A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by shemp »

No different than the office then.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

shemp wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:53 am No different than the office then.
Same shit, different sewer.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/EM2lI1R.png
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/IQowLh2.jpg
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Every dead body on Mt Everest is still there
Witness

Post by Witness »

“Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake.”
– Bertrand Russell, Is There a God?
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:12 am
“Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake.”
– Bertrand Russell, Is There a God?
And, I assume it goes without saying, in that same article, Russell proposed to illustrate that point with a teapot:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Russell's_Teapot
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

https://i.ibb.co/T1zVS0t/5b420c9dc9c249812ce0e8e906920f1a.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

"A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men."
– Roald Dahl
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I developed a friendship with Peter O'Toole that last to this day. Even though he has the bad taste to remain dead.

– John Goodman
– J.D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."
– Pablo Picasso
Witness

Post by Witness »

I can better understand the inert blindness & defiant ignorance of the reactionaries from having been one of them. I know how smugly ignorant I was—wrapped up in the arts, the natural (not social) sciences, the externals of history & antiquarianism, the abstract academic phases of philosophy, & so on—all the one-sided standard lore to which, according to the traditions of the dying order, a liberal education was limited. God! the things that were left out—the inside facts of history, the rational interpretation of periodic social crises, the foundations of economics & sociology, the actual state of the world today … & above all, the habit of applying disinterested reason to problems hitherto approached only with traditional genuflections, flag-waving, & callous shoulder-shrugs! All this comes up with humiliating force through an incident of a few days ago—when young Conover, having established contact with Henneberger, the ex-owner of WT, obtained from the latter a long epistle which I wrote Edwin Baird on Feby. 3, 1924, in response to a request for biographical & personal data. Little Willis asked permission to publish the text in his combined SFC-Fantasy, & I began looking the thing over to see what it was like—for I had not the least recollection of ever having penned it. Well …. I managed to get through, after about 10 closely typed pages of egotistical reminiscences & showing-off & expressions of opinion about mankind & the universe. I did not faint—but I looked around for a 1924 photograph of myself to burn, spit on, or stick pins in! Holy Hades—was I that much of a dub at 33 … only 13 years ago? There was no getting out of it—I really had thrown all that haughty, complacent, snobbish, self-centred, intolerant bull, & at a mature age when anybody but a perfect damned fool would have known better! That earlier illness had kept me in seclusion, limited my knowledge of the world, & given me something of the fatuous effusiveness of a belated adolescent when I finally was able to get around more in 1920, is hardly much of an excuse. Well—there was nothing to be done … except to rush a note back to Conover & tell him I’d dismember him & run the fragments through a sausage-grinder if he ever thought of printing such a thing! The only consolation lay in the reflection that I had matured a bit since '24. It’s hard to have done all one’s growing up since 33—but that’s a damn sight better than not growing up at all.

– H. P. Lovecraft, letter to C. L. Moore in February of 1937
He died a month later.

Another bit of trivia I gathered:
[…] the way we all commonly say “Cthulhu” is probably incorrect. Lovecraft wrote that it was meant to be pronounced Khlûl′-hloo: “the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, hence the h represents the guttural thickness.” However, this is only an approximation as humans are not actually capable of properly articulating the language or reality of this entity.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Generally speaking, the quality of writing isn’t very good. Reading good writing and listening to good music are incredibly important things in life. So, to phrase it from the other way around, there’s nothing better than not listening to bad music and not reading bad writing.

– Haruki Murakami on his refusal to use social media
– J.D.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/sXIOxM6.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

“Most writers regard the truth as their most valuable possession, and therefore are economical in its use.”
― Mark Twain
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/iI3tohg.jpg
xouper

Post by xouper »

I got this yesterday in my haul of free kindle books from amazon:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51kiTrtHfZL.jpg

Some Mistakes are Worth Not Regretting
by Kokab Rahman
published January 24, 2013 (9 pages)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5MHB4A/

Free yesterday, 99 cents today.

I've been waiting eight years to get this book. Victory at last. But that's another thought for another day. :P
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You’d be surprised at the breadth of things that can be powered by the souls of the innocent. Fortresses, swords, my favorite chandelier.

– Ragyō Kiryūin, Kill la Kill
– J. "Turning 'Your Mom!' into a Tragedy" D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”

― Plato
Witness

Post by Witness »

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'."
— Michael McClary
xouper

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 pm
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'."
— Michael McClary
That's an interesting thought. It's a thought-provoking thought. Which leads to a plethora of subsequent thoughts, such as, of what use can we make of that thought? Does it help getting desalinated seawater into places where it's needed but where there is insufficient rain?

Don't mind me, I'm just thought-ing out loud. :P
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

was that called a strike
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 am was that called a strike
Third choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_pitch
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

My mind is dried up, exhausted. I’m disgusted to be back in this damned country [France] where you see the sun in the sky about as often as a diamond in a pig’s asshole.

