Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Fid wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:12 pm You know they detect grow rooms from the outside using thermal imaging right?
Yep but, seeing as I can't abide cannabis, (just the smell makes me heave), that's not going to be a problem!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Keep an extinguisher at hand. :notsure:

Hydrogen trains could be on their way to Italy after major firms seal five-year agreement
  • As concerns about air pollution grow, zero and low-emission forms of transport could have a big role to play.
  • Alstom’s Coradia iLint is part of a small but growing cohort of hydrogen-powered transportation methods.

Transport manufacturer Alstom and energy infrastructure firm Snam are to collaborate on the development of hydrogen trains in Italy, the latest example of work being undertaken to integrate the technology into mass-transit systems.

In an announcement Thursday the firms said that the agreement between them, which is set to last five years, would see French company Alstom “manufacture and maintain newly built or converted hydrogen trains.”

Snam, which is headquartered in San Donato Milanese, Italy, will focus on the development of infrastructure related to refueling, transport and production.

“We believe in hydrogen,” Michele Viale, who is managing director of Alstom Italy and Switzerland, said in a statement. “This is the reason why we have signed a partnership with Snam,” Viale added.

“Coradia iLint, the first hydrogen powered train, is already in passenger service between the towns of Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervörde and Buxtehudehe in Germany.”

The Coradia iLint referenced by Viale entered into service in 2018, uses a hydrogen fuel-cell and, according to Alstom, emits just “steam and condensed water.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/hydroge ... ement.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Britain's railways will be 'renationalised' using emergency coronavirus measures - ending the current franchise system
  • Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has revealed plans to 'renationalise' railways
  • Under his proposals, ministers would have control over fares and timetables
  • His plans will be revealed in a report of an independent review into UK railways
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sures.html

"A success, a flaming success" as Skeeve would write. :mrgreen:
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 am ↑ Keep an extinguisher at hand. :notsure:

“Coradia iLint, the first hydrogen powered train, is already in passenger service between the towns of Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervörde and Buxtehudehe in Germany.”

The Coradia iLint referenced by Viale entered into service in 2018, uses a hydrogen fuel-cell and, according to Alstom, emits just “steam and condensed water.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/hydroge ... ement.html

abd the thing is german too. :roll:
This space for let
asthmatic camel

Witness wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 am ↑ Keep an extinguisher at hand. :notsure:
An unforeseen benefit of the mirrored insulation I've used is that the loft is now noticeably cooler during spells of hot weather. As the roof is black slate, it soaks up heat like ed buying stolen antiques: the insulation reflects it back. In addition, unless I'm actually up there, there's no power supply at all. Still, it's not a bad idea, TY.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 pm abd the thing is german too. :roll:
You're such a pussy. :)
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I just thought AC might like this.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:09 am I just thought AC might like this.

viewtopic.php?p=1020849#p1020849 :coolspecs:
Giz

Post by Giz »

Do they use nunchucks?
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Oldy but goody.

Aikido practitioners are fags, though.

Nice to hear the "Voice of God" who also led his voice to the infamous "Deteriorata."

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

ONS says UK rail has effectively been renationalised during pandemic

Change in classification, to be backdated to 1 April, prompts dispute between unions and operators

Train companies have been effectively renationalised on a temporary basis, the UK statistics body said on Friday, prompting a dispute between trade unions and private operators over rail ownership.

The coronavirus pandemic and lockdown forced the government to take emergency steps to prop up train companies by assuming the financial risk of rail franchises, after passenger numbers dwindled almost to nothing.

The Office for National Statistics has now written to the Treasury and the Scottish government to inform them of its decision to reclassify train companies as public non-financial corporations in the light of the measures.

The change, backdated to 1 April, means rail companies’ borrowing will be factored into ONS figures on public-sector borrowing and the number of state employees.

At the same time, train companies are not allowed to make timetable changes or change staffing numbers without specific government approval.

State support for rail firms means almost all revenue and cost risk from the companies are “borne by the government”, the ONS said.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... g-pandemic
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hydrogen-powered train makes UK maiden journey

A hydrogen-powered train has travelled on Britain’s rail network for the first time.

The prototype, called the Hydroflex, made a 25-mile round trip through Warwickshire and Worcestershire, reaching speeds of up to 50 mph.

Its next phase is to move the hydrogen tanks, fuel cell and battery out of a carriage and stash them underneath the train.

The aim is for the train to start carrying paying passengers by the end of 2021.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-54350046 (video at the link)
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 am If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
Sometimes I can't tell if you're being Poe. :)

On the outside chance you aren't, the oxygen comes from the atmosphere. The battery is a bit trickier; I presume ...

The battery is needed to even out the load. The fuel cell will provide more than enough power to keep a moving train moving, but not enough to get a stopped train going (inertia is your enemy). Additionally, the battery can recover the energy of a moving train stopping (inertia is your friend).
ed

Post by ed »

Its next phase is to move the hydrogen tanks, fuel cell and battery out of a carriage and stash them underneath the train.
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft.
This space for let
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:33 pm
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft.
Exactly my first thought.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
ed

Post by ed »

A train weighs 30 skdillion pounds, right? So what kind of container could survive a crash/derailment etc etc?

