The generic text adventure thread.

Stump your fellow simians.
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

The generic text adventure thread.

Post by gnome »

Ok, here's how it works. People take turns posting, taking on the player or the computer's response, depending on what came last. Hilarity (or boredom) ensues.

For example: I post:
You find yourself in a wide clearing. There is a pile of leaves.
>_
Next poster:
> Move leaves
Next poster:
Under the leaves you find a banana peel.
>_
... and so forth, only with more embellishment as appropriate.

I recommend saving a placeholder first, so that if someone comes along while you're writing they'll know you intend to add to it already.

BEGIN:

QUARK I: The Great Underground Skeptical Community Empire

Copyright (c) 2009, Notinfocom, Inc. All rights reserved.

Revision 000001 / Serial number 4343434

A Crooked Path
You are walking along a stone path in a grassy valley. The path winds along the nadir of the valley, taking several turns along the way. The path continues north. To the east is a dirt path into a forest. To the west, an impassable mountain ridge. To the south, another dirt path leads to the small beach where you arrived.

There is a printed leaflet here.

>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>burn leaflet.
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

What do you want to burn the leaflet with?
>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>Get leaflet
>Spontaneaously combust.
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

You pick up the leaflet and scrunch up your face like Masi Oka, and are completely engulfed in a lack of flame. Nice try.
>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>Inv
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

I'm sorry. I did not understand your mumbling. What is it that you would like to do:
A. Place leaflet in your liderhosen?
B. Roll up the leaflet to snort Cocaine.
C. Read leaflet
>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>Inventory. Dipshit.
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

Inventory: An old rusty sword.

>xyzzy

[edited because CB is a dipshit]
Last edited by Mentat on Fri May 01, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

FAIL.
>_
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

> Cast fire blast spell at leaflet
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Who the fug are you? Gandalf?
>_
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

>Read leaflet.

[Minor correction, inventory should include the leaflet as well I think?]
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

On the leaflet the following words are written:

Find the wombat.
Only the wombat knows.

>_
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

>Look at back of leaflet
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

You turn the leaflet over. On the back is a list.

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Bacon
Kleenex
Hand lotion
Whipping cream
>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>East
>Cut branch off tree with rusty sword
>Pare into twigs
>rub sticks together
>create fire
>burn leaflet
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Post by Rob Lister »

Mulebear wrote:You turn the leaflet over. On the back is a list.

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Bacon
Kleenex
Hand lotion
Whipping cream
>_
>Go south
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Rob Lister wrote:
Mulebear wrote:You turn the leaflet over. On the back is a list.

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Bacon
Kleenex
Hand lotion
Whipping cream
>_
>Go south
Excuse me. You had seven minutes to read my post and respond accordingly.
DrMatt
BANNED
Posts: 29811
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Location: Location!

Post by DrMatt »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Mulebear wrote:You turn the leaflet over. On the back is a list.

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Bacon
Kleenex
Hand lotion
Whipping cream
>_
>Go south
Excuse me. You had seven minutes to read my post and respond accordingly.
*You find yourself stuck for seventeen days. Seventeen Days!*
That masked man
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 am

Post by That masked man »

Rob Lister wrote:
Mulebear wrote:You turn the leaflet over. On the back is a list.

Eggs
Milk
Flour
Sugar
Bacon
Kleenex
Hand lotion
Whipping cream
>_
>Go south
This thread has already gone south.
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:>East
>Cut branch off tree with rusty sword
>Pare into twigs
>rub sticks together
>create fire
>burn leaflet
[Too many commands at once, what if Claus is behind the tree with a drumstick? Want to go to just "east"?]
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

gnome wrote:
CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:>East
>Cut branch off tree with rusty sword
>Pare into twigs
>rub sticks together
>create fire
>burn leaflet
Too many commands at once, what if Claus is behind the tree with a drumstick?
Then I should give thanks that I am not a terrorist.

Want to go to just "east"?
If you insist.


>E
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

You come to a clearing. A man is standing next to a pile of leaves. Your rusty sword glows blue.

>_
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

>Give counseling to sword.
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

The man mumbles something. You think you see the pile of leaves move.

>_
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

[for Charlie]

>Cut small tree branches with rusty sword
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

The tree says, "Ouch".
The tree grabs you and rips your head off.

***********************************

You awaken and realize that you are walking along a stone path in a grassy valley. The path winds along the nadir of the valley, taking several turns along the way. The path continues north. To the east is a dirt path into a forest. To the west, an impassable mountain ridge. To the south, another dirt path leads to the small beach where you arrived.

There is a printed leaflet here. It smells of pine.

>_
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

[What about the white house?]

>Read leaflet
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

On the leaflet the following words are written:

Find the wombat.
Only the wombat knows.
>_
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

>e
Mulebear
Posts: 11048
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

Post by Mulebear »

You head east. After 17 days of walking you get really pissed off.
Just as the Sun is setting on the seventeenth day you are confronted by an air marshal holding a drumstick and walking an alligator.
>_
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Post by gnome »

>Toss leaflet near the air marshal, saying "Look out, it's got a gun".
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

The alligator eats the leaflet and turns into a dragon. Next time you should be more careful and conserve your poly morph scrolls; they could come in handy.

The dragon eats the air marshal.

>_
Luke T.
Posts: 27094
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Nowhere near Pakistan

Post by Luke T. »

>take dragon's leash
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18

Post by Mentat »

You now have a busted leash in your inventory.

Some birds chirping in a nearby tree catches the dragon's attention.

>_
TexasFevre
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Post by TexasFevre »

>South
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The generic text adventure thread.

Post by gnome »

WELL?!
Witness
Posts: 35689
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: The generic text adventure thread.

Post by Witness »

You come to an old, dilapidated house.
A faded, barely legible sign next to the door reads "Nostalgia Inn".

You hear echoes from conversations past…

>_
gnome
Posts: 25942
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The generic text adventure thread.

Post by gnome »

>resurrect thread