Wimbledon..........

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
wollery

Wimbledon..........

Post by wollery » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:25 pm

Yes, the British tennis season is in full swing once again.

How can I tell?

'Cause it's the middle of summer and the weather is fucking awful! :x

And the small amount of newspaper sports coverage that isn't dedicated to Wayne Rooney is taken up by Tim Henman. :roll:

And there's nothing on BBC except Tennis (and a bit of football). And because of the weather the coverage is mostly reruns of one of Henmans thrilling semi-final defeats to Pete Sampras! :roll:

Does anyone else have any thoughts on how the All England Lawn Tennis Association Championships will go?

Does anyone care?
It's not easy being a dolphin!

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Re: Wimbledon..........

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:42 pm

wollery wrote:
Does anyone else have any thoughts on how the All England Lawn Tennis Association Championships will go?
Well, looking out the window I reckon it will end up in the Thames Estuary.

iain

Post by iain » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:42 pm

No idea how it will go; but I do enjoy watching tennis from time to time. Shame my wife can't stand it really.

slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:14 pm

wollery wrote:Yes, the British tennis season is in full swing once again.

How can I tell?

And the small amount of newspaper sports coverage that isn't dedicated to Wayne Rooney is taken up by Tim Henman. :roll:

And there's nothing on BBC except Tennis (and a bit of football). And because of the weather the coverage is mostly reruns of one of Henmans thrilling semi-final defeats to Pete Sampras! :roll:

Does anyone care?
I do! :D

I love tennis, but I also love the rain right now at Wimbledon. That's because I don't get to see any of the tennis during the week, so the more it rains now, the more I'll get to see on the weekend :D :P

How will it go this year?

Believe it or not, I think Henman can win this year (first year I've felt that way). Of course, he's going to have to beat some big players to do it.... Philippousis in the fourth round maybe, Roddick in the Semis maybe, etc... but I think he finally seems to believe in himself enough. His problem has always been a mental one, he cracks under the pressure.

Other favorites are Federer and Roddick of course, but Roddick has been having a mediocre year so far and you never know when Federer is just going to play bad for a day, he seems to do that more often than someone of his talent should.

I say, GO GORAN! :mrgreen: I would LOVE to see him win again somehow :)

Adam
If there is a sin against life, its consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. -- Camus

Triangleman

Post by Triangleman » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:00 pm

I want Coria to win, only because the poor guy got some unreal bad-luck at the French Open Final. Go Coria!

Filippo Lippi

Post by Filippo Lippi » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:22 am

This isn't about Wimbledon officially changing their name to Milton Keynes Dons FC then?

Say it, "hell no, we won't go."
"...but please don't shout or speak to me too harshly,
because I'm not particularly brave."

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:29 pm

slimshady2357 wrote:
wollery wrote:Yes, the British tennis season is in full swing once again.

How can I tell?

Does anyone care?
I do! :D

(snip)

I say, GO GORAN! :mrgreen: I would LOVE to see him win again somehow :)
Adam
I say GO GORAN as well! As I am Croatian, I also say go Ancic, Karlovic, Sprem and Talaja, though I admit they are a bit less famous (though Sprem just defeated Venus Williams!)

But Goran is really something special...I went to see him play in Queens club the other week, and I got his autograph! Yeah!

I love tennis. Actually, I love watching it, I never actually played. I will probably try to wake up really early on Saturday and go to Wimbledon and try to get in. At least to "Henman Hill" to watch Ivanisevic play Hewitt.

Anyway, I doubt Goran will manage to go much further - even if he beats Hewitt he would get to play Federer in the fourth round.

And if Goran loses I might actually support Tim. :D

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:51 pm

Well, that was an emotional goodbye to Goran... :( :( :(

wollery

Post by wollery » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:57 pm

Are you going to be rooting for Tim then?
It's not easy being a dolphin!

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 pm

I think I will be supporting Tim (except if he plays any of the two remaining Croatian guys).

slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:53 am

tanja wrote:I say GO GORAN as well! As I am Croatian, I also say go Ancic, Karlovic, Sprem and Talaja, though I admit they are a bit less famous (though Sprem just defeated Venus Williams!)
Yes, poor Goran :( I was sad to see him go, I've always cheered for him, he was such a personality. :)

But Ancic and Karlovic also made it through, so that's nice. I don't know Ancic, but I would love to see Karlovic do well and move into the second week.

Sprem's win was just huge! And what a strange tie-break :shock: I've never seen anything like that before.
But Goran is really something special...I went to see him play in Queens club the other week, and I got his autograph! Yeah!
:o Wow, I am very envious! :D
I love tennis. Actually, I love watching it, I never actually played. I will probably try to wake up really early on Saturday and go to Wimbledon and try to get in. At least to "Henman Hill" to watch Ivanisevic play Hewitt.
Stop! Stop! You're killing me! :shock: ;)

I'll be there next year, and I'll be doing everything I can to get some tickets.

Adam
If there is a sin against life, its consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. -- Camus

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:30 am

Well, it's saturday morning and I feel really lazy (I just finished my second week at my new job) so I am very tired, and at the moment I can't be bothered to go to the corner shop to get some milk, let alone to Wimbledon. Anyway, they have loads of doubles scheduled for today, and they are not so interesting to me.

And I thought that Ivanisevic and Hewitt would play on Saturday, but they of course played on friday :( .

I am glad you spotted Karlovic (not that he is difficult to spot, being the tallest player on the tour). He is a late bloomer, but he is getting better and better, and he has a huge serve (he served 40 aces in his last match).

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:01 pm

Good thing I did not go - the play was supposed to start at 11am. It is 3pm and there is still no play because of rain. :(

Tanja

Post by Tanja » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:01 pm

Bye bye Henman!

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:46 pm

Can you believe it?

That Sharapova sort beat Mike Tyson in the final.

I watched the game from a distance of one inch, purely so I could lick the screen whenever Maria was serving.