Why Florida is an awsome place to live

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Why Florida is an awsome place to live

Post by Rob Lister »

"Inert" pretty makes it military but it's painted the wrong color. Should be green if it's one of ours.

I can't tell how big it is and I'm not sure it is a sea mine. it's an oddity,.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

Rob Lister wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 am "Inert" pretty makes it military but it's painted the wrong color. Should be green if it's one of ours.

Maybe it was in the water so long the green got washed off it? :P

According to this story (with more pictures), it's about four feet diameter:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/fl ... story.html
gnome

Post by gnome »

What is the purpose of it, if it is inert? An exercise in finding devices of that shape?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:42 am
A possible military explosive device washed ashore on a Florida beach

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/04/us/n ... index.html

Now really ed, look after your stuff!
A mine. Interesting.
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

gnome wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am What is the purpose of it, if it is inert? An exercise in finding devices of that shape?
Deploying them maybe. It is also inert until it's "ert". Maybe they are shipped that way to a depot wherein they are armed and "erted", as we call it here in Fla.
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

2021 hurricane forecast: 17 storms, 8 hurricanes, 4 major ones

Get ready for another busy hurricane season in 2021.

The first major forecast of the season calls for 17 named storms, eight hurricanes and four major hurricanes, according to Colorado State University research scientist Phil Klotzbach, one of the world’s top hurricane forecasters.

It is the sixth year in a row that what forecasters call an above-average season has been predicted for the Atlantic. The 30-year average is 12 named storms and six hurricanes.

This year there is a 69 percent chance that a major hurricane will make landfall in the U.S., according to the Colorado State University forecast.

There is a 45 percent chance one could strike Florida or the east coast, and a 44 percent of landfall anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Texas along the Gulf Coast.

Hurricane season starts June 1, peaks in September and ends Nov. 30. But in recent years storms have formed before and after that traditional window.
https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2021 ... ajor-ones/

Stock up your bunker, ed.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Does CSU predict well? last year is a good example. I should check out their misses and hits.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed

Post by ed »

You think thats a joke?
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

Lake Ed has a new spokesperson.
This space for let
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Rob Lister wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 am "Inert" pretty makes it military but it's painted the wrong color. Should be green if it's one of ours.

It's a sea target mine, and it is one of yours.

So, you pretty much got everything wrong. And that means you win.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:22 pm You think thats a joke?
Not at all… by local customs.

E. g.: Florida woman who claimed to be Harry Potter killed judge in hit-and-run, officials say.

:roll:
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 pm
Spoiler:
ed wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:22 pm You think thats a joke?
Not at all… by local customs.

E. g.: Florida woman who claimed to be Harry Potter killed judge in hit-and-run, officials say.

:roll:
Snape remained jailed on Sunday on $60,000 bond. The Palm Beach county public defender’s office has a policy of not speaking about its cases.

For a hit-and-run which killed a federal judge and injured a child, that bond seems really low.
ed

Post by ed »

Its Harry though
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

Florida Man Who Posed as Immigration Lawyer Gets 20-Year Sentence

Elvis Harold Reyes filed hundreds of fraudulent applications, collecting $411,000 that he spent on himself and his girlfriend, prosecutors said.

A Florida man who posed as an immigration lawyer, filing hundreds of fraudulent asylum applications and collecting more than $411,000 from unwitting clients, has been sentenced to more than 20 years in prison, federal prosecutors said.

The man, Elvis Harold Reyes, 56, of Brandon, Fla., pleaded guilty in December to charges of mail fraud and aggravated identity theft, and was sentenced on Monday to serve 20 years and nine months, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida said in a statement.

From 2016 to 2019, Mr. Reyes, who owned and operated a Christian nonprofit group called EHR Ministries Inc., portrayed himself as an immigration lawyer even though he was not licensed as one, according to court documents. A website for the ministry says it helps prepare immigration documents and applications, provides “wedding ceremony services” and caters “to those that are away from any home church.”

Prosecutors said Mr. Reyes sought out undocumented immigrants in the Tampa area who were originally from Spanish-speaking countries and were seeking Florida driver’s licenses and work authorization. Clients retained and paid Mr. Reyes to represent them on immigration-related matters before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and other agencies, prosecutors said.

He charged about $5,000 for his services, according to court documents.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/us/e ... ation.html