Abdul Alhazred Appreciation Thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Abdul Alhazred Appreciation Thread

Post by Nyarlathotep »

So I was reading up on a couple of locations in New York that are used a lot in movies and came across this little article, that I figured AA (as an aficionado of New York History) might appreciate.

5 Alleys and Small Streets in Chinatown Tell the Neighborhood’s Vibrant History

Then figured, heck with it, I'll make a whole thread. So post things that AA might like.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Re: Abdul Alhazred Appreciation Thread

Post by robinson »

still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 pm I didn't actually live in Chinatown, but I lived close enough that I went to high school there.
I have never been to New York (unless you count one trip that I barely remember when I was 8 or 9) thus I have never been to New York's Chinatown. I have always been curious how similar/different it is to San Francisco's Chinatown, which I have visited many times.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Source & more neo-Impressionist stuff by Juan del Pozo: https://www.juandelpozo.net/nyc-paintings
Witness

Post by Witness »

Of course the unsurpassable grandaddy of all train paintings is Turner's Rain, Steam and Speed – The Great Western Railway from 1844:

What a masterpiece!
Witness

Post by Witness »

This one is also high on my list:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Another one by Monet:

robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

That's what she said
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

(appropriate Mom joke here)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 am I prefer the kind where I can appreciate the technical details of the equipment.
The inevitable jokes having been done: photography has largely taken car of that.

More pics & details: https://clickamericana.com/topics/trave ... rain-1910s
Witness

Post by Witness »

Pst, Abdul, just saw this:
Chicago police investigators confirm alligator in lagoon

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago police investigators have cracked the case: A 4-5 foot alligator is living in a lagoon at one of the city’s most popular parks.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says Tuesday that investigators went to Humboldt Park Lagoon on the city’s West Side and confirmed that the unusual resident is there as reported on social media.

Officials couldn’t say how the creature got there.

City officials say alligator traps are being placed around the lagoon in hopes the animal will swim into one and be safely removed.

Guglielmi says the animal was expected to be trapped “and relocated to a zoo for veterinary evaluation.”

Alligators favor warm weather climates such as Florida but have been known to survive temporarily in the cold through a process similar to hibernation.
https://www.apnews.com/86555ffa50ea4c36b59f710d32efa9e6

Are there elusive crawdads too? :P
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Someone's former pet perhaps?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

A selection of my boyhood model trains and a Mamod Steam Traction Engine, lovingly preserved with their original packaging by my sainted Mother since the 1970s and recently returned. All are still in full working order. :)

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Mmmmmmmmmm Steam Traction Engine.

I would like a video of it working. With you on the ground stoking it with little, eensy weensy tools.

Come on. Really. Make it work, so to speak.

eta "Hornby"? :lol:
This space for let
asthmatic camel

You're on! I have a few things to do today, but if I can find some methylated spirit along the way I'll fire her up.

And Hornby Model Railways have been around forever and are still going strong. (Check out today's prices for a loco!) Mamod, too are still alive and kicking: they're not cheap, either. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am You're on! I have a few things to do today, but if I can find some methylated spirit along the way I'll fire her up.

And Hornby Model Railways have been around forever and are still going strong. (Check out today's prices for a loco!) Mamod, too are still alive and kicking: they're not cheap, either. :)

You need to get a little plastic person to fall in front of it and scream piteously.

Also show how the thing works. Thanks
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

ed humpty dumpty 2.jpg
Hahaha

Had enough yet Abdul???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space for let
asthmatic camel

Here you go. I doubt I'll win documentary maker of the year but it's not a bad effort. :)

asthmatic camel

So far as I know, methylated spirits are essentially ethanol, (booze type alcohol), with methanol and other nasties added to prevent people from drinking it recreationally, and to enable it to be sold free of duty. The purple dye has always been added to make it visually identifiable.
asthmatic camel

De_Bunk would drink it whatever colour it was dyed. :)
ed

Post by ed »

Thanks ac. Really brought a smile.

That stuff is what we call wood alcohol. We dont dye it though.
This space for let
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

No, wood alcohol is straight methanol.

What AC calls methylated alcohol real 'Merican's call denatured alcohol.
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 pm But we don't flavor it.

