A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Doctor X »

Funny, I started reading from the beginning and wondered if it was Britany Spears.

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Their personality is such that they have not acquired a large and happy audience.

– お姉様
– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

This is racism:
He was a very strict but kind master, giving his servants that which is just and equal, but exacting from them proper obedience. . . . His training made the colored servants as polite and punctual as that race is capable of being, and his system soon showed its good effects. They realized that if they did their duty they would receive the best of treatment from him. At Christmas he was generous in presents, and frequently gave them small sums of money

– Wife of Lt. Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
– J.D.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Post by robinson »

Willie Morales is still alive and "free" somewhere in Cuba
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

some wag on the internet wrote:Life is Simpler If you Plow around the Stumps
robinson

Post by robinson »

Obviously never ran a plow before
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

@HaggardHawks
KLEPTOGYNY—literally, ‘woman-thieving’—is a mating tactic in which a low-ranking male mates with a female while the alpha male is distracted by another rival. In evolutionary biology, this behaviour is also known as the SNEAKY FUCKER STRATEGY.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The planet Uranus was discovered and named long before the continent of Antarctica was known to exist
robinson

Post by robinson »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Up until that moment, I believed that I had to be nice to everyone, no matter what. But then I learned something. There are some bad people in the world who don't deserve kindness.

– Ryūgū Rena
– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:38 pm
@HaggardHawks
KLEPTOGYNY—literally, ‘woman-thieving’—is a mating tactic in which a low-ranking male mates with a female while the alpha male is distracted by another rival. In evolutionary biology, this behaviour is also known as the SNEAKY FUCKER STRATEGY.
No one likes a snitch, sir.
robinson

Post by robinson »

That's not actually true.
xouper

Post by xouper »

There’s a Thin Line between
“I think I’ll post this to Facebook!” and
“I should talk to a therapist about that.”
robinson

Post by robinson »

Witness

Post by Witness »

“In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of.”
– Confucius
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Donald Black Jr.
@donaldblackjr

Hope is a way that people express that they want something to change without having to ever do any work for that change to happen
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Even if your centuries of scars are fading, they will never disappear.

– Furude Hanyū
– J.D.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/fC3lvzS.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

We are under obligation to the Ancients for having exhausted nearly all the misconceptions that could be formed.

– Bernard le Bovier de Fontenelle, Digression sur les Anciens et les Modernes (1688)
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Sonder - n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.
Witness

Post by Witness »

“You wouldn't know it, from some of the things I've said over the years, but I like people... I do... I like people, but I like them in short bursts. I don't like people for extended periods of time. I'm all right with them for a little while, but once you get past around a minute, minute-and-a-half, I gotta get the f*** outta there.”
― George Carlin, It's Bad for Ya
robinson

Post by robinson »

Back in the day, we figured out the wrestling shows were fake, but some kids still watched them

I think American politics has reached this point
xouper

Post by xouper »

https://randysrandom.com/keystone-of-tyranny/
“I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy … censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, ‘This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,’ the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.”
—Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100 (1953)
robinson

Post by robinson »

Secrecy is also the keystone of crime
Witness

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm https://randysrandom.com/keystone-of-tyranny/
“I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy … censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, ‘This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,’ the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.”
—Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100 (1953)
Discourse on Voluntary Servitude (1548) by Étienne de La Boétie.
Witness

Post by Witness »

I believe no satirist could breathe this air. If another Juvenal or Swift could rise up among us tomorrow, he would be hunted down. If you have any knowledge of our literature, and can give me the name of any man, American born and bred, who has anatomized our follies as a people, and not as this or that party; and who has escaped the foulest and most brutal slander, the most inveterate hatred and intolerant pursuit; it will be a strange name in my ears, believe me.

– Charles Dickens
robinson

Post by robinson »

To do evil a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good, or else that it’s a well-considered act in conformity with natural law. Fortunately, it is in the nature of the human being to seek a justification for his actions…

Ideology – that is what gives the evildoing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Witness

Post by Witness »

“Stick to journalism, Mr Cort, where you never have to understand anything.”

― Iain Pears
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The main thing about the Spanish princess is she is hideously ugly, and I could have felt a bit peeved at being cast in this role, because, although I am fat, I am charming, and pleasant looking.

