I diagnose 'roid involvement

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

I diagnose 'roid involvement

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: I diagnose 'roid involvement

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Nope.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Why not?

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Reported for practicing medicine without a license.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 pm
Why not?
That's not how reasoning via logic works.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Looks like the video was pulled. Oh well.

Here's a still photo that should be OK.

The Mark McGwire of pro tennis. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:52 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am

Video doesn't seem to work for me.

Fwiw, she submits to regular drug tests, several times per year. As far as I know, she has never failed one (then again, neither did Lance Armstrong). I personally see no particular reason to suspect her.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

She's just a natural home run hitter, a victim of the sexism of organized baseball.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 am

Nah. Now the WTA has their own John McEnroe. Equality!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:27 am

An Australian artist’s racist Serena Williams cartoon receives swift and international blowback
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/com ... df77070660

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:51 am

Here's one of the cartoons MacEnroe got at the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tenni ... ikson.html

Here he is breaking his racket in a fit of rage:

And for good measure, the tabloid headline:

I think we tend to see the past in rose-colored glasses sometimes and we forget that at the time, a lot of people were very critical of McEnroe, and saw him as a brat and a poor sportsman.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 am

I think there are some unfair reactions (like this thread; people have been whispering about steroids without any evidence for her whole career). If you're going to accuse her of using steroids, then please present some objective evidence.

On the other hand, some people are really bending over backwards to excuse away her behavior with "whataboutism" and complaints that she is the victim of sexism and racism and ‘misogynoir’ (a new one to me).

I think this is a fair middle ground from someone who knows a thing or two about tennis:

Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong
But in her protests against an umpire during the United States Open final on Saturday, she also got part of it wrong. I don’t believe it’s a good idea to apply a standard of “If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.” Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honor our sport and to respect our opponents?

To recap: The trouble began when early in the second set, Ms. Williams was given a warning for coaching. This one is on her coach: Patrick Mouratoglou was using both hands to motion to Ms. Williams to move forward and got called on it. While it is true that illegal coaching is quite common and that most coaches do it, it’s also true that despite what many commentators have said following Saturday’s events, they are called on it quite frequently and that most of the time, players just shrug it off and know that going forward, they and their coaches now need to behave, because the next infraction will cost them a point. The player is responsible for his or her coach’s conduct. And it is actually irrelevant whether the player saw or heard whatever instructions were given; either way, it is still an infraction.

Ms. Williams was not happy about this warning and let the umpire, Carlos Ramos, know it. So far, not so bad. (It is also common for the umpire to talk to the player first about the coaching — a sort of “soft warning” before the real warning so that the player has a chance to “muzzle” the coach. Had that been done, nothing at all might have followed — but we will never know.)

It was a few games later when matters really escalated. Williams lost her serve at 3-1 up and demolished her racket — an automatic code violation that, because it came on top of an earlier warning, resulted in the automatic loss of one point.

Ms. Williams opted to argue about this: She insisted that she didn’t cheat, she wasn’t coached, and therefore she shouldn’t have been docked. But it doesn’t matter whether she knew she was receiving coaching. She was being coached, as Mr. Mouratoglou admitted after the match, and whether she knew it or not is moot. So at this stage, she had been given a warning — one that couldn’t be dismissed retroactively — and had smashed her racket, an automatic violation. Mr. Ramos, effectively, had no choice but to dock her a point.
It was here that Ms. Williams really started to lose the plot. She and Mr. Ramos were, in effect, talking past each other. She was insisting that she doesn’t cheat — completely believable, but besides the point — while he was making a call over which he, at that point, had little discretion.

It’s worth noting that Ms. Williams has some serious scar tissue when it comes to this particular tournament. In 2004, she was subjected to some notoriously awful line-calling and umpiring in a match against Jennifer Capriati. In 2009, she suffered a self-inflicted wound when, at match point in a semifinal against Kim Clijsters, she lost her temper at a line judge, leading to a point penalty that resulted in her automatically losing the match. In 2011, in a final against Samantha Stosur, Ms. Williams lost a point for yelling, “Come on!” after hitting a forehand that appeared to help her regain her momentum in a game she’d been losing. She went on to berate the umpire, calling her “unattractive inside,” and was hit with another code violation.
Much of the coverage has focused on what happened when Ms. Williams confronted Mr. Ramos a second time, demanding an apology and calling him a thief. Mr. Ramos handed Ms. Williams a third code violation — which cost her a whole game. After a long confrontation, play resumed. Naomi Osaka went on to win the match — her first major title, and the first major title for Japan as well — under an onslaught of booing and drama the likes of which, as far as I know, we have never seen in a final of a Grand Slam.

It’s difficult to know, and debatable, whether Ms. Williams could have gotten away with calling the umpire a thief if she were a male player. But to focus on that, I think, is missing the point. If, in fact, the guys are treated with a different measuring stick for the same transgressions, this needs to be thoroughly examined and must be fixed. But we cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with. In fact, this is the sort of behavior that no one should be engaging in on the court. There have been many times when I was playing that I wanted to break my racket into a thousand pieces. Then I thought about the kids watching. And I grudgingly held on to that racket.
At the end of the day I think she's a very competetive person, and occasionally she overreacts emotionally when she feels she isn't being treated fairly. Objectively, I don't think the unpire did anything wrong here. But she perceives that she is treated differently than men are treated or than white women are treated. And there is some of that I'm sure. I've heard some people straight up say "she's a man" and other really mean, racist things about her. But that's out of the control of the umpire. He was just doing his job here.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am
I personally see no particular reason to suspect her.
We know you and your "color-blindness," Anax!

If you saw black man driving a car in your neighborhood, you would demand that he be tested for steroids!

--J.D.

P.S. After the Usual Suspects of Perpetually Outraged started, a number of former tennis stars, such as Martina, have blamed . . .

. . .

. . . The Black Woman Serena.

Appealing to John McEnroe is like claiming now that you could pile-drive Terry Bradshaw or clothesline Kurt Rambis, "so why a foul NOW?!!!1!!!!"
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Dragline
Title: Top Dog

Post by Dragline » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 am

She didn't get docked a game because of her race or sex. She back-sassed a free man in a tall chair. They got their rules. We ain't got nothin' to do with that. Would probably have happened to her sooner or later anyway, a complainer like her.

She gotta learn the rules the same as anybody else.
He ain't in the box because of the joke played on him. He back-sassed a free man. They got their rules. We ain't got nothin' to do with that. Would probably have happened to him sooner or later anyway, a complainer like him. He gotta learn the rules the same as anybody else.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 am
(like this thread; people have been whispering about steroids without any evidence for her whole career).
Because having arms like Mark McGwire is not a data point?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 am
(like this thread; people have been whispering about steroids without any evidence for her whole career).
Because having arms like Mark McGwire is not a data point?
Not really. I'm sure she works out. It could be a combination of her natural genes and her workout regimen.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 am

And "pliability."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am

Meanwhile, Cannot Help Fools!

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:05 pm

In the olden days a newspaper like the Washington Post probably would have called it "racially charged" as a hedge. Now they just call it "racist".
William Shakespeare