The Other Place

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

The Other Place

Post by Ben Trovado »

It has been years since I checked in at the other place. After the great unraveling (when lots of people left so as not to provide private info to keep the account open), I would browse the forms every once in a while -- maybe 2-3 weeks. I then started to do so less and less, and probably had not checked in on it for 4-5 years. Maybe more.

I just went by and took 2 minutes to see if I recognized names, etc. :shock:

I recognized a few names, but I did not recognize any posters. It is like a non-stop 2-minute hate. Everyone still posting there is in lockstep, and they have nothing but contempt for anyone not agreeing with them.

A few people who I recalled as perhaps a little over-strident but whom I could talk to back then were still there, but it is almost like they are different people. I don't think we could have a debate or discussion any more, I'd simply be run off the forum on a rail. It made me nostalgic, I guess. There were a lot of arguments then, but at least a couple dozen posters could disagree - even strongly disagree - without assuming the other side was Hitler on steroids.

On the bright side, I am doubly glad I didn't hand over any personal information to stay there.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Re: The Other Place

Post by robinson »

I just gave them fake info

It’s not like they checked
robinson

Post by robinson »

The real problem at TOP is it’s boring

Deadly boring
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

People can't justify their positions and get angry at you for disagreeing. This is the state of modern discourse.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pm It has been years since I checked in at the other place. After the great unraveling (when lots of people left so as not to provide private info to keep the account open),
You mean "very few" rather than "lots". The numbers at the time showed a very small drop only.
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pmI recognized a few names, but I did not recognize any posters.
You must have a pretty ordinary memory, then. The people and posters are very much the same ones who have been posting there for a decade. I just double-checked and very few posters show under ten years' membership and the majority are over 15 years.
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pmIt is like a non-stop 2-minute hate. Everyone still posting there is in lockstep, and they have nothing but contempt for anyone not agreeing with them.
http://charman.co.nz/elmo/gif

Are you talking about ISF or this place? Are you surprised that somewhat thinking people are disgusted by racists and Trumpettes?
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pm I'd simply be run off the forum on a rail.
Strange how there are so many far-right posters left there, in that case.

Not that you'd have noticed, because it was in the member area, but there's a current thread where a few people are crying because ISF allows the far right and racist element to have a platform for their shit. The official line is that that's fine, which is as it should be.

What with Robinson, WildCat, Ed, Xouper and the short fat clown, you'll be very welcome here anyway.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

The Atheist wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pmI recognized a few names, but I did not recognize any posters.
You must have a pretty ordinary memory, then. The people and posters are very much the same ones who have been posting there for a decade. I just double-checked and very few posters show under ten years' membership and the majority are over 15 years.
You missed my point. Although I know them by their handle, they no longer resemble the people I recalled as talking with, and in some cases meeting in person at TAMs.

Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pmIt is like a non-stop 2-minute hate. Everyone still posting there is in lockstep, and they have nothing but contempt for anyone not agreeing with them.
http://charman.co.nz/elmo/gif

Are you talking about ISF or this place? Are you surprised that somewhat thinking people are disgusted by racists and Trumpettes?
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pm I'd simply be run off the forum on a rail.
Strange how there are so many far-right posters left there, in that case.
I remember you. You weren't one of those that I was talking about.

Indeed, you haven't changed a bit. You are exactly as I recalled, and I haven't missed you.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Ouch

Serious burn
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 pm Indeed, you haven't changed a bit. You are exactly as I recalled, and I haven't missed you.
Oh, diddums. You're so forgettable I don't recognise your name.

But hey, we can take up the animosity much better here - I have a wonderful relationship with the far right here. They provide me with humour, evidence that stereotypes are sometimes not just stereotypes, and an outlet for abusing the snot out of people who disgust me.

Pity some of them are such wimps they have me on ignore, like the tiny-brained Robinson.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

The Atheist wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 pm
Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 pm Indeed, you haven't changed a bit. You are exactly as I recalled, and I haven't missed you.
Oh, diddums. You're so forgettable I don't recognise your name.
I have explained in other threads what my old nick was, but that was also some time back. Why you think it would matter to me about the state of your memory, I'll never know.

But hey, we can take up the animosity much better here - I have a wonderful relationship with the far right here. They provide me with humour, evidence that stereotypes are sometimes not just stereotypes, and an outlet for abusing the snot out of people who disgust me.

Pity some of them are such wimps they have me on ignore, like the tiny-brained Robinson.
This is what I kind of mean about the tone of the other place now - you provide a good example. But you are mistaken. First, there isn't any real animosity on my end. And the fact that you can get this worked up over someone you don't even recognize isn't healthy. Maybe talk to someone. This can't be good for your blood pressure.

Second, we don't need to engage with each other at all. On the one hand, after seeing two posts from you in a row, anyone can reliably predict your opinions on any/every subject. That combination of reliable predictability and venom is not interesting. On the other hand, you don't care what my position is on anything and - no matter what it might be - you will merely invent a position for me and then argue against that (if a continuation of mere insults can be labeled as "arguing").

