The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X »

That is actually accurate.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness

Post by Witness »

I blame the psychedelic carpet. :P
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Northerners indulging in a popular regional sporting event..."The two pint kickoff instigated by fat ugly red faced bird in bad clothes claiming someone was lustin' after her."

Witness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:49 am I blame the psychedelic carpet. :P
Typical pub carpet, camouflages beer, piss, spew, brown sauce and bodily fluid stains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pub+car ... 17&bih=673

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 am Typical pub carpet, camouflages beer, piss, spew, brown sauce and bodily fluid stains.
Claro, same as upholstery in public transportation. :|

Buckingham Palace banned ethnic minorities from office roles, papers reveal

Exclusive: Documents also shed light on Queen’s ongoing exemption from race and sex discrimination laws

The Queen’s courtiers banned “coloured immigrants or foreigners” from serving in clerical roles in the royal household until at least the late 1960s, according to newly discovered documents that will reignite the debate over the British royal family and race.

The documents also shed light on how Buckingham Palace negotiated controversial clauses – that remain in place to this day – exempting the Queen and her household from laws that prevent race and sex discrimination.

The papers were discovered at the National Archives as part of the Guardian’s ongoing investigation into the royal family’s use of an arcane parliamentary procedure, known as Queen’s consent, to secretly influence the content of British laws.

They reveal how in 1968, the Queen’s chief financial manager informed civil servants that “it was not, in fact, the practice to appoint coloured immigrants or foreigners” to clerical roles in the royal household, although they were permitted to work as domestic servants.

It is unclear when the practice ended. Buckingham Palace refused to answer questions about the ban and when it was revoked. It said its records showed people from ethnic minority backgrounds being employed in the 1990s. It added that before that decade, it did not keep records on the racial backgrounds of employees.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ers-reveal for the rest.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

David Mitchell summing things up perfectly:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Labour demands 'urgent investigation' into the Conservatives after Boris Johnson's party declares donations from companies that don't exist
  • EXCLUSIVE: Labour says Electoral Commission must open "urgent investigation" into potentially illegal donations.
  • Insider reported that the Conservative Party received donations from nonexistent companies.
  • The commission has the power to impose fines of £20,000 per offense.
  • Advocates say that UK political-finance law needs strengthening.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-demand ... 48399.html

In completely different news:
Police order parents to clean up mess after teen party in Derbyshire

Parents were ordered to clean up a "trail of wanton destruction" from an outdoor party held by their children.

Police found empty bottles, cans and piles of vomit at the unauthorised gathering in Hilton, Derbyshire, on Saturday night.

Mercia Safer Neighbourhood Team said rubbish bags were handed to parents and children to clear up the mess.

Derbyshire Police said work was ongoing to contact other young people who were seen leaving as officers arrived.

The force said the group of teenagers had gathered on the grounds of Hilton Harriers Football Club without permission and left rubbish scattered across the fields.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-57313589 :mrgreen:
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Keeping the tradition of child labor alive.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Chimney's not going to sweep themselves!

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Sometimes I wonder if all the modern British actors trying to do American accents is just long-term revenge for Dick Van Dyke.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Probably was.

Some, like Christian Bale, do a good job of it. I suppose it depends on the accent in question.

The lead actor of your favorite series, The Americans, [Stop that! – Ed.] has a completely different accent from the one which he performed on the show. Oddly enough, an old KGB defector who reviewed such shows noted that you could not expect even these characters to have lost their Russian accents.

There is an anime Anax and I like where they introduced American characters. They were appalling, so fans substituted their voices with the American dubbs!

Cheerio and by Jove!

– J.D.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

People say that Hugh Laurie did a believable USA accent as the star of House. Being English, I'm not qualified to tell.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Being an American I can tell you that he did an excellent job
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ceptimus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:57 pm People say that Hugh Laurie did a believable USA accent as the star of House. Being English, I'm not qualified to tell.
Hugh Laurie is probably the best example of American accent. If I wasn't familiar with his work prior to House I would not have though he was from UK.