NBA historical comparisons are driving me mad.

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: NBA historical comparisons are driving me mad.

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

So you would, sometimes, have the same player playing against himself?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 pm

That's not the least believable portion of this exercise.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 am

Ali would kick Marciano's ass. Well, it would go the distance but Ali would get the nod.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Grammatron wrote:LeBron James is amazing, no doubt. The problem is IMO one would have to take 2010's LeBron and miss out on Leonard, and I also think that O'neal is just too good to pass up. At the same time Abdul-Jabbar is also too good to pass up, but I feel I can make this work with 2 centers where I can rotate and play Abdul-Jabbar at PF.

The reason I don't take Jordan is that I want to control perimeter against the likes of Curry, and without a player like Payton I feel it can't be done. And having guards like Leonard, Johnson, and Robertson isn't exactly a downgrade.
I like this one besides Magic. He's a bit of a turnstile and a third point guard. The rest of the team is a defensive nightmare. The 80s choice screams for whoever would work as a modern wing. That would make the team two point guards (Oscar works as a combo guard) two bigs and two wings. Bird probably is the choice; get some three point shooting to keep people from doubling the centers. He was on the top of the defensive ratings chart until his back started to go.

O'Neal is one of the fascinating players in this. He, the 2000s version especially, would be pretty useless on defense against a modern small ball offense. On the other hand, he would just curbstomp such a lineup on the other end.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:LeBron James is amazing, no doubt. The problem is IMO one would have to take 2010's LeBron and miss out on Leonard, and I also think that O'neal is just too good to pass up. At the same time Abdul-Jabbar is also too good to pass up, but I feel I can make this work with 2 centers where I can rotate and play Abdul-Jabbar at PF.

The reason I don't take Jordan is that I want to control perimeter against the likes of Curry, and without a player like Payton I feel it can't be done. And having guards like Leonard, Johnson, and Robertson isn't exactly a downgrade.
I like this one besides Magic. He's a bit of a turnstile and a third point guard. The rest of the team is a defensive nightmare. The 80s choice screams for whoever would work as a modern wing. That would make the team two point guards (Oscar works as a combo guard) two bigs and two wings. Bird probably is the choice; get some three point shooting to keep people from doubling the centers. He was on the top of the defensive ratings chart until his back started to go.
That's a legitimate criticism, Bird does have a much better 3-point shot and was harder to defend. On the other hand, the ball will move much more with Magic on the floor. It depends on what strategy is used. Kobe had an interesting take on this vis-a-vi Cleveland And Golden State.
https://kobebryant.com/blog/landing-car ... er-kingdom
O'Neal is one of the fascinating players in this. He, the 2000s version especially, would be pretty useless on defense against a modern small ball offense. On the other hand, he would just curbstomp such a lineup on the other end.
I don't think he'll be that useless. He'll control the paint and will minimize offensive rebounding.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]