The Case Against Abdul Alhazred

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Mr Manifesto

The Case Against Abdul Alhazred

Post by Mr Manifesto »

Well, in case you didn't notice, Abdul Alhazred (herein AA) is spamming the shit out of the Politics forum.

Believe it or not, some of us want to use the forum to discuss politics. Oh, I know, Rikzilla thinks some of us are being less than civil, but that's the nature of the beast. It's what happens when you discuss something you passionately believe in. And, some of us would prefer to do this without being interrupted by keck-headed threads from AA.

Does this forum not have a rule against flooding and spamming? If not, maybe we should call the Smithsonian. It'd be the only BB in the world not to have a policy. The reason such policies are in place is to keep dickheads like AA from fucking up forums.

AA says that we should put him on ignore (see Fool' "Fuck off" thread in that forum if you don't believe me). Now, the first thing I thought was, "what dickhead doesn't realise that the 'ignore' function doesn't filter thread titles, the abundance of which is making AA such a royal pain in the ass?" But then I thought, maybe he isn't a dickhead this time. Maybe the forum has been set up so that threads can be put on ignore, too. So, I experimented by putting AA on ignore.

Nope. AA is just a dickhead.

I realise that you want this to be a free-speech-for-all forum, but can we accept that AA has gone just a little too far and ask him not to be a fucking dickhead pain in the ass? If we can't, is it cool if I can be a pain in the ass, too?
"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."
-- Martha Stewart
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

For some reason, I couldn't find the simple rules by which this forum is run... I didn't exert much effort looking, though. Even the definition for spam can have grey areas, this is definitely in the grey...

At least he's not posting w/misleading titles, like "The latest Senate intelligence committee reports.." then writing about the "A" train. It's easier to ignore.

I suspect he'll get bored with it soon enough. If not, we'll just have to fight with more speech. We'll encourage Sundog to produce more anti-righty posts, and I'll contribute with more bias in the media threads.

Yea! Power to the people!
ta-
DAVE!!!
Mr Manifesto

Re: The Case Against Abdul Alhazred

Post by Mr Manifesto »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Is it really so tough to avoid reading threads you don't like?

You say "spamming" but is it really that much traffic?

And don't I post more conventionally political threads than you or Fool?
The issue isn't about avoiding reading your threads, dickhead.
The issue isn't about traffic, dickhead.
The issue is that you are bumping the other threads down with your relentless bullshit.

Now, if this is acceptable, I'd like skeptica to confirm this so that I can do the same myself.
"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."
-- Martha Stewart
Giz

Post by Giz »

Mr Manifesto wrote: The issue is that you are bumping the other threads down with your relentless bullshit.

Now, if this is acceptable, I'd like skeptica to confirm this so that I can do the same myself.
What is the issue with scrolling past a couple of train threads... all this does is add threads about threads about trains to the existing threads about trains.

Is it that there weren't any for ages and then three came along at once?
Sock

Post by Sock »

"Sock is funny!" - [url=http://www.pennandteller.com/03/coolstuff/penniphile/sockpage.htm]New York Times[/url]
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Hmmmm...

There ARE a lot of threads that have been started by AA in the Politics section. :eek: :D

But, you guys seem to be participating in them for the most part. How about we all calm down and see what happens with AA's threads? Or, start some of your own threads.

I haven't gotten complaints from anyone yet. Where's Rikzilla? ;)

G6
Mr Manifesto

Post by Mr Manifesto »

skeptica wrote:Hmmmm...

There ARE a lot of threads that have been started by AA in the Politics section. :eek: :D

But, you guys seem to be participating in them for the most part. How about we all calm down and see what happens with AA's threads? Or, start some of your own threads.

G6
So, is it okay for me to start lots of threads in Banter?
-- Martha Stewart
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

skeptica wrote:

G6
Well, theoretically you have since this whole thread is started with what amounts to a complaint :wink:

But I will chip in with this though. AA's train threads do not interest me in any way, shape, or form. I just scroll past them and if I had something political to say, I would just start my own thread in the area and bump it if the trains moved it to close to the bottom. I don't see the problem, personally.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mr Manifesto wrote:

G6
Seems like you don't quite get this board. Maybe you prefer the structure of a moderated board, but this one is unmoderated. Start all the threads you like, and until you break one of the rules, you'll be fine.

