William's Syndrome

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

William's Syndrome

Post by Rob Lister »

If I had to pick a disability to be born with, it would be William's Syndrome.

ed
Title: G_D

Re: William's Syndrome

Post by ed »

Williams syndrome (WS) is a genetic disorder that affects many parts of the body.[3] Facial features frequently include a broad forehead, short nose and full cheeks, an appearance that has been described as "elfin".[3][5] While mild to moderate intellectual disability with particular problems with visual spatial tasks such as drawing is typical, verbal skills are generally relatively unaffected.[3] Those affected often have an outgoing personality, interact readily with strangers, and appear happy.[3][5] Problems with teeth, heart problems (especially supravalvular aortic stenosis), and periods of high blood calcium are common.[2][3]

Williams syndrome is caused by a genetic abnormality, specifically a deletion of about 27 genes from the long arm of one of the two chromosome 7s.[3][5] Typically this occurs as a random event during the formation of the egg or sperm from which a person develops.[3] In a small number of cases, it is inherited from an affected parent in an autosomal dominant manner.[3] The different characteristic features have been linked to the loss of specific genes.[3] The diagnosis is typically suspected based on symptoms and confirmed by genetic testing.[2]

Treatment includes special education programs and various types of therapy.[2] Surgery may be done to correct heart problems.[2] Dietary changes or medications may be required for high blood calcium.[2] The syndrome was first described in 1961 by New Zealander John C. P. Williams.[6][7] Williams syndrome affects between 1 in 7,500 to 1 in 20,000 people at birth.[5] Life expectancy is less than that of the general population, mostly due to the increased rates of heart disease.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome

WTF are you on about Rob?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I guess it does have an up side.
Those affected often have an outgoing personality, interact readily with strangers, and appear happy.[3][5]
That's the key sentence. Other than that, not exactly a great thing to have.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Sounds like a person on drugs.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

She's a lovely girl though. I hope she has a happy life.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

ed wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:44 am Sounds like a person on drugs.
For all I know maybe that's what it's like. I don't have the condition so I wouldn't know, but I do know how my personality changes when I've been drinking. I'm normally not very talkative or outgoing, but I can talk your ear off sometimes if I've been drinking and you can't escape. :P
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Looking through the literature on the syndrome, you have lack of development of control pathways from the frontal regions which are areas that get depressed by alcohol.

– J.D.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

So a 'genetic drunk' then?

I could have saved a shit load of money...
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Though, to take it seriously, they are not drunk.

It appears that they are, perhaps, disinhibited.

– J.D.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Fascinating.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Why did I post this here?

At one point in the video he does talk about Williams Syndrome. He says that dogs are like wolves with Williams Syndrome. They just want to love, and to be loved. (Of course, there's some exceptions. Some dogs can be very aggressive.)
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I've heard that. Also a Russian experiment to tame foxes (there are many now but that I saw first)

As the breed their first kit, they breadn the friendlest (but still mean and scared. They kept going, and going and going 50 plus years now. And all the foxes droopy ears, bigger eyes, wagging tales, so happy to be loved. Essentially lap dogs.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yeah, I saw a video with the Russian fox experiment. Selective breeding is pretty cool.