Scotch Whiskey thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Scotch Whiskey thread

Post by Doctor X »

Macallan is pretty readily available. It is a great one to recommend to people as a starter.

– J.D.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Doctor X wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:40 pm Macallan is pretty readily available. It is a great one to recommend to people as a starter.

– J.D.
It’s true. You only need to start the night on a good one. As the evening goes on, you can crack open the paint stripper without noticing so much.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Macallan is absolutely readily available.

However, they also have several exclusives they do just for global travel, different regions, limited releases. That was one of them and I have not been able to find it since.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Dad would only drink scotch. Anything else, he said would give him a hangover. Beer and wine excluded, though, those were okay.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:05 pmHowever, they also have several exclusives they do just for global travel, different regions, limited releases. That was one of them and I have not been able to find it since.
I intended a kind, magNIfIcent, snarky reply that you simply just have not traveled to the correct places, dear boy, being a supporter of inferior sports teams and fan of boy bands.

However, I have noticed in the "Duty Free" some "exclusive" versions of whiskies that, when I investigated, realized were expensive blends of inferior versions. Have to send it somewhere!

Now I am not saying Your Mom that is what you found. But be careful. Back to Macallan, there are many versions. If you remember exactly what version it was, I might be able to suggest a similar.

For I am a RIVER of the Waters of Life to My People!

– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 am
Grammatron wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:05 pmHowever, they also have several exclusives they do just for global travel, different regions, limited releases. That was one of them and I have not been able to find it since.
I intended a kind, magNIfIcent, snarky reply that you simply just have not traveled to the correct places, dear boy, being a supporter of inferior sports teams and fan of boy bands.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there. That's below the belt.

Stick to calling people Nazis, that's fine. But boy bands ?!
Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:11 pm It’s true. You only need to start the night on a good one. As the evening goes on, you can crack open the paint stripper without noticing so much.
Sounds like a recipe for an awful hangover.

If the target is to get drunk cheaply, why not. If it is to enjoy the tastes quality, and what I would call "depth", has to continuously increase. And good wines or spirits don't kill you the day after. At least that's my experience. :wink:
Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:12 am
Giz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:11 pm It’s true. You only need to start the night on a good one. As the evening goes on, you can crack open the paint stripper without noticing so much.
Sounds like a recipe for an awful hangover.

If the target is to get drunk cheaply, why not. If it is to enjoy the tastes quality, and what I would call "depth", has to continuously increase. And good wines or spirits don't kill you the day after. At least that's my experience. :wink:
Ha - I was joking. And anyhow, since having small children I don’t think I’ve gotten seriously drunk. Knowing you have to be able to be responsible and that inevitably they’ll come and jump on you at 7am is a discouragement.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Good for you (in a way), but I've seen people… The BF of the sister of one of my exes could literally drink anything. For example rum from a mug… :mrgreen:
Giz

Post by Giz »

I mean, if the mug has an anchor on it…
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

However, I have noticed in the "Duty Free" some "exclusive" versions of whiskies that, when I investigated, realized were expensive blends of inferior versions. Have to send it somewhere!

Now I am not saying Your Mom that is what you found. But be careful. Back to Macallan, there are many versions. If you remember exactly what version it was, I might be able to suggest a similar.

– J.D.
You are correct, I have not travelled to the right places. I have yet to visit Scotland, they probably have ok stuff there to try.

I don't think this was a blend, but my recollection is poor. I think it was some anniversary release. But then again, branding can disguise that too.

I'm not that versed in Scotch as I am in Bourbon. What would you recommend to a Bourbon drinker in Scotch?
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Grammatron wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:04 am

– J.D.
You are correct, I have not travelled to the right places. I have yet to visit Scotland, they probably have ok stuff there to try.

I don't think this was a blend, but my recollection is poor. I think it was some anniversary release. But then again, branding can disguise that too.

I'm not that versed in Scotch as I am in Bourbon. What would you recommend to a Bourbon drinker in Scotch?
I have had recommended to me a few Scotches that use bourbon barrels (and they avoid the peaty -- extra smokey taste).

YMMV, as I have yet to take their recommendations (or find then locally):

- Deanston 12 year old
- Balvenie 12 year old

If you find one, let me know your thoughts.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Grammatron wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:04 amI'm not that versed in Scotch as I am in Bourbon. What would you recommend to a Bourbon drinker in Scotch?
Leave all jokes about "you drink t3h gh3y" aside, I am not as familiar with good bourbon, so it is hard for me to compare. Since you do not like the "smokey" peat taste and liked Macallan, I would recommend:
  • 1. Oban
    2. Balvenie
    3. Dalmore
    4. Dalwinie
Most likely, you can find Balvenie.

– J.D.