Rogue TOXIC space station will crash into San Fran

Because there are no forums on Planet X
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Rogue TOXIC space station will crash into San Fran

Post by Rob Lister »

If you weren't breathless of the fur banning thread, this will certainly frighten you.
Rogue TOXIC space station could crash into Earth NEXT WEEK

AN OUT-OF-CONTROL space station packed with “cancer causing” chemicals could hit a number of major world cities, Earth has been warned.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... ng-chinese

https://i.imgur.com/LmmvZwv.jpg

I'm rooting for San Francisco.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Rogue TOXIC space station will crash into San Fran

Post by sparks »

Jeebus Listy.

You usually post such good shit too.

Dayum.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

I'm rooting for it to fly up Listy's ass.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

He'd like that a bit too much for that to ever occur.

Too nice for the likes of this establishment.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

LmmvZwv.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

Piffle. It has to be toxic and radioactive. https://s7.postimg.org/94tbjv95n/run-around-smiley.gif
sparks

Post by sparks »

Toxic, radioactive. WTF is the difference except how one dies?

"Well, I've been chewing Skoal for 50 years now and I can't understand why my lower lip fell off..."

And other such fucking nonsense.

(cigarettes: the better delivery system)
sparks

Post by sparks »

"Spiritual"=="I know something is out there that loves me, I just don't know what it's really all about yet."

It's a fucking cookbook you foolz.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:70% of young Brits are 'not religious' (BBC)

But are they "spiritual"? :P
I'll readily admit that religion is toxic (and good riddance), but fail to see a link with the space station. :?

Religious beliefs crashing here and there?
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Sometimes I wish I had named my daughter Debris, just so she could correct everyone and say "No, it's pronounced Deb-riss".
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Latest estimates put reentry at sometime between March 29 and April 4. The location is still anyone's guess, although it should be between 43 degrees north and south.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/ch ... ncna859806
ed

Post by ed »

From NBC:
https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/ ... t-600w.jpg

Can someone interpret this mess for me?

Thank you.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

So what should we expect? How big is that thing. For comparison ...

Communist Pinko Red Chinese Tiangong Space Station
Mass 8,506 kg (18,753 lb)
Length 10.4 m (34.1 ft)
Diameter 3.35 m (11.0 ft)

Democratic True Blue American Space Shuttle
Mass 2,030,000 kg (4,470,000 lb)
Length 56.1 m (184.2 ft)
Diameter 8.7 m (28.5 ft)
Mass 2,030 t (4,470,000 lb)

Well then. Our old space shuttle could eat that thing for breakfast.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote:From NBC:
https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/ ... t-600w.jpg

Can someone interpret this mess for me?

Thank you.
For one I think it is wrong.
The ship does not orbit the earth at the equator so it's path along the ground traces a sign wave north and south that peaks at 43 degrees north and south.

I do not understand why they think the edges of the orbital inclination north and south have a greater probability; it doesn't spend any more time there than in the middle. It does look that way when you plot the inclination as a sign wave on a flat map projection but that's an illusion.
ed

Post by ed »

And, Rob, I think I speak for all of us here when I say that I am profoundly grateful that you have brought this incipient danger to our attention so that we can take appropriate action.

Kudos.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Ed, I speak for myself and the totality of my dusky staff when I say you're more than welcome
sparks

Post by sparks »

ed? Got any extra room in the fallout shelter?
ed

Post by ed »

Doors closed and locked already. Sorry there chief.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks

Post by sparks »

ed wrote:Doors closed and locked already. Sorry there chief.

And I thought we were friends....

:)

OK--fuck you too! When I come back as a Zombie, I'll be looking for your BRAINS bitch!!11Eleventy.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Apparently there's a youtube channel where you can watch live:

Here's the website for more info on that:
https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/

And this one is also keeping track:
http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/2018 ... y-updates/

There's charts showing stuff.

http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/file ... ow_1-4.png
http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/file ... ay_1-4.png
The current estimated reentry window runs from the morning of 31 March to the afternoon of 1 April (in UTC time); this is highly variable.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Bumpity bump bump.