Gustave Flaubert | Letter to Ernest Chevalier, 14 Nov 1840
xouper

Post by xouper »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 am was that called a strike
OK, I'll say it . . . I thought that was a clever pun. :bigthumb:
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ego gets you your ass whipped! Figuratively and literally!

– Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
– J.D.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

They promised us peace and gave us desolation
-Tacitus (Germania?)
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Barbara Tuchmann has a way with words. Peruse her quotes
https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes ... _W_Tuchman
“Disaster is rarely as pervasive as it seems from recorded accounts. The fact of being on the record makes it appear continuous and ubiquitous whereas it is more likely to have been sporadic both in time and place. Besides, persistence of the normal is usually greater than the effect of the disturbance, as we know from our own times. After absorbing the news of today, one expects to face a world consisting entirely of strikes, crimes, power failures, broken water mains, stalled trains, school shutdowns, muggers, drug addicts, neo-Nazis, and rapists. The fact is that one can come home in the evening--on a lucky day--without having encountered more than one or two of these phenomena. This has led me to formulate Tuchman's Law, as follows: "The fact of being reported multiplies the apparent extent of any deplorable development by five- to tenfold" (or any figure the reader would care to supply).”
― Barbara W. Tuchman, A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Why is it still called a "building", even after they're done building the building? Shouldn't it be called a "built"?

It's not like they still call it a "construction" after they're done constructing the construct. That wouldn't be constructive.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Bruce wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 pm Why is it still called a "building", even after they're done building the building? Shouldn't it be called a "built"?
Ha! George Carlin would be proud:

"Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?"
"Why do ships carry cargo and cars carry shipments?"

Anyway, if I may put on my party-pooper hat, your question is explained in definition 2a:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/-ing
2a : product or result of an action or process
example: an engraving
Adding the -ing suffix is a common way to make a noun from a verb. Which is why "building" is both a noun and a verb.

Well, you asked. :P
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

“I can’t afford to hate anyone. I don’t have that kind of time.”
— Akira Kurosawa
Witness

Post by Witness »

Nothing beats land: Bill Gates is now America’s biggest farmer

Late in life, the sultan of software, emperor of intangibles, has discovered what the British aristocracy have known for a thousand years: nothing beats land.

There is a certain irony, of course, about Gates, 65, becoming the USA’s biggest private owner of farmland, which American publication the Land Report recently declared him to be. Here is the epitome of elite coastal America, born in liberal Seattle on the Pacific, educated (until he dropped out) at Harvard, investing financially and emotionally in the rural “fly-over” states between, swapping ones and zeros for soil and sod.

His taste for the tilth knows few rivals, now that he has put together a reported portfolio of prime farmland amounting to 269,000 acres (108,860 hectares) – 6000 more than the farmland held by the Queen in the Crown Estate.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/markets ... 57hd0.html for details.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Keiichi, where there is light, there is always shadow, and in the same way, where there are good places, there are bad ones as well. There are instances where treading upon such places will make people miserable without reason. When we humans are unable to define such dreadful places in words, we call such places "taboo."

– Furude Rika
https://i.imgur.com/IEpPtHx.mp4

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 am Nothing beats land: Bill Gates is now America’s biggest farmer

Late in life, the sultan of software, emperor of intangibles, has discovered what the British aristocracy have known for a thousand years: nothing beats land.

There is a certain irony, of course, about Gates, 65, becoming the USA’s biggest private owner of farmland, which American publication the Land Report recently declared him to be. Here is the epitome of elite coastal America, born in liberal Seattle on the Pacific, educated (until he dropped out) at Harvard, investing financially and emotionally in the rural “fly-over” states between, swapping ones and zeros for soil and sod.

His taste for the tilth knows few rivals, now that he has put together a reported portfolio of prime farmland amounting to 269,000 acres (108,860 hectares) – 6000 more than the farmland held by the Queen in the Crown Estate.
Just to split hairs, the Queen does not "hold" the CE. It is in the Public domain. Brenda cannot sell any of it nor can she add to it without approval. Think of it more as a Corporation where the public are the shareholders but the Govt. (the public - right?) and Brenda get the dividends.

The argument anti-royalists tend to cling to - that the taxpayer funds the royals - is nonsense. They do not. The royals fund the royals by a percentage of dividends from the the CE, most of which is surrendered to the Exchequer. It has been this way since 1760 in one form or another.

Obviously, the net benefit the public gets from these dividends is by-proxy state funded Liberian Lesbian geriatric dance initiatives in Walthamstow. Membership 2.

And one of them is dead. Murdered because someone didn't want to share the funding.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I blame Megan.

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm I blame Megan.

– J.D.
She's a what? What?