the optimal move.

Each of the six will see equal playing time, so the team has to be at least viable no matter who is on the bench. This team plays by today’s rules as to the three point line, defensive three seconds, etc. Injuries aren’t possible. We are playing in the present NBA.

The first one I came up with off the top of my head was Curry/LeBron/Jordan/Magic/Kareem/West. I’m pretty sure it sucks though.I think the non-Kareem lineup might be taking smallball a bit too far, not so much because LeBron and Magic aren’t exactly huge, but because West and Curry together are in trouble against most modern lineups.

So I decided to be somewhat scientific and break it down by what players would be good from each decade:

2010s:
S. Curry
K. Leonard
K. Durant
L. James

2000s
L. James
T. Duncan
S. O’Neal
K. Garnett

1990s
M. Jordan
H. Olajuwon

1980s
L. Bird
E. Johnson
M. Jordan
M. Malone

1970s
B. Walton
K. Abdul-Jabbar
D. Thompson
J. Erving
R. Barry

1960s
J. West
O. Robertson
W. Chamberlain
B. Russell
E. Baylor

The obvious parts to me are that

1) you have to pick a center from the 70s, both because Walton and Kareem are really good, and the alternatives are meh.

(2) Have to take Jordan and Lebron. Jordan because even though this is a hypothetical exercise on a backwater message board, he might get pissed and send Charles Oakley to have a chat with you. Lebron because he gives a ton of positional flexibility. However, they each have two viable decades to choose from.

Really, I think it goes:

60s= Oscar.
70s= Kareem
80s= Magic.
90s= Jordan.
00s= James.
10s= Durant.

This smallball is much better because the smallest player is 6’5”, Durant/Magic/James are good enough to at least hinder any center the opposing coach is dumb enough to leave on the floor.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: NBA historical comparisons are driving me mad.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

It seems to me the NBA these days is a lot like the Austro-Hungarian empire.

What? :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Post by RCC: Act II » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm

At this point you can identify NBA fans because they're the ones that keep humming/singing "I want it that way" without realizing it.

I'm thinking of switching insurance companies over this.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

I’ve been thinking about odd historical NBA stuff lately.

For some reason, I’m fascinated by the following premise:

You have to make the best six man team picking a player from six different decades. The 2010s, 2000s, 90s, 80s, 70s, and 60s. Anyone before the 60s can be chosen as the 60s player, but good luck with that. Each player can only be used once and you get the player as he was in that decade you choose. So you could try to sneak a 2000s Jordan in there, but… again… probably not the optimal move.

Each of the six will see equal playing time, so the team has to be at least viable no matter who is on the bench. This team plays by today’s rules as to the three point line, defensive three seconds, etc. Injuries aren’t possible. We are playing in the present NBA.

The first one I came up with off the top of my head was Curry/LeBron/Jordan/Magic/Kareem/West. I’m pretty sure it sucks though.I think the non-Kareem lineup might be taking smallball a bit too far, not so much because LeBron and Magic aren’t exactly huge, but because West and Curry together are in trouble against most modern lineups.

So I decided to be somewhat scientific and break it down by what players would be good from each decade:

2010s:
S. Curry
K. Leonard
K. Durant
L. James

2000s
L. James
T. Duncan
S. O’Neal
K. Garnett

1990s
M. Jordan
H. Olajuwon

1980s
L. Bird
E. Johnson
M. Jordan
M. Malone

1970s
B. Walton
K. Abdul-Jabbar
D. Thompson
J. Erving
R. Barry

1960s
J. West
O. Robertson
W. Chamberlain
B. Russell
E. Baylor

The obvious parts to me are that

1) you have to pick a center from the 70s, both because Walton and Kareem are really good, and the alternatives are meh.

(2) Have to take Jordan and Lebron. Jordan because even though this is a hypothetical exercise on a backwater message board, he might get pissed and send Charles Oakley to have a chat with you. Lebron because he gives a ton of positional flexibility. However, they each have two viable decades to choose from.

Really, I think it goes:

60s= Oscar.
70s= Kareem
80s= Magic.
90s= Jordan.
00s= James.
10s= Durant.

This smallball is much better because the smallest player is 6’5”, Durant/Magic/James are good enough to at least hinder any center the opposing coach is dumb enough to leave on the floor
Gentlemen: the preceding example of OCD was brought to you by The American Psychological Association as a public service.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 am

It's an impossible comparison because not only have rules changed -- from legality of zone defense, to hand checking, to guys getting close-lined in the paint -- but so has understanding of training and proper diet. I submit all those players would be GOATs today or even better. They would still have that passion and drive, but now would benefit from modern training methods and fundamentals.

That said, Shaq in his prime was insane.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 am

Gram, you ignorant slut, you!

Larry BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD!

Evidences:

Though with this:

you can hear how he swallows his cigarette and bourbon as he makes the call.
Donny "Voice of the Boston Celtics" Most is the only way to say the name. Drunk, smoking, died at the age of 17, even before I was a Wee Spud, fans said you put the Celtics on the television, then turned on the radio to get two different games.

Infamously referred to Danny Ainge as "the Baby-Faced Assassin" UNTIL he became a Celtic. Then, well, "FOUL ON AINGE?!!!!" John "It's an A-Bomb! From A-Rod!" Silver finds him "over-bearing." The Fucktard Dolts Guy who Keeps Saying "We" finds him a "homer."
PLEASE!
Though the last two are WRONG!!! COMPLETESLEES!!1!!!1!