Here you have a classic conflict of precious principles. The powers that be want more and more power to control your life to keep you safe. Fuck, a perfectly sound propane tank that is too old cannot be used, gotta buy a new one. Yet here they are going to give safety a pass to implement some progressive green bullshit.

Am I wrong? Really, tell me if you think so. What I used to think were tin foil hat conspiracy theories are seeming more and more reasonable to me.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Am I wrong? Really, tell me if you think so.
Fairly wrong. The safety issue of carrying around a tank of hydrogen compressed at 500 atmospheres is much (maybe much, much ... but not quite much, much, much) greater for a car or truck than for a train. plus )+( tank technology has come a long way; mostly carbon fiber/steel hybrid. Pretty okay. I approve. But really, trains are already pretty efficient already, second only to tanker ships, I think, so it's a bit of virtue signaling.
ed

Post by ed »

Alright but I reuse to travel on any that go thru Lakehurst.
This space for let
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Rob Lister wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 pm
sparks wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 am If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
Sometimes I can't tell if you're being Poe. :)

On the outside chance you aren't, the oxygen comes from the atmosphere. The battery is a bit trickier; I presume ...

The battery is needed to even out the load. The fuel cell will provide more than enough power to keep a moving train moving, but not enough to get a stopped train going (inertia is your enemy). Additionally, the battery can recover the energy of a moving train stopping (inertia is your friend).
Oxygen from the atmosphere? Really? In sufficient quantity and purity? To run a fuel cell? But I'm not a chemist. Ping Bruce.

Sorry, I seriously doubt that.

And in the final analysis, the energy to produce hydrogen has to come from some source. Most likely fossil fuel.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

That's the way fuel cell cars work. They don't have an oxygen tank - only a hydrogen one.
sparks

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:38 pm That's the way fuel cell cars work. They don't have an oxygen tank - only a hydrogen one.
OK, I learn something new every fucking day.

I stupidly thought that cars that run on hydrogen didn't involve fuel cells and the electricity they produce. I thought that it was a standard internal combustion engine...

Go figure.

Proof or you are a dipshit.

Dipshit.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

You're a fucking ignorant cunt. Go do your own research.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Children! Behave!

Sparks ...

You don't have to use a fuel cell, you can run an ICE on hydrogen. It's just far less efficient.

You can also use hydrocarbons for fueling a fuel cell. It doesn't have to be pure hydrogen either.

Off topic but ...
For a real kick in the teeth, google Brown's Gas.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Train Accident Facts and Figures
About every hour and a half a train collides with another object or is derailed.
Every two weeks a train that is carrying hazardous materials derails in the United States.
Today rail companies rely on technology that was developed more than 70 years ago, and very little research and improvement has been made to update these dated safety measures.
Local governments often have no voice over the train traffic in their area, which can result in delays for local emergency responders.
According to the DOT’s Federal Railroad Administration, about 80% of railroad crossings do not have adequate warning devices.
While vehicle on train collisions have decreased in the past few years, pedestrians involved in train collisions have increased.

Seems legit.

sparks

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 am You're a fucking ignorant cunt. Go do your own research.
thanks, now go fuck yourself you ignorant fucking dickhead cocksucker! :)
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

If you are both a dickhead and a cocksucker does that make you a narcissist?

sparks

Post by sparks »

Fuck off newcomer!
Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks

Post by sparks »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 pm
sparks wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:18 pm Fuck off newcomer!
The correct for of address for sparks is "dipshit".

Right, dipshit? :cowbell:
Learn how to articulate asshat!
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

News which please me:
Four countries pledge night-train nirvana in Europe

Austria, France, Germany and Switzerland agreed to boost night-trains on their rail networks on Tuesday (8 December), with a host of new services connecting cities across Europe due to launch at the end of 2021.

Transport ministers and rail firms confirmed at a special press conference that Vienna-Munich-Paris and Zurich-Cologne-Amsterdam services will launch in December 2021, in the first stage of what Germany has dubbed “Trans-Europ Express 2.0”.

In 2022, Zurich will be linked with Rome and in 2023, Berlin, Brussels and Paris will get sleeper services. Barcelona will join the network via Zurich in 2024. The routes had previously been suggested but today’s announcement confirms that planning is moving ahead.

Austrian Railways (ÖBB), which already runs the lion’s share of the current night-train services, will operate the new lines, in conjunction with its French, German and Swiss counterparts.

Germany’s transport minister, Andreas Scheuer, said: “We are now launching this Trans-Europ Express because we are convinced we will see a decade of the rail.” He added that timetable changes have been agreed to improve intercity links.

A number of routes already exist, most notably a Brussels-Vienna service that ran for the first time in January. However, the COVID pandemic has cut passenger demand and trains have been suspended until at least the end of January.
The Swiss added during the announcement that in order to build a night-train network, a number of cities will have to become hubs, where feeder trains link other cities to the sleeper services.

According to the route map released by the four railway companies, these hubs are likely to be Brussels, Vienna and Zurich, as well as Berlin if more services are eventually added. Links with Scandinavia are likely to take off once new infrastructure is ready.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/railwa ... in-europe/
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

My model will likely do that when I finally get round to building it.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Panoramic train, Switzerland.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Buy a ticket on a panoramic train and then read a newspaper during the ride? もったいない。
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

if you've seen one cow, you've seen them all
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare