2 big ass crosses to be built near Houston

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
NightG1

2 big ass crosses to be built near Houston

Postby NightG1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 pm

There is a big ass kooky kult near my house called Grace Community Church that wants to build two monuments to themselves along I-45. They will will build these monstrosities on their own property which I guess makes it OK since Houston has no real zoning to speak of.

These things are butt ugly with a globe-looking thingie in the middle that is supposed to look like the "space needle" or some such according to a representative of the kult. Actually, the crosses only make up part of the structure which only makes them look kinda kitschy and sort of weird.

The kult owns two campuses, one down by Hobby airport and one, unfortunately, about a mile from my house. They are north and south of Houston. Billboards announcing (there are 2 in the north) the construction of the wacky crosses claim that Grace is "marking Houston" for Jebus. Sort of like what cats do to your house if you don't train them properly.

My favorite quote:
Riggle sees the crosses as a symbolic stand against moral decay. "The freeways are littered with sexually oriented businesses," he said. "I'd rather see something that stands for hope, life and faith."

I took a quick survey of the area about a mile north and south of where the "North Cross" will be erected and of the 16 of so billboards in that area, car dealership and spec home developer billboards far out number everything else. There are 2 billboards for grocery stores, one for a program on an AM talk radio station, one the for MD Anderson cancer treatment center, and several others for various non-sexually oriented businesses. There is a grand total of one billboard for a place called "Love Works" (may not be SFW) that says on its billboard "The Store for Lovers" and has a photo of a girl wearing a very modest lingerie get-up.

This is typical for these idiots. They have to make up some bullshit excuse of spending an outrageous amount of money just so they can justify wasting money better spent on, oh...I don't know....poor people perhaps or those confronting some horrible disease.

My favorite comment came from the CEO of Interfaith Ministries...

Grace has the "right to do anything they want" on its property, said Elliot Gershenson, the leader of Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston.

"I would question, however, whether in the times of scarcity that we are in, there aren't better ways to express the way each of us, in our own way, walk in God's path," said Gershenson, president and CEO of Interfaith Ministries.

Yep.

And you know what else...Love Works, unlike the kooky kult down the road, pays taxes on its revenue.
Last edited by NightG1 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Sounds familiar. There's a church in Memphis that put three crosses facing I-40 on their property several years back.

NightG1

Postby NightG1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 pm

The statue of Sam Houston mentioned in the article looks like this:

As he was in real life, this statue of Sam is 77 feet tall. The crosses will be nearly three times as tall.

ETA: he is supposed to be gazing off to the south west towards the city that bears his name....sort of. According to some....and stuff.

Dappadee

Postby Dappadee » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 am

Maybe it's time for you to 'erect' a huge inflatable penis in your front garden?
Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-women was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...seems plausible.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:03 am

Building churches as the tallest thing around is an old tradition and hardly peculiar to Texas.

Saint Patrick's was the tallest building in New York City when it was built.

Of course there is the question of taste.

This ...

... versus this:

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18 am

Mordread wrote:Sounds familiar. There's a church in Memphis that put three crosses facing I-40 on their property several years back.

How appropriate of them to memorialize the two thieves, only one of whom allegedly went to Paradise.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:20 am

Riggle sees the crosses as a symbolic stand against moral decay. "The freeways are littered with sexually oriented businesses," he said. "I'd rather see something that stands for hope, life and faith."

Sorry...the cross stands for a brutal form of slow execution.

On fire, it stands for the threat of a brutal form of slow execution.

Wonder if any of the pastors have dibs on the construction contracts.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Major Malfunction

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:02 pm

I see lots and lots of little crosses on the side of the road every day. They stand for stupid.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

a.s. shole

Postby a.s. shole » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm

*groan*

Effingham, Il. Has one similar to this, although not quite as ornate. (See attached.) At night, you can see the floodlights on it for miles around.

Nothing like the "light" blinding truckers in the middle of the night and causing accidents. Go Xtianity!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not.

specious_reasons

Postby specious_reasons » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:05 pm

a.s. shole wrote:*groan*

Effingham, Il. Has one similar to this, although not quite as ornate. (See attached.) At night, you can see the floodlights on it for miles around.

Nothing like the "light" blinding truckers in the middle of the night and causing accidents. Go Xtianity!

I've driven by this. It's just a big plain cross, hardly inspiring in my mind.
ta-
DAVE!!!

ed
Title: Team Member

Postby ed » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 pm

are you sure that they are not just lower case "t's"?
"O, if George should die, the sorrow and the woe, O, the black grief of the world ..."

"Critical situations first become crises when oxen or women get excited."

"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."
Truman Capote

clarsct

Postby clarsct » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Funny...you never see anyone erecting a huge Star of David....just sayin'...
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

izittrue

Postby izittrue » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm

On a different topic I did see a commercial on Faux news channel for the Creation Museum.... prepare to believe..

Can you believe it?
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

NightG1

Postby NightG1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:16 pm

There is one in Florida too that is vying for the "world's tallest cross" title. Sort of like the world's biggest ball of string or the world's biggest bass.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:32 pm

clarsct wrote:Funny...you never see anyone erecting a huge Star of David....just sayin'...

A number of years back there was controversy about the Lubavitcher Chassidim planning to put a gigantic menorah atop Bear Mountain (in New York state). They were prevailed upon not to do it, mostly by other Jews.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:58 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Mordread wrote:Sounds familiar. There's a church in Memphis that put three crosses facing I-40 on their property several years back.

How appropriate of them to memorialize the two thieves, only one of whom allegedly went to Paradise.

Well, it's not every day that you get to spend money to put 200+ ft crosses in your front yard.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 am

I like the OP. They're putting up ass crosses? Good. I'd rather they do that than be a hidden underground of poor taste.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Major Malfunction

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:31 am

Excellent. Now Humanity is prepared with the infrastructure we need in case we are invaded by an army of 50-foot Jesuses.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

a.s. shole

Postby a.s. shole » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:50 am

specious_reasons wrote:

Never said that it was inspiring. Just annoying.
It's better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am

a.s. shole wrote:
specious_reasons wrote:

Never said that it was inspiring. Just annoying.

Sign, sign,
Everywhere a sign,
Fucking up the scenery and
Breakin' my mind,
Do this, don't do that,
Can't ya read the
Sign!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”