Jetpack Man/Woman/They/Them/It

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Jetpack Man/Woman/They/Them/It

Post by Pyrrho »

Crazy

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ol-reports
Around 6:12 p.m. Wednesday, a Boeing 747 pilot radioed to report “a possible jetpack man in sight,” according to a recording from the website LiveATC.

The pilot spotted an object that might have resembled a jetpack 15 miles east of LAX at 5,000 feet altitude, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson said. “Out of an abundance of caution, air traffic controllers alerted other pilots in the vicinity.”
Last edited by Pyrrho on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Jetpack Man

Post by ed »

Dad?
solely

Re: Jetpack Man

Post by solely »

How can they be sure it's a man?
Pyrrho

Re: Jetpack Man/Woman/They/Them/It

Post by Pyrrho »

solely wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:46 pm How can they be sure it's a man?
I fixed the thread title to be more intersectional.
solely

Post by solely »

many thanks.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

It’s high level trolling
robinson

Post by robinson »

Just a balloon that looks like iron man
Witness

Post by Witness »

Pyrrho wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 pm
solely wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:46 pm How can they be sure it's a man?
I fixed the thread title to be more intersectional.
How can they be sure it's a human?
Fid

Post by Fid »

Actually a good question. Given the tech in robotic flying shit it's entirely possible some fucktard was jerking off while practicing to make a plane crash.
shuize

Post by shuize »

ed

Post by ed »

https://static.tweaktown.com/news/8/0/8 ... n_full.jpg
robinson

Post by robinson »

The thing not said, is that commercial jets don’t not have any collision radar

Much less any warning system
solely

Post by solely »

5000 feet, pretty bold, but at what height does it not matter?
30-40 feet? more?
robinson

Post by robinson »

If they can't keep you safe from a rocket man, you are not safe
solely

Post by solely »

solely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm 5000 feet, pretty bold, but at what height does it not matter?
30-40 feet? more?
I mean at what height does rocket human? begin fatal risk?
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

solely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm
solely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm 5000 feet, pretty bold, but at what height does it not matter?
30-40 feet? more?
It's a little bit complicated depending on where you are, but in general, you are safe flying a jetpack (or rocketbelt) up to 1000 feet above the ground, because airplanes aren't usually allowed to fly below that. However, near airports (especially within 5 miles of the runway), you shouldn't fly a jetpack higher than 400 feet. Common sense would say that if you fly within five miles of a runway, you are at greater rick of collision with an aircraft.

There are other scenarios with different altitude limits. Example: In what the FAA calls "uncontrolled airspace" (which is common in remote rural areas) airplanes are allowed to fly as low as 500 feet, so that would be an exception to the 1000 foot rule.

Or another way to say it is that, in general, airplanes are allowed to fly as low as 1000 feet above the ground, and sometimes less, depending on where they are.

Another complication is flying a jetpack in an area where crop-dusters fly, since they fly right down to within mere feet of the ground. If you're flying a jetpack in that kind of area, it's not too hard to spot a crop-duster and stay out of his way.

When I was flying Cessnas in Idaho (in the 1970s), there were vast areas where it was legal to fly a Cessna right down to ground level, as long as you stay at least 500 feet from any man-made structure. I'm not going to admit that I know this first-hand, but there is enough room to fly a Cessna under high-voltage power lines. I'm also not going to admit to ever having flown a Cessna alongside a train running through the open desert in southern Idaho.

I'm not sure if that answers your question.
ed

Post by ed »

xouper wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:18 pm
30-40 feet? more?
It's a little bit complicated depending on where you are, but in general, you are safe flying a jetpack (or rocketbelt) up to 1000 feet above the ground, because airplanes aren't usually allowed to fly below that. However, near airports (especially within 5 miles of the runway), you shouldn't fly a jetpack higher than 400 feet. Common sense would say that if you fly within five miles of a runway, you are at greater rick of collision with an aircraft.

There are other scenarios with different altitude limits. Example: In what the FAA calls "uncontrolled airspace" (which is common in remote rural areas) airplanes are allowed to fly as low as 500 feet, so that would be an exception to the 1000 foot rule.

Or another way to say it is that, in general, airplanes are allowed to fly as low as 1000 feet above the ground, and sometimes less, depending on where they are.

Another complication is flying a jetpack in an area where crop-dusters fly, since they fly right down to within mere feet of the ground. If you're flying a jetpack in that kind of area, it's not too hard to spot a crop-duster and stay out of his way.

When I was flying Cessnas in Idaho (in the 1970s), there were vast areas where it was legal to fly a Cessna right down to ground level, as long as you stay at least 500 feet from any man-made structure. I'm not going to admit that I know this first-hand, but there is enough room to fly a Cessna under high-voltage power lines. I'm also not going to admit to ever having flown a Cessna alongside a train running through the open desert in southern Idaho.

Thats interesting but I think the question was how high up do you have to be before a fall is necessarily fatal. Spare me the Russian chick falling 10.000 feet into a snow drift.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:14 pm Thats interesting but I think the question was how high up do you have to be before a fall is necessarily fatal. Spare me the Russian chick falling 10.000 feet into a snow drift.
Any fall can be fatal. Not a glib comment but just pointing out that human bodies can be incredibly fragile at the worst possible time.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I wonder what would ensue if a jet impacted a jetpack-flying human. I suppose it depends on what part of the aircraft hits the flyer? If I had my mind right I might attempt to calculate but a) I ain't got my mind right and b) I wouldn't know where to begin with the mathematics and c) I have zero knowledge of aircraft structural durability or the durability of a jetpack. I assume that the human would basically become a rain of blood, skin, bone, and shredded flight suit.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Most jetpacks don't have the flight duration to safely climb to 5000 feet, and then descend to a safe landing. Mostly they are flown just a few feet above land or water for a handful of minutes at a time.

There may be jetpacks theoretically capable of flying up to 5000 feet and back, but it would take a brave and reckless jetpack pilot to attempt it. I doubt that it's ever been done. I think the world record was 6000 feet, but that was a jetpack ascent, with a parachute descent and landing.
robinson

Post by robinson »

It’s a ballon drone

And it’s trolling
Witness

Post by Witness »

Not an expert so take it with a grain of salt.

@ ed: in the lower atmosphere skydivers reach a limit speed of ~ 200 km/h (depends on body position). Starting from the stratosphere you can go faster (Skydiver Felix Baumgartner breaks sound barrier) as there is less air resistance.

@ Gram: Indeed. I read that a one meter fall on a hard surface can be enough to break a skull.

@ Pyrrho: that's what a bird can do:

https://i.imgur.com/mw4Dg07.jpeg

So extrapolate to a dude wearing a jetpack. :mrgreen:
xouper

Post by xouper »

ed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:14 pm
Spoiler:
xouper wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:18 pm
30-40 feet? more?

Thats interesting but I think the question was how high up do you have to be before a fall is necessarily fatal. Spare me the Russian chick falling 10.000 feet into a snow drift.
Good point. Perhaps the question was ambiguous as to what it was asking:

1. How high can you fall from and survive?

2. How high can you fly your jetpack and the risk of collision with an airplane will still be at a minimum?

To me, interpretation #1 seems like the kind of question almost everyone would know the answer to, so I assumed that was not the question being asked.

Obviously I could be wrong. Only one person knows.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:28 am Not an expert so take it with a grain of salt.

@ ed: in the lower atmosphere skydivers reach a limit speed of ~ 200 km/h (depends on body position).
I can confirm that from first-hand knowledge. The highest I've ever jumped from is 18,000 feet (above mean sea level), which is the maximum you can go without permission from air traffic control.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Back when I spent time in high places most fellers agreed:
10 ft. Maybe fine if you're ok with some fractures.
20 ft. If you live you'll be fucked up.
30 ft. nope.
I say this because I was directly responsible for a guy walking into a ladder I was supposed to be guarding from such fucktards.
10 ft. Billy gets a busted ankle. Out of all the scary shit involving hanging off buildings this is the one that lo 40 years later still gives me nightmares.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Back in my plumbing days, one of the sewer cleaning machines tried to pull me off a roof onto a concrete patio.

I don't remember my dreams very well, but that one comes back from time to time.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

FWIW

https://www.avclub.com/jetpack-man-retu ... 1847394580
Though we already cracked the case wide open last fall, authorities continue to be confused as to the identity of a mysterious jetpacker who’s reappeared over the skies of Los Angeles once again this week. This person, who is obviously evil French supervillain and one-man invasion force Franky Zapata, has been fairly quiet over the last few months, but returned on Wednesday evening to further baffle the FBI and air traffic controllers.
:freedom:
ed

Post by ed »

Banksy?????
solely

Post by solely »

So, not human.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Obviously the way to invade and attack is jet suits
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Air Force can’t find you, and you don’t show up on radar
xouper

Post by xouper »

robinson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm . . . and you don’t show up on radar
False.

Edited to add: I'm referring to Air Force radar, since (in the part I snipped) you were talking about the Air Force.
robinson

Post by robinson »

If it shows up, they can find out what it be