Skeptical Community MVP

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Skeptical Community MVP

Post by Rob Lister »

We don't have a language award. All we have is a like button that most of us use cynically; as in fuck you.

But who is SC's MVP. Who among us remains logical when knees jerk and insults fly? Who never takes a troll's invitation to argue incoherently?

I'd like to think that I might be somewhere high on that list but I'm not even in the upper 10 ... and there are only 9 of us here.

I hereby nominate Gnome.

You can't get him mad. You can't make him insult you. You can't make him lie. You can't upset him so far as I can tell. He uses the same boring, facts-is-facts tone for every reply, public and no doubt private.

He is really quite boring. He writing is easy to read but without spice or flavor; more like Hemingway, less like Clancy. It's kind of off-topic but I think he may actually be a virgin; I know he's been 'friended' by many a lady. Just sayin'.

I will make a poll later.

I quite like him and may someday have his love-child. I will be his first.

Give him a vote up, or nominate another.

Please respond.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Skeptical Community MVP

Post by ed »

A vote for gnome is a vote for Florida ergo me
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:53 pm A vote for gnome is a vote for Florida ergo me
Yea, well, ya know, you're not really eligible to vote here.

Sure, you're technically a full-fledged member but kind of in a different category wherein you can be present for the vote but it doesn't actually count.

Like Porto Rico, or Washington DC. We still love you but really don't need to hear from you.

We'll make better accommodations in the future but for now, we'll put your vote in the "also mentioned" column. Not ignored! It kind of counts!

Let's do lunch. Have your dusky call mine.
ed

Post by ed »

Whole thing sounds vaguely patronizing.
This space for let
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

I'm waiting to see if anyone can hit .350/50/140 this season.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 pm He [sic] writing is easy to read
Reminded me of this:
Rob Lister wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:26 am
gnome wrote:I do prefer […] incentive.
I don't fucking get you. Never did. Speak mor43e plain-like
Stuck in my mind as I must admit I often have to parse gnome's sentences three or four times before "getting" him, or at least thinking I did.

No offense, gnome! :)
ed

Post by ed »

He's Finnish
This space for let
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

Most Valuable Person here?

I nominate the guy who keeps the forum running and who also posts a lot of really cool shit.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 pm We don't have a language award. All we have is a like button that most of us use cynically; as in fuck you.
I did not know that.

Apparently I've been misled into thinking someone actually liked a post of mine.

And apparently I should stop "liking" other people's posts if that's going to be mis-interpreted as a "fuck you".
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

There is nothing wrong with a good 'fuck you', cynically, skeptically, socially or politically.

Fuck you.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 pm We don't have a language award. All we have is a like button that most of us use cynically; as in fuck you.

But who is SC's MVP. Who among us remains logical when knees jerk and insults fly? Who never takes a troll's invitation to argue incoherently?

I'd like to think that I might be somewhere high on that list but I'm not even in the upper 10 ... and there are only 9 of us here.

I hereby nominate Gnome.

You can't get him mad. You can't make him insult you. You can't make him lie. You can't upset him so far as I can tell. He uses the same boring, facts-is-facts tone for every reply, public and no doubt private.

He is really quite boring. He writing is easy to read but without spice or flavor; more like Hemingway, less like Clancy. It's kind of off-topic but I think he may actually be a virgin; I know he's been 'friended' by many a lady. Just sayin'.

I will make a poll later.

I quite like him and may someday have his love-child. I will be his first.

Give him a vote up, or nominate another.

Please respond.
I don't know whether to be flattered or to be pissed off at your delivery :lol:

For the record my dating and "friendzone" days are past, remember mystiqalwolf? Still together after almost 19 years, and now also married since 2017. So you'll need to find someone else to have a love-child with.

I can get plenty pissed, but I do try to stay rational and I actually appreciate that it's noticed.
Last edited by gnome on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

xouper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 am Most Valuable Person here?

I nominate the guy who keeps the forum running and who also posts a lot of really cool shit.
^^^ This right here.