From the above link, updated
A high-speed stream of particles from the Sun, which was expected to reach Earth and influence our planet’s geomagnetic field, did, in fact, not have any effect, and calmer space weather around Earth and its atmosphere is now expected in the coming days.

This means that the density of the upper atmosphere, through which Tiangong-1 is moving, did not increase as predicted (which would have dragged the spacecraft down sooner) and hence the ESA Space Debris Office has adjusted the predicted decay rate.

This implies that the new (and still uncertain) reentry window has shifted to later in the day on 1 April.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Should be entering just about now. Eta is 0030 UTC, which is 8:30 PM EDT. Plus/minus about an hour and a half.

https://www.space.com/40164-chinese-spa ... t-day.html
ed

Post by ed »

Battening down the hatches.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

http://www.heavens-above.com/GroundTrack.aspx
Current at 148km (about 92 miles) which is technically in the atmosphere
It's over the southern tip of South America.
Currently losing 1 km/min but that will increase very quickly now.

I predict Saudi.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Happening next 3 minutes
I cAN hear the antennas ripping off in the wind now.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

At 9:00 the fucker started gaining altitude at 133 km Those sneaky chinese are firing the last of it engines so it de-orbits off their coast.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

WTF? I thought they could no longer control it.

If that website is accurate it seems to be no longer losing altitude.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

could be that it's a somewhat elliptical orbit. If it crashes in the south china sea we know they are controlling it.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

CNN is reporting that it landed in the middle of the South Pacific, citing China's space agency.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/01/asia ... index.html
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

weird, tracking shows it at 137 km
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't believe that tracking site. The laws of physics say that can't be true. Even if there were rockets and they had some control, the fuel would have run out long ago. Therefore whatever they were showing was probably phony.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

:(
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Dick Wad wrote:Tiangong 1 Re-entry

We've had quite a few e-mails from people asking why our ground track display is still showing the position of Tiangong 1 after the re-entry has been widely reported in the media. It seems many people have been confused by the words "real-time display". Our displays are not receiving real-time data on the position of Tiangong-1, because there is no source providing such data. The words "real-time" were intended to indicate that the displays update automatically, and the web page does not need to be refreshed by the user to show the current position.
Yea, the only person 'confused' is you, Dick.

Any reasonable person would assume you meant "live". So you should have told us that up front.

Well, I suppose that's what happens when you 'assume'. You make an ass out of me and Umption.
Words have meanings.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Point Nemo (marked in red) in the south Pacific Ocean is farther from land than any other point on Earth. It is also home to the world's largest 'Spacecraft Cemetery'.
Credit: PGC/NASA IBCAO Landsat/USGS/Google
https://s7.postimg.org/e2r8shp63/image.jpg
Live Science wrote:The Chinese Space Station Narrowly Missed Landing in the World's Largest 'Spacecraft Cemetery'

If you were asked to choose the ideal spot for an out-of-control, disintegrating space station to crash-land on Earth, you might wisely suggest "the most remote place on the planet."

That place is Point Nemo — also known as the "Oceanic Pole of Inaccessibility." Named for Jules Verne's deep-sea-diving captain of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" fame, Point Nemo is nestled in the middle of the southern Pacific Ocean, farther from land (and humanity) than any other point on Earth. It is located, literally, in the middle of nowhere. But it isnꞌt empty.