– Miriam Margolyes, on The Queen of Spain's Beard
– J.D.
robinson

Post by robinson »

As time goes by

Everybody dies
xouper

Post by xouper »

If you wait long enough, all your problems will go away.
Witness

Post by Witness »

“A calendar was hung in the kitchen as if to say: Expect more of the same.”
― Gary Lutz
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Haggard Hawks 🦅
@HaggardHawks

ARENA is the Latin word for sand. It came to refer to a sports stadium through association with Roman amphitheatres, the centre stages of which were strewn with sand to soak up the combatants’ blood.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Pyrrho wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:20 pm
Haggard Hawks 🦅
@HaggardHawks

ARENA is the Latin word for sand. It came to refer to a sports stadium through association with Roman amphitheatres, the centre stages of which were strewn with sand to soak up the combatants’ blood.
I did not know that. Thanks.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Earlier today, I was in the drive-through at a local burger chain and there was a sign in the window (paraphrased to the best of my recollection):
The whole world
is short-staffed.
Please be kind to those
who showed up.
Perhaps I'll remember to get a picture next time.

The sign looked like it was designed and printed from a desktop computer printer on plain white paper, not some fancy commercial thing.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

https://i.imgur.com/Ypchynv.jpg

– J.D.
xouper

Post by xouper »

:roll:
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You did your military service, you got the DSO, ah . . . which there are not that many again these days, and I say, "Well done, you," for all that service you gave the country, and the job you did in Bosnia, what propels a guy like you to decide that running for Parliament is suddenly a good idea? – Nigel Farage

Well I've always been quite good at bullshitting. – Col. Bob Stewart, M.P.
– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:45 am
You did your military service, you got the DSO, ah . . . which there are not that many again these days, and I say, "Well done, you," for all that service you gave the country, and the job you did in Bosnia, what propels a guy like you to decide that running for Parliament is suddenly a good idea? – Nigel Farage

Well I've always been quite good at bullshitting. – Col. Bob Stewart, M.P.
– J.D.
I almost wish I could vote for him, and I know nothing about him save this quote.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

“Those who, from the start, are the unfortunate, the downtrodden, the broken – these are the ones, the weakest, who most undermine life amongst men, who introduce the deadliest poison and scepticism into our trust in life, in man, in ourselves. Where can we escape the surreptitious glance imparting a deep sadness, the backward glance of the born misfit revealing how such a man communes with himself, – that glance which is a sigh. ‘If only I were some other person!’ is what this glance sighs: ‘but there’s no hope of that. I am who I am: how could I get away from myself ? And oh – I’m fed up with myself!’ . . . In such a soil of self-contempt, such a veritable swamp, every kind of weed and poisonous plant grows, all of them so small, hidden, dissembling and sugary. Here, the worms of revenge and rancour teem all round; here, the air stinks of things unrevealed and unconfessed; here, the web of the most wicked conspiracy is continually being spun, – the conspiracy of those who suffer against those who are successful and victorious, here, the sight of the victorious man is hated. And what mendacity to avoid admitting this hatred as hatred! What expenditure of big words and gestures, what an art of ‘righteous’ slander! These failures: what noble eloquence flows from their lips! How much sugared, slimy, humble humility swims in their eyes! What do they really want? At any rate, to represent justice, love, wisdom, superiority, that is the ambition of these who are ‘the lowest’, these sick people! And how skilful such an ambition makes them! In particular, we have to admire the counterfeiter’s skill with which the stamp of virtue, the ding-a-ling golden ring of virtue is now imitated. They have taken out a lease on virtue to keep it just for themselves, these weak and incurably sick people, there is no doubt about it: ‘Only we are good and just’ is what they say, ‘only we are the homines bonæ voluntatis’. They promenade in our midst like living reproaches, like warnings to us, – as though health, success, strength, pride and the feeling of power were in themselves depravities for which penance, bitter penance will one day be exacted: oh, how ready they themselves are, in the last resort, to make others penitent, how they thirst to be hangmen! Amongst them we find plenty of vengeance-seekers disguised as judges, with the word justice continually in their mouth like poisonous spittle, pursing their lips and always at the ready to spit at anybody who does not look discontented and who cheerfully goes his own way. Among their number there is no lack of that most disgusting type of dandy, the lying freaks who want to impersonate ‘beautiful souls’ and put their wrecked sensuality on the market, swaddled in verses and other nappies, as ‘purity of the heart’: the type of moral onanists and ‘self-gratifiers.’ The will of the sick to appear superior in any way, their instinct for secret paths, which lead to tyranny over the healthy, – where can it not be found, this will to power of precisely the weakest!”

― Friedrich Nietzsche