The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X »

I would consider this "cruel and unusual punishment":
Review bid after right-wing extremist 'told to read classic books'

The Attorney General has been asked to review a sentence given to a right-wing extremist for a terrorism offence.

Ben John was handed the 24-month sentence, suspended for two years, at Leicester Crown Court on Tuesday.

According to media reports, the 21-year-old was also ordered by a judge to read classic novels such as Pride and Prejudice and to return to court in January.

In a letter, campaign group Hope Not Hate asked for a review of the case.

John, of Addison Drive, Lincoln, was found guilty of possessing a record of information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism on 12 August.

The offence under Section 58 of the Terrorism Act, which has a maximum sentence of 15 years' imprisonment, was brought following the discovery on a computer of a publication containing diagrams and instructions on how to construct various explosive devices.

Lincolnshire Police said John had also amassed 67,788 documents in bulk downloads on to hard drives, which contained "a wealth" of white supremacist and anti-Semitic material.

During the sentencing hearing, Judge Timothy Spencer QC is reported to have asked John: "Have you read Dickens? Austen?

"Start with Pride And Prejudice and Dickens's A Tale Of Two Cities. "Shakespeare's Twelfth Night." Think about Hardy. Think about Trollope.

"On January 4 you will tell me what you have read and I will test you on it."

The open letter, written by Hope Not Hate's chief executive Nick Lowles, stated: "A suspended sentence and a suggested reading list of English classics for a terror conviction is unduly lenient for a crime of this nature.

"This sentence is sending a message that violent right-wing extremists may be treated leniently by the courts.

"That is a dangerous message to send when the far-right poses the fastest growing terror threat today. These sorts of lenient sentences risk encouraging other young people to access and share terrorist and extremist content because they will not fear the repercussions of their actions."

Bugger'd by Colonists
– J.D.
Fid

Post by Fid »

I was criticized in high school English class for saying I preferred Melville over Dickens. Think about it, a 16 year old kid who slogged his way through David Copperfield and Moby Dick being taken to task for liking adventure and dick jokes (look it up) over wailing and gnashing of teeth due to social inequities.

But yeah, seems kinda cruel.
Giz

Post by Giz »

I had great expectations of dickens but reading it was tragedy
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Whereas you could have avoided the pathetic gay failure that was Melville and Dickens and read Ambrose Bierce and Joseph Conrad.

The problem with American literature is that it is young. There is not a lot "classics," so people choose a lot of turgid crap from the likes of Melville, Hawthorne, with really, really bad poetry since there is not a lot of competition. A useless hack like Fitzgerald would have been buried by the hundreds of years of mediocre British literature. Melville? Britain has authors who actually sailed on a ship past their Mums' washtub. You then add in the problem that there are some good writers from the period who touched on very scary subjects like, well, sex and racism so no one was allowed to read them in school.

Britain has a lot of crap – a lot of crap – but there are enough quality writers, none of them named Bronte, who sort of outshine said crap.

In the rain.

– J. "'Trollope?' Seriously?" D.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Doc, have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books? If not, you should: the man's a genius, (for an American), and I feel sure that his work will stand the test of time.

I particularly recommend The Baroque Cycle trilogy and Cryptonomicon, historical novels with much science involved. Hugely entertaining and very well researched.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:38 pm Doc, have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books? If not, you should: the man's a genius, (for an American), and I feel sure that his work will stand the test of time.

I particularly recommend The Baroque Cycle trilogy and Cryptonomicon, historical novels with much science involved. Hugely entertaining and very well researched.
Cryptonomicon is an amazing work of art.
asthmatic camel

Grammatron wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:47 pm
asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:38 pm Doc, have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books? If not, you should: the man's a genius, (for an American), and I feel sure that his work will stand the test of time.

Cryptonomicon is an amazing work of art.
It is, Gram. Truly beautiful: I have the audiobook and often listen to it at night when I can't sleep, (which is most of the time, now.)
Giz

Post by Giz »

Hmmm, I read cryptonomicon ages ago and found it very slow going. Had to force myself through it. Can’t remember the ending… whether I gave up or fell asleep, I’m not sure?
asthmatic camel

As with all things artistic, it's a matter of personal taste, Giz. I've read all the "classics" and found most of them to be overlong and dull. I thoroughly enjoyed Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In A boat, love Kafka's nightmarish mental landscapes, and adore Gunter Grasses "The Tin Drum". Dickens? No thanks. Melville? Boring as fuck. Thomas Hardy? The man knew what humans are all about: a great read if you wish to become suicidal.

