Wine

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: G_D

Wine

Post by ed »

I guess I was a bit of a wine snob back in the day, up until I quit drinking.

I am noticing now something interesting... the number of different wines with cute labels seems to be escalating. It made me wonder, are folks simply bottling bulk wines and engaging in a marketing ploy with cutsie pie labels? I recall that you could buy wine and have it labeled as a vanity thing back in the day. You'd get a case of "Ed's Wine" to give to friends. Is that what is going on except writ large?
solely

Re: Wine

Post by solely »

Why not? You're the marketing expert, You can do it with anything, water, tea ,coffee, cow piss...
solely

Post by solely »

Trader Joe's,
Two Buck Chuck
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tw ... BasicHover
solely

Post by solely »

Nancy Pelosi has a vineyard in St. Helena (Napa Valley) but some say her grapes are sour.
Witness

Post by Witness »

The greatest wines often have very simple labels: no need to pretend.

https://i.imgur.com/PrtrGdB.jpg

Most of what is written on this one is required by law.

On the other hand there has to be a fierce competition in the middle range as we now have an incredible choice. At the local supermarkets I can buy regional wines I never heard about from France, Italy, Portugal and Spain (and Switzerland, but I'm not interested), sometimes Austria, Germany or Hungary as well, and quite a selection from Mexico, Argentina, Chile and Australia. California not so much.

So they go for attention-grabbing labels.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Grape flavored battery acid...unless I'm trying to wall up a fucktard in the cellar, then I add way too much sugar.
ed

Post by ed »

My point is that there are vineyards that produce wine for bottlers, like there are growing co-ops that produce vegetables for birds eye/green giant and store brands. Thing is that I sense that, while these custom bottlers have always been around, that now they have an entirely new customer base. Folks that have distribution (which is the only thing in retail) an ad budget and a cute label. Has zero to do with the wine, it is facings.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Of course. Cheapo wine brands in French supermarkets (and elsewhere too, I presume) are often tagged with "vins de divers pays de la Communauté Européenne" (wines from various EU countries) so you don't know where they come from.
solely

Post by solely »

So, you're not going to introduce 'Ed's Wine'?
ed

Post by ed »

Ed always whines
Witness

Post by Witness »

Finished a bottle of Faustino I 2005. Tomorrow I think I'll go for an Amarone with my cheese. :)