So, no. Maybe 15-20 years ago I would have not minded spending my time that way, but now I have things I would rather be doing. I honestly think it would be healthy if you found something else, as well.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Ben Trovado wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:01 am I honestly think it would be healthy if you found something else, as well.
Health is not the motivation here
shuize

Post by shuize »

I'm trying to remember when I stopped visiting the other place.

I've long since forgotten my password.

I do not remember anything about drumsticks.

Although, I vaguely remember this place coming online well before I registered here.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

A Cunt is still a Cunt.

Film at 11.

– J.D.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

shuize wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 am I'm trying to remember when I stopped visiting the other place.

I've long since forgotten my password.

I do not remember anything about drumsticks.

Although, I vaguely remember this place coming online well before I registered here.
I stopped going there after they banned me. I forget when exactly, but it was not long after this place was started. I might even still have the letter they sent me via US Postal Service.

Perhaps there's still a record of it on this forum somewhere, and if I cared, I might go look for it.

Perhaps the fact that I cannot seem to immediately recall most of the details would seem to indicate just how much I care anymore, especially about the fascists who ran that forum (and I'm not referring to James Randi, RIP).
Giz

Post by Giz »

Ben Trovado wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 pm It has been years since I checked in at the other place. After the great unraveling (when lots of people left so as not to provide private info to keep the account open), I would browse the forms every once in a while -- maybe 2-3 weeks. I then started to do so less and less, and probably had not checked in on it for 4-5 years. Maybe more.

I just went by and took 2 minutes to see if I recognized names, etc. :shock:

I recognized a few names, but I did not recognize any posters. It is like a non-stop 2-minute hate. Everyone still posting there is in lockstep, and they have nothing but contempt for anyone not agreeing with them.

A few people who I recalled as perhaps a little over-strident but whom I could talk to back then were still there, but it is almost like they are different people. I don't think we could have a debate or discussion any more, I'd simply be run off the forum on a rail. It made me nostalgic, I guess. There were a lot of arguments then, but at least a couple dozen posters could disagree - even strongly disagree - without assuming the other side was Hitler on steroids.

On the bright side, I am doubly glad I didn't hand over any personal information to stay there.
Yeah, it is a great example of groupthink/echo chamber in action.

It is depressing though. Some posters who I’d considered sane centrists for years reacted to trumps win by saying that if he won again, it would be time to resort to armed rebellion. When I asked what specifically he had done that merited such a conclusion, I just got scoffed at.

2 minute hate 24/7 now.

(Last thread I lurked on was where they were agreeing how “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” was outdated and that violence would often be justified)

Edited to say “lurked “ not “liked”
Last edited by Giz on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

I recall, dimly, that I left after Darat or somebody implemented a reporting thing where posters could rat out other posters. I did a survey and it turned out that most posters liked the idea of being little fucking Quislings. I left without a word.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Ideas and words are dangerous
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

There are no far right posters here from what I can tell. Unless a moderate middle of the road opinion is considered as such by the authoritarian mob. Easy to label opinion one doesn't like as far right and hate speech and then post hoc rationalize that they don't deserve an opinion.

You guys talking about the International skeptic forum place thingy?
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re talking about
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

This thread has been reported.

jdReport
Captain
Title: Captain

Post by Captain »

Someone needin' a night in the Box?
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Giz wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:45 pm Yeah, it is a great example of groupthink/echo chamber in action.

It is depressing though. Some posters who I’d considered sane centrists for years reacted to trumps win by saying that if he won again, it would be time to resort to armed rebellion. When I asked what specifically he had done that merited such a conclusion, I just got scoffed at.

2 minute hate 24/7 now.

(Last thread I liked on was where they were agreeing how “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” was outdated and that violence would often be justified)
The swing away from free speech was shocking, as well. But yeah - just a lot of visceral hate showing through from a few posters that I would not have thought would ever be that way.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

ed wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:41 pm I recall, dimly, that I left after Darat or somebody implemented a reporting thing where posters could rat out other posters. I did a survey and it turned out that most posters liked the idea of being little fucking Quislings. I left without a word.
Yeah. I didn't mind the idea, but when it was implemented, I was hoping it to be limited to copyright or legal issues.

Once they started parsing posts and disallowing "personal attacks," but ok-ing sneaky personal attacks that merely passive-aggressively attacked someone through criticism of their posts, it was only a matter of time.
Captain
Title: Captain

Post by Captain »

You boys still listenin' to those chains clinkin' all these years later? Got a road waitin' to be tarred right here.
Dragline
Title: Top Dog

Post by Dragline »

Takin' it off, here, Cap'tin!

Look! The Bosses got their rules. We ain't got nothin' to do with that. Us bein' natural-born world-shakers all these years later!
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

I can only eat 42 eggs.