FUCK Temple of Elemental Evil

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Mr Manifesto

FUCK Temple of Elemental Evil

Post by Mr Manifesto » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:22 pm

May I suggest to anyone considering buying Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil... DON'T. The damn thing is a beta game. Bugged to hell, and half of the monsters don't do anything.

Want some examples?

Basilisks- have bite attacks, and nothing else.
Chaggrin (elemental grues)- punch attack, nothing else.
Bodak- Punch attack, nothing else.
Gorgon- Butt attack, nothing else.
Drelb- punch attack, nothing else (not even energy drain)
Banshee- punch attack, nothing else...

Get the picture? I'm trying to figure out why they bothered with all the different monsters.

Pathfinding is non-existant. Even straight lines pose too much of a problem for the party sometimes. Quests are badly scripted (a couple of times I've 'solved' quests even though I didn't do what was required to complete it. In one baffling instance I found myself describing a monster I hadn't met to an NPC I was talking to). Some spells are pointless (you can learn Dimensional Anchor, a spell which 'bars extra-dimensional movement,' but since nothing moves in other dimensions (teleporting, blinking, or otherwise), you might as well wipe your ass on the spell. You can also learn 'Break Enchantment' which will cure you of no less than four different effects which you never have to fear during the course of the game). Doors that have been lock-picked will 'magically' lock themselves again later on for no real reason. Some doors are magically barred and don't do anything- they're just scenery. One in one area opens to a blank wall!

I'm not kidding when I say this is only the tip of the iceberg. The number of bugs, shonks, cheeses and exploits could fill a warehouse. What were Troika thinking when they released this shit?
"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."
-- Martha Stewart

Nyarlathotep

Re: FUCK Temple of Elemental Evil

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:35 pm

Mr Manifesto wrote: Gorgon- Butt attack, nothing else.
I know what you mean by this,but it's early in the morning and I haven't had cofee, so it gave me pause :D

I haven't purchased Temple of Elemental Evil but thanks for the warning. It sounds like a truly annoying set of bugs.

Chaos

Post by Chaos » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:23 pm

There is a patch available - has already been available for a few months, actually - that takes care of these bugs. The weak pathfinding routine stays, but is not as bad as it used to be.
"Woo-woo is as woo-woo does, to paraphrase Forrest Gump."
-Nyarlathotep

"Dreams are merely the cloaks we use when we wish to escape reality for a short time."
-Nigel

I don´t suffer from meglomania. I enjoy it thoroughly.
-Me

Mr Manifesto

Post by Mr Manifesto » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Chaos wrote:There is a patch available - has already been available for a few months, actually - that takes care of these bugs. The weak pathfinding routine stays, but is not as bad as it used to be.
Do you mean the official one, or the Circle of 8 one? I've updated with the latest patch, and it doesn't resolve any of the above issues.
"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."
-- Martha Stewart

Chaos

Post by Chaos » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:47 pm

Mr Manifesto wrote:
Chaos wrote:There is a patch available - has already been available for a few months, actually - that takes care of these bugs. The weak pathfinding routine stays, but is not as bad as it used to be.
Do you mean the official one, or the Circle of 8 one? I've updated with the latest patch, and it doesn't resolve any of the above issues.
I downloaded the patch - from the official site mentioned in the manual - several months ago, and I never had any of these issues except the weak pathfinding.
-Nyarlathotep

"Dreams are merely the cloaks we use when we wish to escape reality for a short time."
-Nigel

-Me

Mr Manifesto

Post by Mr Manifesto » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:00 am

So... what attack does the Bodak have besides just hitting you?
-- Martha Stewart

Chaos

Post by Chaos » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:05 pm

Mr Manifesto wrote:So... what attack does the Bodak have besides just hitting you?
I never got to face any Bodak...whatever that is.

But the enemies do use spells and special abilities. Bugbears, for example, seem to be very fond of trip attacks.
-Nyarlathotep

-Nigel

-Me