About 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) below the ocean's surface, Point Nemo houses the largest "Spacecraft Cemetery" on Earth, concealing the ripped-up remains of hundreds of defunct spacecraft that were guided there in controlled re-entries dating back to the 1970s. Last night (April 1), China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space station almost landed there by sheer cosmic coincidence.
[…]
Tiangong-1's re-entry into Earth's atmosphere was not controlled, but hundreds of similar spacecraft re-entries have been. Of these controlled descents, nearly 300 crash-landing spacecraft have been intentionally guided to Point Nemo since 1971, Popular Science reported. The buried debris includes everything from spent fuel tanks to spy satellites to entire defunct space stations. Nearly 200 of the cemetery's residents are Russian in origin, including the area's biggest celebrity: the 140-ton (127 metric tons) MIR space station, which was guided to Point Nemo in a controlled atmospheric re-entry in 2001. The International Space Station (ISS) is also scheduled to crash into Point Nemo once its mission is complete, sometime after 2024.
[…]

Partner Series
The Chinese Space Station Narrowly Missed Landing in the World's Largest 'Spacecraft Cemetery'
Point Nemo (marked in red) in the south Pacific Ocean is farther from land than any other point on Earth. It is also home to the world's largest 'Spacecraft Cemetery'.
Credit: PGC/NASA IBCAO Landsat/USGS/Google

If you were asked to choose the ideal spot for an out-of-control, disintegrating space station to crash-land on Earth, you might wisely suggest "the most remote place on the planet."

That place is Point Nemo — also known as the "Oceanic Pole of Inaccessibility." Named for Jules Verne's deep-sea-diving captain of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" fame, Point Nemo is nestled in the middle of the southern Pacific Ocean, farther from land (and humanity) than any other point on Earth. It is located, literally, in the middle of nowhere. But it isnꞌt empty.

About 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) below the ocean's surface, Point Nemo houses the largest "Spacecraft Cemetery" on Earth, concealing the ripped-up remains of hundreds of defunct spacecraft that were guided there in controlled re-entries dating back to the 1970s. Last night (April 1), China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space station almost landed there by sheer cosmic coincidence. [Gallery: Tiangong-1, China's First Space Laboratory]

Why is Point Nemo such a popular spot for controlled spacecraft re-entry? Simply put, it's the least-likely place on Earth for a human to get in the way of crash-landing debris. In the middle of the south Pacific Ocean between Australia, South America and Antarctica, Point Nemo is more than 1,450 miles (about 2,700 km) from the nearest land (the Pitcairn Islands to the north, one of the Easter Islands to the west and Antarctica's Maher Island to the south), according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. No vessels ever travel there; there is nothing to see.

Tiangong-1's re-entry into Earth's atmosphere was not controlled, but hundreds of similar spacecraft re-entries have been. Of these controlled descents, nearly 300 crash-landing spacecraft have been intentionally guided to Point Nemo since 1971, Popular Science reported. The buried debris includes everything from spent fuel tanks to spy satellites to entire defunct space stations. Nearly 200 of the cemetery's residents are Russian in origin, including the area's biggest celebrity: the 140-ton (127 metric tons) MIR space station, which was guided to Point Nemo in a controlled atmospheric re-entry in 2001. The International Space Station (ISS) is also scheduled to crash into Point Nemo once its mission is complete, sometime after 2024.

The red-hot remains of Tiangong-1 didn't land precisely in the spacecraft cemetery following their uncontrolled deorbit last night, but they did come somewhat close by pure chance. The space station reportedly landed in the south Pacific Ocean near American Samoa, several thousand miles northwest of Point Nemo.
https://www.livescience.com/62197-point ... nding.html

"Several thousand miles" = "narrowly missing", sure. :roll:
Fid

Post by Fid »

The so called "Pacific Ocean" is anything but. It's damn big and I'm pretty sure some folks in Australia would have liked to have some artifacts like Skylab to display.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Jesus bicyclenus Christ. Did you know that, according to some the jock strap belonging General George Armstrong Custer is purported to be on display in a museum.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Whew--made it in before the lock. Wow, not very spacious in here. Poor view. My potential rating is not off to a good start.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

@DPRK_News
United States Voyager 2 probe leaves solar system, bringing eventual onslaught of Daleks, Borgs, Vogons, Old Ones, and similar alien horrors to Earth.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Post by robinson »

This topic really delivered