Neal Stephenson ticks my personal box because I can empathise with his characters and he's clearly put a great deal of work into setting the historical scenery. He's not a thriller writer but he is very, very clever.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

If you like Three Men in a Boat, you'll likely enjoy The Diary of a Nobody by the brothers George and Weedon Grossmith.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Without looking is that the same George Grossmith who sang for Gilbert and Sullivan?

– J.D.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

As Mr. Padge would say, "That's right."
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The Lord High Executioner himself:

here practicing with Dr. Sullivan Sir Arthur:

– J.D.
asthmatic camel

ceptimus wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:55 am If you like Three Men in a Boat, you'll likely enjoy The Diary of a Nobody by the brothers George and Weedon Grossmith.
I suspect that I may have read this in the distant past: my old synapses are giving me a gentle tickle. On order. :)

The trouble with Dickens, Shelley, Thackery, et al is that I really don't wish to spend an hour reading about the length of Mrs. Fotheringill's knicker elastic. Tolstoy's "War and Peace"? I tried, I honestly did but halfway through, I'd forgotten who everybody was.

Yours,

A. Only got a "C" in English Literature as forced to read Shakespeare. C.
asthmatic camel

Oh, ceptimus, had you ever wondered where my nickname came from, my Eng. Lit. master at school, a certain Nigel Westbrooke, was a keen amateur thespian. His portrayal of Shakespeare's Malvolio was described by a local critic as akin to "An asthmatic camel prancing onto the stage."

As you may possibly imagine, this caused much hilarity and has never been forgotten by his pupils.

In all fairness, he was a very pleasant, much-loved teacher but failed to get across to his students exactly why he loved Shakespeare so much. :)
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:16 pm As with all things artistic, it's a matter of personal taste, Giz. I've read all the "classics" and found most of them to be overlong and dull. I thoroughly enjoyed Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In A boat, love Kafka's nightmarish mental landscapes, and adore Gunter Grasses "The Tin Drum". Dickens? No thanks. Melville? Boring as fuck. Thomas Hardy? The man knew what humans are all about: a great read if you wish to become suicidal.
Largely with you. Dickens I - on the whole - enjoyed (-ish), but he was paid by the word and MY GOD did it show. Melville - nope. Hawthorne - nope. O'Neill - God, no.

I did enjoy Shakespeare (tragedies and histories, anyway). Miller - yep. Poe - yep. Twain - yep.

So . . . fifty-fifty on their reading list, I guess?

I would have much preferred Hammett or Chandler, though. Or Stout.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

I can't stand Shakespeare or Dickens. Tedious as fuck. I like the stories in jazz mags though.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:03 am Britain has authors who actually sailed on a ship past their Mums' washtub.

So do we.

I had a good English teacher in high school who helped turn things around for young shuize.

One of his early recommendations was "Two Years Before the Mast."

Not necessarily a literary masterpiece. But solid.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Grats to the remarkably talented and level headed 18 yr old Emma Raducanu who won the US tennis open last night. Emma has a Chinese Mom and Romanian dad who moved to the UK, Bromley, London 16 years ago.

But this is not about tennis....it is about...you know....him.

2014:

Farage: “any normal and fair-minded person” would be concerned if they had Romanians for neighbours.

Speaking to host James O’Brien during a car crash interview on LBC, he said: “I was asked a question if a group of Romanian men moved in next to you, would you be concerned? If you lived in London I think you would be.”
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

To be fair, I am sure he would have supported Young Romanian Women moving next to him.

It is all about context.

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:25 pm
It is all about context.

– J.D.
Exactly what he said if someone asked if he'd like children with German accents moving next door to him.

Guess the nationality of his wife...
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Hotarubi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 pmGuess the nationality of his wife...
"Proper?"

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 am
Hotarubi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 pmGuess the nationality of his wife...
"Proper?"

– J.D.
Who can tell.

https://i.ibb.co/3FFBVGt/kirstenfarage0602a.jpg

Weird shit is, that's exactly how I picture Wildcat.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Fat-shaming!!

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:23 am Fat-shaming!!

– J.D.
Wrong.

Shat-faming.

Ftw!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

She's not fat.

She is ... Rubenesque.

Hope the bitch is vaccinated. Statistics indicate these good fat people die from the virus much more often than healthy people do.

But...have another Bon Bon babe! :)
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

shuize wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 am
Doctor X wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:03 am Britain has authors who actually sailed on a ship past their Mums' washtub.

So do we.

I had a good English teacher in high school who helped turn things around for young shuize.

One of his early recommendations was "Two Years Before the Mast."

Not necessarily a literary masterpiece. But solid.
My High School English teacher had, we found out, been a full Colonel in NATO.

He had stories like "I was stationed in Spain for 3 months, so I learned Spanish. . . ."