Last edited by gnome on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

Witness wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:51 pm
Rob Lister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 pm He [sic] writing is easy to read
Reminded me of this:
Rob Lister wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:26 am
gnome wrote:I do prefer […] incentive.
I don't fucking get you. Never did. Speak mor43e plain-like
Stuck in my mind as I must admit I often have to parse gnome's sentences three or four times before "getting" him, or at least thinking I did.

No offense, gnome! :)
None taken, I've heard that before. If anyone ever needs to tell me to untwist my words and say it like a normal human being, go right ahead.
--Soldier, TF2
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 pmI hereby nominate Gnome.
Interesting tactic.

The posters here are very easy to break into two groups, with just a couple of outliers who are not completely one or the other.

Gnome, Witness, Anaxagoras, Pyrrho, Shemp, Pyrrho, Bruce, Sparky, Grammatron, Asthmatic Camel, De Bunk, yourself, and a couple of others whose names don't immediately spring to mind are genuinely good guys who are pretty level-headed and susceptible to evidence. (Most of the time, AC) I'd buy any of you a beer any day and expect to sit and have a good laugh.

On the flip side, WildCat, Ed, DrXX and Robinson are vile filth masquerading as human beings. I doubt I could sit in a room with any of them for more than seconds before things got very ugly. Such is my fault - a deep and intense hatred of scumbags, racists and bullshit artists, which covers that lot neatly. I'm sure there are a couple of others belong in there.

Somewhere in the middle are Xouper, Hoturabi and a couple of others. Not quite stupid enough to be vile, but bog standard wankers with no social skills. I think Skeeve is probably in there, too.

If I've missed someone's name out who'd like to know which group they're in, let me know and I'll gladly rate you.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
DJ

Post by DJ »

My “thanks” are sincere. When I feel like I need to cynically rebuke, I hope I’d have the wherewithal to post my thoughts.

Fuck you Rob.

:D
ed

Post by ed »

So sad when a person mistakes the internet for reality.
This space for let
gnome

Post by gnome »

I don't think we have any actual racists here, of any definition. At least not since hammegk wandered off. Likewise despite certain pessimists or heated comments I also don't think any users here desire to politically oppress anyone.

There are people I disagree with a lot, and a subset of those I find really annoying to argue with, but that's hardly a crime. I'd shake hands with (post-pandemic) and have a suitable drink with any of you. A hearty "fuck you" may be involved.
--Soldier, TF2
ed

Post by ed »

I still want to go to a gun show with you in your neck of the woods
This space for let
gnome

Post by gnome »

I'd do it. I'm kind of curious.
--Soldier, TF2
ed

Post by ed »

Bwahahaahaha
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

It is maybe the best place for people watching. That is saying a lot in fla.

One of the first shows my son went to was interesting. This sorta burned out vet came to our table and started chatting about 'Nam. He started talking about "ducking and covering" or some such. And, to my son's horror, proceeded to demonstrate in the middle of the aisle in front of out table. On the floor I mean.

Yes, there is much to learn there.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I'lll fly down.
ed

Post by ed »

Anytime.
This space for let
xouper

Post by xouper »

This one made me laugh so loud I almost puked:
The Atheist wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm . . . On the flip side, WildCat, Ed, DrXX and Robinson are vile filth masquerading as human beings. I doubt I could sit in a room with any of them for more than seconds before things got very ugly. Such is my fault - a deep and intense hatred of scumbags, racists and bullshit artists, which covers that lot neatly. I'm sure there are a couple of others belong in there.

Somewhere in the middle are Xouper, Hoturabi and a couple of others. Not quite stupid enough to be vile, but bog standard wankers with no social skills. I think Skeeve is probably in there, too.
Now you know how some of us feel about you.

You have contributed almost nothing of value on this forum.

Worse, you have set the record for spewing the most hate and bullshit on this forum.

I would nominate you for Least Valuable Person on this forum.