Oh, by the way, how's your girlfriend? Seems as though you put a lot of us on high warning alert because she attempted suicide, and you joked about it. I lost a helluva lot of respect for you after that.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote: But I will chip in with this though. AA's train threads do not interest me in any way, shape, or form. I just scroll past them and if I had something political to say, I would just start my own thread in the area and bump it if the trains moved it to close to the bottom. I don't see the problem, personally.
Which is sensible. I only read a fraction of the threads here, and mostly it is simple lack of interest, not active dislike of the unread threads. So maybe I miss something.

Actually, I think the train thing is just a pretext for giving me shit.
Why would that be? I like trains, as I've said, and at worst I'm just kind of puzzled about the train threads. I'd only ask (for my own information) you to put more info about the platforms, trains, locomotives, etc so I can follow along easier. Kinda like can't tell the players without a scorecard.

Other than that, I don't have a problem with the threads at all.

edit: you put info (This is where I grew up) on one picture. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. :)
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Mr Manifesto wrote:
Basically, yes... This would be the point of an unmoderated free speech board. It's also the price you pay for an unmoderated, free-speech board, you might see things you otherwise don't care about. BTW, you also have the ability to complain vitrolically about it. :)

I submit that AA's threads don't count as "spam" because while they're the same topic, they're different subjects, not the same thing over and over again. You might get in trouble if you posted the exact same thing as many times as AA.
ta-
DAVE!!!
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Mr Manifesto wrote:

G6
Okay, let's clarify something here.

Spam is the same thing over and over again. He is not posting the same thing over and over again. For instance, if he started posting a political statement multiple times (there is a threshold level), then yes, he'd be spamming and he would be out of here.

Please present a case for him spamming and I will gladly act on it.

Yes, free speech sucks sometimes. ;)

G6
viscousmemories

Post by viscousmemories »

skeptica wrote:Spam is the same thing over and over again. He is not posting the same thing over and over again. For instance, if he started posting a political statement multiple times (there is a threshold level), then yes, he'd be spamming and he would be out of here.
I know this is common usage and I'm not trying to be a pedant, but I think it's important to differentiate between spam and flooding. Spam is technically commercial advertising. Posting the same thing over and over is flooding. I'm not sure if both or only the latter is actually forbidden here, but if it's just flooding you may want to clarify the rule.
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Ahhh... Flooding.

Well, that is an altogether different thing. We do have a rule against flooding.

G6
viscousmemories

Post by viscousmemories »

skeptica wrote:Ahhh... Flooding.

Well, that is an altogether different thing. We do have a rule against flooding.

G6
Meh. I think I was wrong anyway. After reading the link in your clarified rules and the definition of spamming at Wikipedia, it seems that the definitions of flooding and spam have essentially merged. Sorry. :)
Mr Manifesto

Post by Mr Manifesto »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

G6
So how much traffic constitutes flooding?

Shall we ration posts per day?

Fool and Manifesto just don't my politics and the train complaint is a pretext for giving me shit.
Yes, that's right, we just don't your politics.

Either that or we're pissed off that we have to sift through fifty fucking threads on trains in the politics forum.

In your own words: "Have I hijacked this forum yet?"

Yeah, sounds like you don't want to stir shit, you're just a poor possum who's being oppressed.

Skeptica: I'd like to start thirty or forty threads in Banter on the subject of AA being a dickhead. I won't say the same thing in each thread. The titles will also be different. Is that acceptable?
-- Martha Stewart
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

G6

Fool and Manifesto just don't my politics and the train complaint is a pretext for giving me shit.
Spam, flooding, etc... As VM has pointed out, it looks like the definitions have merged. Im going to have to make sure we have a clear guideline.

As far as I'm concerned, you are okay. The threshold seems to be 20 instances.

