Paying college athletes

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Paying college athletes

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

What do you think about this idea? Should college athletes be paid?
One former college athlete weighs in:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... e-athletes

During the three weeks of March Madness basketball last year, the NCAA earned $900m dollars while $9.2bn was gambled on the outcome. The players banging it out on the courts earned zip. Nada. Nothing.

I’ve been writing about this issue for several years now calling for college athletes to be paid the wages that they deserve and am sad to acknowledge that very little has changed since I was a college athlete at UCLA, so poor that I and most of my teammates could barely scrape by. But just as with every injustice, wrongs don’t get righted unless we keep raising our voices again and again. So, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

I think they deserve to be paid. Would it ruin the sport though? Sports is the one market where it seems like the normal rules of the free market don't apply and collusion by owners is allowed. In any other business it would be illegal for competing owners to agree with each other to set prices, but not in sports. And I grant that it would be less competitive that way. The teams with the most money would always be able to recruit the best players. But there could also be a middle ground, like a "luxury tax" or even a salary cap that could ensure that things don't get too lopsided while still allowing the players to receive fair compensation.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Re: Paying college athletes

Postby ed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Create a "junior league" with colleges as the initial owners. Pay the kids, fuck the classes, thats a joke anyway. Let the teams use the college logos for merchandising and so on.

I think that it will serve to flood the sports market and thus, over time, reduce viewership and revenues thus destroying professional sports, which is a good thing since it is entirely racist and borderline genocidal.

my 2p
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Ummm, so you're in favor essentially. Or you don't give a fuck either way.

I guess I'm sort of in the same boat because it would have zero effect on me personally, so it's all academic as far as I'm concerned.
Still, in principle I'm against exploitation. People should be paid a fair wage for their labor.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 pm

So if I could summarize the Ed Plan, it's to make Basketball and Football more like Baseball. Because Baseball has the minor leagues. For Basketball and Football, college is essentially the minor leagues, except the players get a college education (in theory) in lieu of a minor league salary.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

I think professional sports is a form of corruption that should be rooted out.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:45 pm

I think we should bite the bullet and recognize sports for what they are_ ways for the man to exploit black folks.
Call a spade a spade, do away with farm teams, call them what they are Plantation Teams. No fucking coaches, Overseers!!.

I've had it and I am in a foul mood today. Watch out. Particularly you, Abdul.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm

ed wrote:I think we should bite the bullet and recognize sports for what they are_ ways for the man to exploit black folks.
Call a spade a spade, do away with farm teams, call them what they are Plantation Teams. No fucking coaches, Overseers!!.

I've had it and I am in a foul mood today. Watch out. Particularly you, Abdul.

Here are some smilies to cheer you up.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am

It is a tough situation. A poor kid is "given" a place in college with tuition paid and . . . nothing else. So he cannot afford to actually be in college. He does what he can until he can make the pros.

Unless he cannot.

The NCAA makes Goodell appear competent.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I think they deserve to be paid. Would it ruin the sport though?

I can't figure any solid reasons why this would be so.

The irony is that this would likely lead to more kids getting degrees if we were to keep current eligibility standards in place. Not so much for the superstars, but those on the fringes. Quite a few guys come out early because the way things work this maximizes their income potential even though they are likely to be at best marginal pros. Being paid in college changes that dynamic.

The idea that, at least once something grows enough to where there is money to be made, that amateurism is a virtue is just utter nonsense. That love of the game garbage might be a rec league thing, but above that it is simple exploitation.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”