!
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 am

Since it is the interwebs.

It is one of the great problems of comparisons. In some cases the rules are simply different. This is a big problem for the NFL and even MLB. The Old Farts of the NFL will scream within two or three years "put a SKIRT on them!" regarding the rules. For example, you CANNOT do unto receivers what the GREATEST DYNASTY IN[Get on with it!--Ed.] Patriots did to the Rams receivers.

Gone are the days where players had jobs between seasons.

"No salary cap."

More than one NBA player would have played longer if knee surgery was what it is now. Same goes for the NFL.

Though, having said that, one of the records that NEVER will be broken is Cy Young's total wins--and loses. He quit at [No searching!--Ed.] 41, I think only because:
Spoiler:
He got a bit fat so batters started bunting to force him to field the ball and run to first. He thought that was too much bother and retired!
I have to agree with Michael[Tm.--Ed.] about "what if"--you cannot play that game. You always wonder. Even Tom the GRE["Snip!"--Ed.]Fucks Gisele" Brady likes to quote Terry Bradshaw giving his "QB Rating" as "Four Rings."

Well, what if those guys had the rules, the money, the training ability, and all of that? We will never know.

What if Ted Williams did not serve in WWII and Korea? Maybe no "Curse of the Bambino," but maybe Tom "Niggers? What? On My Team?!" Yawkey never would have integrated.

This all means, of course, that Gram has t3h gh3y from his PussyCunt.

Not that . . .

--J. "Yes, I am Drinking a Nice Red! What of it?!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Frankly you're underselling Celtics legend Danny Ainge, and I am not being facetious.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh, seriously, I like Ainge as well. Though no one would put him on the "Boston Celtic Mt. Rushmore" given the competition.

I used the "Baby-Faced Assassin" remark to highlight how Beyond John Silver Homer Johnny Most was. His opinion on Ainge rather changed once Ainge "put on the green."

Unfortunately, he did not call the infamous McHale "Let Me Adjust Your Tie" play on Rambis. Would have been hilarious! "THAT should be an OFFENSIVE FOUL! Rambis CLEARLY drove his throat into Kevin McHale's forearm! But foul on Mchale? Unbelievable!!"

Et cetera.

--J.D.

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 am

Grammatron wrote:It's an impossible comparison because not only have rules changed -- from legality of zone defense, to hand checking, to guys getting close-lined in the paint -- but so has understanding of training and proper diet. I submit all those players would be GOATs today or even better. They would still have that passion and drive, but now would benefit from modern training methods and fundamentals.

That said, Shaq in his prime was insane.
The differing conditions are part of the point of the exercise. Thus the requirement of one player per decade in terms of today.

You could do the same using 1947 BAA style bludgeon deathmatch ride on a bus conditions, or 1980s "why is that arc there" style, and the answers would be very different...
Last edited by RCC: Act II on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 am

ed wrote:Gentlemen: the preceding example of OCD was brought to you by The American Psychological Association as a public service.
You're not wrong. At least writing it out got me to stop thinking about it so much.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 am

I will take an entire front court of Larry Bird.

And Mike Ditka.

--J.D.

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:04 am

Goddammit. I'm thinking about it again.

I can't seem to make it work with O'Neal. He's be useful in today's game but it screws up some things and makes the 70s pick a bit rough.

60s Robertson
70s Berry?
80s Jordan
90s Shaq
00s Lebron
10s Durant

Meh.

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 am

Doctor X wrote:I will take an entire front court of Larry Bird.

And Mike Ditka.

--J.D.
I like seeing white dudes get dunked on much as anyone, so I'd be in on Bird.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:25 am

Mike Ditka says "Not today!"

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 am

In that case, here's my team.

2010s:
K. Leonard

2000s
S. O'Neal

1990s
G. Payton

1980s
E. Johnson

1970s
K. Abdul-Jabbar

1960s
O. Robertson

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am

Interesting . . . you do not take Princess James . . . self-important douche he may be but at least he is an ethos.

Why not World B. Free?

[Stop that!--Ed.]

Funny thing, a few hours to go when I [CENSORED--Ed.] thought about Johnny Most Era Celtics
We use to wear an onion on our belts, as was the fashion.

Apparently, during half-time, they would have "imitate Johnny Most contests." Most involved him screaming about how the referees and other teams are all conspiring:

I was reminded of the one time you could collect "the Bestestest" together.

The Japanese Original Dream Team.

Inspired by the Cheating Grammskis Russkies, professionals were allowed to play in the Olympics.

"And Hell followed them."

Teams from Upper Volta would happily get [CENSORED--Ed.] and beg for an autograph afterwards.

Fine.

So who plays against the teams we put together?

The Washington Generals?

In the rain.

--J. "DiSGUsting DisPLAY!" D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

LeBron James is amazing, no doubt. The problem is IMO one would have to take 2010's LeBron and miss out on Leonard, and I also think that O'neal is just too good to pass up. At the same time Abdul-Jabbar is also too good to pass up, but I feel I can make this work with 2 centers where I can rotate and play Abdul-Jabbar at PF.

The reason I don't take Jordan is that I want to control perimeter against the likes of Curry, and without a player like Payton I feel it can't be done. And having guards like Leonard, Johnson, and Robertson isn't exactly a downgrade.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 am

. . .

. . .

I have BIRD!

. . .

. . .

and DITKA!

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

I suppose you could play the hypothetical team against any NBA team in a 7 game series.