Though I do have some isopropyl alcohol with methyl slaycilate that is green.
But that's purely aesthetic and not a warning dye, because the straight isopropyl is clear.

Then there's this stuff, allegedly a beverage, but I bet you could power the model steam tractor with it.
Yep, that would work. I've heard of that stuff but not seen it for sale here, probably because it would be ludicrously expensive with our duty rates. 95% Polish Spirit will set you back £70 a liter, (unless you know people. ;) )
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm I seem to recall you had another YouTube channel ... there it is. ;)

I wondered where they'd gone. Five years ago, eh?

:oldman:
Witness

Post by Witness »

I remember these steam machines from my youth, but they were powered by solid fuel, so-called "Meta"(ldehyde) tablets:

Were also used for starting a barbecue, camp fire, and even as slug repellents.

As for the ethanol part, French pharmacists used to sell 90 % proof "medicinal alcohol" and you could make decent vodka out of it. But then the State got wind of it and slapped enormous taxes on the stuff. As it also curtailed the right to distill (legally): once mobile "alambics" toured the villages when it was the season and everybody with an orchard made his own booze. Here in Burgundy, so from grapes:

asthmatic camel

I had a friend, (long since dead of liver failure), who distilled his own hooch from a simple brew made of sugar, water and yeast. It was and still is a serious offence in the UK, with severe penalties if you get caught. It doesn't stop people though; the potential rewards are huge.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

During our prohibition, Moonshine was all the rage. You can still get it pretty easily in my hometown, probably anywhere. It's cheaper than storebought.

It might kill you, it might blind you, but at least you ain't payin' no gov'ment taxes.
Witness

Post by Witness »

"Club car on Seaboard Railroad's 'Silver Meteor' train, NY – Florida", 1966.
Witness

Post by Witness »

You don't have bars on your trains?!? :shock:

I always have a beer, even if my travel lasts just half an hour.
Witness

Post by Witness »

So truly no bar cars. How primitive quaint! :mrgreen:
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:40 am Liquor on a train in the USA. The past is a foreign country. 8)
Liquor on Amtrak runs full and strong. You can even brown-bag it I think. I don't know what other train you've been riding.
asthmatic camel

Banned on the London Underground and generally on trains to and from football matches, but otherwise, we're allowed a tipple on the trains. (Bloody expensive if you buy from the buffet car, though.)

Entertaining shadow home secretary, Diane Abbot got herself in hot water this year for slurping a rum cocktail on the Tube. :D
Witness

Post by Witness »

A modern vintage-looking luxury train:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Sorry, Abdul, they got him:
Gator in Chicago Lagoon Caught After Weeklong Search

Details & video.
Witness

Post by Witness »

I don't know why (completely different styles), but it made me think of

Whose father was, if I'm not mistaken, a railroad engineer. :mrgreen:
asthmatic camel

asthmatic camel

Abdul, I'm just old enough to remember my father lifting me high enough at the railway bridge at Davenport Station to see the last steam trains on which he commuted to work in Manchester. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

As a kid I traveled by steam train (family vacations). I mostly remember Italy. As it was before Total Security™, you could still open the windows and, Italian trains being then incredibly overcrowded, I've seen people getting into the carriage through them. It also meant sitting for hours on your luggage in the corridor.

Fun part was leaning outside while speeding on. But the coal smoke produced a peculiar kind of dust which stung sharply the eyes and was quite difficult to remove. :x
asthmatic camel

asthmatic camel

After partaking of my habitual midnight fag-o-cycle ride and kicking the shit out of an insane Polish tramp who attempted to steal my gloves outside McDonald's, I attempted to appreciate you a little more, Abdul. Unfortunately, Mrs. Camel is away god bothering with a load of nuns this weekend, so all did not go quite according to plan. (Hic.)

Well, the train set would have worked, had my niece not been buggering about with it...

Oh, well; here's Sir Dinadan, (I really wanted the Mallard, but such was beyond my means,) and a few of his friends, including a Prime Pork Wagon, cos you're a Kike. :)

All was not lost, however, as I found a brigade of Eighth Army WWII soldiers, hand-painted by yours truly and glued to the carriage floors to make things look more realistic. (Things like that make sense when you're ten.)