My senior year, we did a film project where I was - unbeknownst to him, but beknownst to the other English teacher, who also handled Speech - doing an impression of him as a character in the show. I went to his office during a class period when we were filming and asked if I could borrow his tie (he always wore . . . distinctive ones). He looked at me for half a second, said "Sure." and untied it and handed it to me without asking any questions about what I was doing with it.

Fun teacher. And, as the Spanish story may have implied, very smart guy.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58699072

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That is a much shorter suicide note than they usual produce.

– J.D.
Giz

Post by Giz »

The labour party, accused of ignoring class issues in favour of green and identity politics decides to double down?

Shocked I tell you, shocked!
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Giz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm The labour party, accused of ignoring class issues in favour of green and identity politics decides to double down?

Shocked I tell you, shocked!
Weird shit is, this morning that link went to this:

https://i.ibb.co/CmhdzFD/Screenshot-20210927-155455-Chrome.jpg

Which has disappeared completely. Glad they replaced it with something just as stupid.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Evidences;

Someone fucked up. Or the commies have changed the Internet for our own good.

Grauniad still has it:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... m=referral

Labour to scrap business rates if elected, says shadow chancellor

Labour will scrap business rates and undertake the “biggest overhaul of business taxation in a generation,” the Labour shadow chancellor will say at her speech on Monday, saying the current system punishes entrepreneurs and business investment.

Rachel Reeves will also announce that the party will undertake a major review of existing tax reliefs, suggesting it would target reliefs on wealth such as income from buy-to-let properties.

She said the reliefs “create extra layers of complexity to navigate, and added together they cost more than our entire NHS budget.

“We will look at every single tax break. If it doesn’t deliver for the taxpayer or for the economy then we will scrap it.”

The shadow chancellor said a Labour government would freeze business rates and eventually replace them with a new, as yet undefined system that she said would reward investment, with a particular focus on businesses investing in decarbonisation and green technology.

She said a new system would involve more frequent revaluation and ensure instant reductions in bills when property values fall. Businesses would be incentivised to move into empty premises to revive high streets and neighbourhoods.

In her speech at the Labour conference, Reeves will say high street businesses have faced “huge adversity in the past year … They are struggling right now, with a cliff edge in rates relief coming up in March.

“The next Labour government will scrap business rates. We will carry out the biggest overhaul of business taxation in a generation, so our businesses can lead the pack, not watch opportunities go elsewhere.”

Labour said the policy would mean a freeze in business rates until the next revaluation, benefiting sectors like retail and hospitality, and increase the threshold for small business rates relief that would give such companies a discount, before undertaking more fundamental reform.

At an event before her speech, Reeves said Labour would “not be balancing the budget on the back of working people”, in contrast to the Tories.

She suggested the government should be looking at raising money from private equity companies and big corporations, instead of its national insurance hike, council tax rises and universal credit cut.

She laid into the government’s “utter complacency” about the UK’s recovery from the pandemic and the “working people who are footing the bill for this government’s failures”.

Reeves said she wanted to challenge the Tories on the grounds of economic competence, saying she knew “we would win”, and praised the US president, Joe Biden, for understanding that “wealth doesn’t just trickle down from the top but is created from the bottom up and from the middle”.
Speaking after Reeves at a fringe meeting, Andy Burnham, the Labour mayor of Greater Manchester, went further on economic policy by calling for universal basic income for everyone and “a good, safe home as a human right in law”.

The Labour party said the temporary changes could be paid for by a significant increase in the digital services tax – which is currently a 2% annual tax on tech giants’ revenues. Labour would increase the tax to 12% for 2022/23, Reeves will say, a move that would raise £2.1bn, though the party is highly unlikely to be in power.

The plan is further complicated because the government is currently involved in negotiations for a global deal on corporate tax, expected to be implemented in 2023, a condition of which is that countries remove any domestic digital service tax.

Labour is in favour of the global deal, although it would like tougher terms, and it is expected to raise additional Treasury income. However, that would mean in practice the party would be unable to implement a digital services tax rise.

Mike Cherry, the chair of the Federation of Small Businesses, said the principle would be a hugely positive step for many high street businesses. “The gauntlet has been thrown down by the opposition, and we hope government ministers are listening. This is what a pro-small business tax policy looks like,” he said.

“Business rates is a regressive tax which hits firms before they’ve made a pound in turnover, let alone profit, whilst disincentivising sustainable investment. This proposal marks a welcome call to action that would take more small businesses out of the regressive rates system and rightly looks ahead to more fundamental reform.”

Reeves, a former Bank of England economist, announced on Sunday that she would set up an Office for Value for Money to tackle government waste and introduce a new set of fiscal rules – a move aimed at underlining that Labour can be trusted on the economy.