Seriously.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

The atheist doesn’t know what projection is.
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

xouper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 am This one made me laugh so loud I almost puked:
The Atheist wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm . . . On the flip side, WildCat, Ed, DrXX and Robinson are vile filth masquerading as human beings. I doubt I could sit in a room with any of them for more than seconds before things got very ugly. Such is my fault - a deep and intense hatred of scumbags, racists and bullshit artists, which covers that lot neatly. I'm sure there are a couple of others belong in there.

You have contributed almost nothing of value on this forum.
Not true.
Worse, you have set the record for spewing the most hate and bullshit on this forum.
Not true.
I would nominate you for Least Valuable Person on this forum.
For me it was a toss-up between Gnome and Atheist. Gnome never hurt my peepee so I had to go with him.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Atheist hurt your peepee? Do tell ....

(makes popcorn, settles in chair)
robinson2
Title: I can’t be worrying about that

Post by robinson2 »

xouper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:56 am
I did not know that.

Apparently I've been misled into thinking someone actually liked a post of mine.

And apparently I should stop "liking" other people's posts if that's going to be mis-interpreted as a "fuck you".
Nah, just ignore the nutjobs. I only use the like button because I like something. Losers want to take even that away from the forum.
"This aggression will not stand, man."
robinson

Post by robinson »

A hearty “fuck you” can be a sign of friendship
Witness

Post by Witness »

gnome wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 am None taken, I've heard that before. If anyone ever needs to tell me to untwist my words and say it like a normal human being, go right ahead.
The weird point is that I often tried to pinpoint the source of my "un-understanding", and failed miserably. Did you get some technical criticism from more able people?
gnome

Post by gnome »

I don't think it usually proves necessary. If someone points out that my text is hard to parse, I can usually tell why right away. 99% of the time I'm trying to combine too many thoughts into a sentence. "Which this", and "by the way that", and "in case you might misunderstand me it's not the other"... sometimes I need to just say whatever it is without all the attempts to build in context and disclaimers.
--Soldier, TF2
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Can someone find me 10,000 votes?
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

The Atheist wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Interesting tactic.

The posters here are very easy to break into two groups, with just a couple of outliers who are not completely one or the other.

Gnome, Witness, Anaxagoras, Pyrrho, Shemp, Pyrrho, Bruce, Sparky, Grammatron, Asthmatic Camel, De Bunk, yourself, and a couple of others whose names don't immediately spring to mind are genuinely good guys who are pretty level-headed and susceptible to evidence. (Most of the time, AC) I'd buy any of you a beer any day and expect to sit and have a good laugh.

On the flip side, WildCat, Ed, DrXX and Robinson are vile filth masquerading as human beings. I doubt I could sit in a room with any of them for more than seconds before things got very ugly. Such is my fault - a deep and intense hatred of scumbags, racists and bullshit artists, which covers that lot neatly. I'm sure there are a couple of others belong in there.

If I've missed someone's name out who'd like to know which group they're in, let me know and I'll gladly rate you.
I quoted this for no other reason than to highlight my name.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Delighted to see that Wanda is still bothered by her rectal fissures.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Giz

Post by Giz »

The Atheist wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm Such is my fault - a deep and intense hatred of scumbags, racists and bullshit artists,
You forgot your other fault; exceptional modesty.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

xouper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 am Worse, you have set the record for spewing the most hate and bullshit on this forum.
Really? Shit, I thought I was still way short, but I'll keep trying.
Doctor X wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:40 pm Delighted to see that Wanda is still bothered by her rectal fissures.
Coming from you, tubby, a bloke so lacking in balls you won't even respond directly, that's pretty funny.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
robinson

Post by robinson »

And a sparkling personality!
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

And my apologies to Bruce and Nyarlahotep - I certainly consider you both firmly in the Good Bastards camp, but I didn't think of you at the time.

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Giz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 pm You forgot your other fault; exceptional modesty.
Mea culpa again.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Given she is a scumbag, a racist, a bullshit artist infamously exposed such that she fled this place in embarrassment until she could find no other place that would tolerate her scumbagery, racism, bullshit, and being, well, a complete Cunt, we sort of understand that she is jealous of any rivals to such subterranean status.

In the cesspool of her filth, she insists on being queen.

The maggots her only subjects.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image