Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by asthmatic camel »

As opposed to NBL-type modelling, just to clarify, and separate from the Fag-o-Cycling thread which, while nerdy, is not quite this nerdy.

Some of you will be aware that, with dotage rapidly approaching, I have resurrected my boyhood passion for modelling so feel free to post anything remotely relevant, (NBLs included), here.

ed showed some interest in the N gauge Mallard I picked up on eBay and I finally got to try it out on Saturday night. Imagine my joy :) when it immediately worked and subsequent despair :cry: when it proceeded to throw both its traction tyres, one of which became firmly jammed in the wheels and piston rods, not to be easily removed. Urgent remedial surgery was required.

I'm delighted to report that the elderly patient survived and is making progress.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by ed »

Any sort of model, ac?
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 amanything remotely relevant, (NBLs included)

I live to serve. (Red for sparks, of course.) :mrgreen:
asthmatic camel

ed wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:51 am Any sort of model, ac?
Oh, any old sort will do, I'm not fussy. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 am Just subscribed to your channel

Still subscribed to your other channel :)
I'd forgotten I have two. (It's my age.)
asthmatic camel

Acquisitions to date, (not including track, rolling stock, transformers, etc, etc), 00 gauge "41 Squadron" and "Royal Scots Fusilier", N gauge "Boadicea", "LMS 1118" and "Mallard". All now thoroughly cleaned, serviced and working and going safely back in their boxes until I've finished turning the loft into a more pleasant place to spend time and got some track layed, (and replenished my savings account.) One more beauty is due to arrive this week after a nail-biting, last-minute bidding war on eBay. :)

ed

Post by ed »

Here is a model of Mons Meg that I bought from some guy in Scotland. It has an interesting story associated with it but it (the story) evokes memories of "turds" and "punchbowls" so I will forbear.
IMG_4503.JPG
Like the two N gauge locos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space for let
asthmatic camel

Oooh, Oooh, look what arrived!

A Hammant & Morgan Safety Minor transformer, even older than the one I already had!

But does it work?

Yup. Not bad for £14.99. :)

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 amanything remotely relevant, (NBLs included)

Not nerdy enough. More glasses, less shirt.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 pm Not nerdy enough. More glasses, less shirt.

See? No shirt. :mrgreen:

I won't indulge in nerd, we have AC and ed for that. :evil:
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm In that last video, it look like you're torturing it.
Even nerds enjoy a little S&M from time to time. :)
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Witness wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 am

This young woman is still working on what's left of my brain. Red hair is a given for me, but it's really the shorts, the legs and the stockings this time. Nice tits too, but they've been padded when it wasn't really necessary.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
asthmatic camel

ed, I'm going to trigger your atavistic urges, here. :twisted:

ed

Post by ed »

My god. Amazing stuff. Have you seen the WW2 recreations?
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

Nice going AC!

For myself, having small kids has meant dramatically less free evenings/ weekends so I have replaced a lot of the shooting competitions and board games playing with restarting warhammer 40k (which I’d stopped playing ~25 years before). Generally doing a bit of painting/modeling/conversions each night after everyone is asleep.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Some hippie style?

Giz

Post by Giz »

That is hardly a nerdy model!

These are nerdy models: the blood angels high command!

Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 am That is hardly a nerdy model!
As I said, I won't indulge in nerd. Yet exceptionally, as you really seem to crave the stuff:

• NBL? Debatable.
  • Ginger? Check. (That's for Sparky, evidently.)
  • Glasses? Check.
  • Nerdy? Check. (The practical no-nonsense raingear. Admittedly you can't run around Britland in haute couture without soon looking like a mop.)
  • Nerdy+? Check. (Goathland station.)
  • Railway? Check.
Giz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 am These are nerdy models: the blood angels high command!

We are doomed, as a species.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This is actually in Yokohama, where I live. I've been here and seen their train sets, which are probably the most impressive I've ever personally seen. It's the Hara Model Railway Museum and if you're ever in Yokohama, you I'd be happy to show you.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 am I just like the name. :)
Tsk, tsk – and your diet? :twisted:
asthmatic camel

Good stuff, guys; you're really keeping my Nerdic juices flowing. :)

I finally managed to win an eBay auction for the iconic Flying Scotsman, (there are some bad-ass, cut-throat nerds on eBay), and another for some authentic coaches, (nerds hate anachronisms.)

The basic N gauge layout is down, wired-up and working. I need to be sure of dimensions of buildings etc. before proceeding and I've hit my budget for this month, anyway.

asthmatic camel

There'll be a train crash if I don't shift all my gear from the living room this weekend...
Witness

Post by Witness »

Or rather sportsy?

asthmatic camel

Not bad, Witness, not bad at all.

I think this NBL overslept and missed her train.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Witness wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 pm Or rather sportsy?

The power of rEd coMPEls mE....
Witness

Post by Witness »

And something for AC, Station Blues:

(Of course it's Sittin on top of the world renamed. But a hell of a version.)
Witness

Post by Witness »

Don't give AC silly ideas, he's already infected enough by that virus.

ed

Post by ed »

So, AC, what exactly is your plan and what are the impediments to success? Money, I get that. But what are you going to use it for? Miles of track? Tiny people? Serfs? Villeins? Poltroons? Scalawags? Are you buying more locos? Rolling stock? Will there be gun emplacements? Invading Masai Hoards? Will you have a little Stanley Baker and Michael Caine? Will there be a rift across your tiny landscape? Will the tiny people be falling in? Will you station a little drone with a camera to provide a 24/7 live feed?

Please address these things in order.

Thank you.

No, I have not been drinking.
This space for let
sparks

Post by sparks »

"No, I have not been drinking."

Start now.
ed

Post by ed »

That is hate speech. In the UK, I'd report you. I really does not matter what your intention was/is.

Reeducation in in your future, boy-o.

Which raises an interesting question ... AC, will there be tiny reeducation camps on your layout? Will their be tiny commissars in the camps? Will there be a tiny Sparks sitting, huddled in a corner, in the reeducation camp?
This space for let
sparks

Post by sparks »

Fortunately, I do not have to live in a world dominated by eds definitions. :De_Bunk:
ed

Post by ed »

Not yet.
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

Yes, definitely armored trains. A few partisans hiding in some trees. A burnt out village.

Not enough model railways do the great patriotic war!
shuize

Post by shuize »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 am Not bad, Witness, not bad at all.

I think this NBL overslept and missed her train.

This is acceptable. She's probably wearing glasses.
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

ed wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:14 am So, AC, what exactly is your plan and what are the impediments to success? Money, I get that. But what are you going to use it for? Miles of track? Tiny people? Serfs? Villeins? Poltroons? Scalawags? Are you buying more locos? Rolling stock? Will there be gun emplacements? Invading Masai Hoards? Will you have a little Stanley Baker and Michael Caine? Will there be a rift across your tiny landscape? Will the tiny people be falling in? Will you station a little drone with a camera to provide a 24/7 live feed?

Please address these things in order.

Thank you.

No, I have not been drinking.
It's all just a whim, really, ed; a passing fancy secondary to the primary purpose of converting our loft into a usable area, although I'll bear all your suggestions in mind. After a couple of setbacks this weekend and eviscerating a finger, putting my back out of joint and generally being pissed off, I've decided that my eyesight and vertebrae are no longer up to the task of working with N gauge stuff, (probably as well, given the cost), so I plan to have a 00 gauge layout featuring steam locos from the Big Four era of UK railways, prior to nationalisation and British Rail. :)
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

You should get some Z gauge stuff. Work on that for a while and then N gauge seems enormous. N gauge is much more suited to building a nice layout without requiring acres of space, IMO. I used to play with a friend's N gauge and he had a complex layout with multiple loops, tunnels, a marshalling yard, three stations etc. all in a shed about twelve feet by ten. It was a bit awkward to get into the shed though - you had to crawl under part of the layout to get to the operating position in the middle.
asthmatic camel

I thought about Z gauge, ceptimus but it's all continental, USA and Japanese stuff and way too small for a cack-handed, boss-eyed old camel to handle. It's pretty pricey, too and there's not much of a second-hand market. I'll have enough space in the loft for a fair-sized 00 gauge layout, possibly on two levels and I already have a lot of the stuff I'll need, plus, as it's the most popular format, used gear is readily available at a reasonable price. N gauge is lovely but it's just too small for me to work with.
ed

Post by ed »

Why not HO?
This space for let
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare