Colorado move

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Colorado move

Post by gnome »

Well, we're here. The idea of moving to the Denver area started way back in 1997, when I visited along with a girlfriend and decided I loved the place. We planned on returning for good when we could work out the practicalities. Instead I got a house still in Florida at family price with a marvelously affordable mortgage. Being in my 20s, instead of using those low expenses to become more solvent, fix up the house a bit, sell it again and make whatever move I wanted, instead I racked up debt on stupid stuff (not even anything dramatic like drugs or gambling), and refinanced myself further and further away from a profitable sale.

Lots of other things got in the way too. My wife shared my fascination with the area and we made it one of our goals--for when I went looking for a new job or retired or something like that. It was always something a few years down the road.

What changed was getting a work from home job (pre-pandemic). We realized we could live anywhere, so we started actually moving towards this happening. The stars finally aligned and we took the plunge. I think we're going to love it. The apartment's pretty good, the neighborhood's pretty good, we're about 0.2 miles away from a light rail station. Me and my wife, my stepson, and two cats. He'll be here long enough to get a job, save some money, and find a place of his own. His history and current behavior shows me he'll manage it before too long. Then that room becomes my office.

The only scary part is we had to move into the apartment before the sale closed on our house, because of some stupid foot-dragging county permit thing. It's settled now and the closing is about five days away.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Colorado move

Post by Pyrrho »

Congratulations.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Congrats. You a ski person?
gnome

Post by gnome »

Milestones:

1st time living outside the Tampa Bay area since I was 7.

1st time not living within a few hours of family.

1st cross-country drive. That was an interesting experience. My stepson and his father (who is a good friend still) drove the moving truck, with stepson's car hitched to the back. Mystiqalwolf and I took the Civic with the two cats in the back seat. We had planned two stops, one near Nashville (kind of arbitrarily) and one in Newton, KS (to visit a friend that had moved out there recently). I drove the first shift starting around 6PM, from I-75 up midway into GA. Around then we decided to just keep trading off instead of stopping in Nashville. Mystiqalwolf took over while I slept, and when it was my turn again we'd gone through Atlanta, the rest of GA, through TN, and into Kentucky. From there I was able to get through KY, southern IL, Missouri (getting a good look at St. Louis), and then seemingly endless stretches of sparsely populated farmland. On and on and on. I got into Kansas and somehow it became even more sparse and boring. But we finally made it to Newton, had dinner with the friend, stayed in a hotel, and the next day I drove the rest of the way into Colorado and reached Lone Tree, our new home.

There was an interesting bit in Missouri when, driving on mental autopilot, I got the "low fuel" warning letting me know I had to find gas within 40 miles. Not too hard but I couldn't wait for a familiar style exit with a few fast food places, a truck stop, and a big 7-11 or something. No, I had to exit and drive along rural roads for a short bit until I came to an old country store with a SINGLE pump in front. It was modern enough, had a digital display but no card reader. Looking it up now, it was this one in Williamsburg, MO:

https://www.goodfoodstl.com/wp-content/ ... G_4012.jpg

Apparently something of an attraction for road trippers that I had managed to stumble upon. But to my mind it looked something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/54/dd/4e ... 355b8c.jpg.

The only real setback on the move was Stepson's dad screwed up unhitching the car, and gave him the thumbs up to pull back before all the chains were off. Now the frame or axel or something is messed up and we'll have to see what it costs to fix, once our house sale money arrives.
Last edited by gnome on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gnome

Post by gnome »

ed wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:44 pm Congrats. You a ski person?
Never have been--though who knows.
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Congrats on all those milestones. What a great experience for all the Gnomes!!
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

gnome wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:33 pm Well, we're here.
:figamagee:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Remember. Less oxygen means the sex will be better according to the Tories.

I usually use ligatures. Close to sea level y'see. No accidents yet too!

Someone had to do it.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

In case you might be interested:

• Colorado Bucket List Adventure Guide:
    Explore 100 Offbeat Destinations You Must Visit!

Publication date : ‎ October 4, 2021
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HSD1PLY/

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51dFdKs+3pL.jpg

The kindle version is still free on amazon as I write this, so get it while you can. I haven't read it so I cannot comment on its usefulness. I suppose you could ask for your money back.

No publisher listed, so I assume self-published.

Paperback: $14.99
gnome

Post by gnome »

Just snagged it
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

But not a pick.

https://i.imgur.com/PmKebmN.gif

– J.D.