You are not engaged in either. But, you are making your presence felt and known. That has it's own set of consequences. ;)

G6
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

Mr Manifesto wrote: Yes, that's right, we just don't your politics.

Either that or we're pissed off that we have to sift through fifty fucking threads on trains in the politics forum.

In your own words: "Have I hijacked this forum yet?"

Yeah, sounds like you don't want to stir shit, you're just a poor possum who's being oppressed.

Skeptica: I'd like to start thirty or forty threads in Banter on the subject of AA being a dickhead. I won't say the same thing in each thread. The titles will also be different. Is that acceptable?
Am I your mom? Come on! Do you REALLY want to do that? {sigh}

My best and most constructive suggestion here is to start your own threads about some interesting things that YOU want to talk about.

G6
Last edited by skeptica on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tamiO

Post by tamiO »

G6
skeptica....
What is the intent of the flooding rule? Why do you have it - what was it designed to prevent?

Do you think AA posts too much?
Do you think a couple of members complain too much?

What is the problem here?

edited to add: never mind - looks like things are being sorted out. :)
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

tamiO wrote:skeptica....
What is the intent of the flooding rule? Why do you have it - what was it designed to prevent?

Do you think AA posts too much?
Do you think a couple of members complain too much?

What is the problem here?
The rule against flooding was designed to prevent a poster from taking over any of the forums or the forum itself.

It was a more general application instance of spamming. However, it looks like the definitions of spamming and flooding have merged to mean almost the same thing.

AA posted a LOT of threads on Politics. Some people don't want to post in his threads for whatever reason. They are free to not post. But, I believe that their concern is that the threads are dominating the Politics forum.

Is it abusive? It can be. Is he repeating the same thing over and over again? No. So, it's a fine line. It goes straight to the heart of someone's credibility and netcitizenship here.

Do I think a couple of members complain too much? Not at all! They are free to complain as much as they want. I really don't think any of you complain that much. I do think that some calls to action are not warranted at times especially since some simple solutions to this haven't been explored.

Again, the simple solution here is to post some other interesting threads. I can't believe that Abdul is the only one with anything to say. :)

G6
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

I'm not going to lock it. It will sink. :)

thanks!
G6
Blue Monk

Post by Blue Monk »

Geez, leave Abdul Alhazred alone.

How big of a pussy does one have to be to complain that someone is posting something they don’t want to read?

I don’t seem to have any problem finding the threads I want to participate in.
Ceinwyn

Post by Ceinwyn »

Blue Monk wrote:Geez, leave Abdul Alhazred alone.

How big of a pussy does one have to be to complain that someone is posting something they don’t want to read?

I don’t seem to have any problem finding the threads I want to participate in.
Agreed.

I don't frequent the politics forum much, but there are some posters in general I'd love to see...oh, let's say gently manhandled and sternly chastised. Of course, that won't happen and that's fine. This is an unmoderated board with all the pros and cons.

Well handled, skeptica. I do consider you a fantastic webmaster.
Goshawk

Post by Goshawk »

Well handled, skeptica.
Yup. :clap:
Brian the Snail

Post by Brian the Snail »

Ceinwyn wrote:
I don't frequent the politics forum much, but there are some posters in general I'd love to see...oh, let's say gently manhandled and sternly chastised.
:db:
Of course, that won't happen
:sadbanana:
a_unique_person

Post by a_unique_person »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

G6

Bullshit. The train thing is just a load of crap. Start a train thread, I am interested myself in why we don't spend more money on such an economical form of transport, but now you are posting more absurd threads, such as a picture of a building. WTF?
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

a_unique_person wrote: Bullshit. The train thing is just a load of crap. Start a train thread, I am interested myself in why we don't spend more money on such an economical form of transport, but now you are posting more absurd threads, such as a picture of a building. WTF?
Says someone who has posted three times on this forum so far.

Don't like it - ignore it. Start your own threads on subjects you are interested in and stick to them. It's not difficult.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Giz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:01 pm
Mr Manifesto wrote: What is the issue with scrolling past a couple of train threads... all this does is add threads about threads about trains to the existing threads about trains.

:mrgreen:
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris