Free Pistols

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: G_D

Free Pistols

Post by ed »

For reasons too tedious to explain, even for me, I developed an interest in Free Pistols. These are the things that are used in the 50m( :x ) Free Pistol event. The rule is that the gun must be single shot, .22, be supported with one hand and have iron sights. It was a somewhat peculiar sport to Germany where, it seems, every town had pistol shooting events.

Anyway, these things seem to be to be customized in every case I have come across. At least the higher end examples.

I bought a few of these things over the past couple of months and they shared one characteristic: they were all for a right handed shooter. I am left handed. So while I picked them up and popped a few caps at urchins stealing apples, I could not really get a feel for the things. Until earlier this week. I got an example that was made for a leftie. And the nature of the thing was so striking that I thought that I'd share.

Here is what the thing looks like
pix888426664.jpg
Now take a look at the shape of the grips
pix594279999.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/V05qYFE.jpg
See how that sorta wrap around? When you hold it you experience something interesting.
https://i.imgur.com/PcCveYU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wCG9vMB.jpg

There is only one way to hold it. The grip acts like a rigid glove, your hand fits "in" rather than "around" if you get my meaning. Something like those Indian Glove Swords

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1

Anyhoo, the competition consisted of 60 shots at 50meters < :x > with a maximum score of 600. I understand that a score of less than 570 was a non-starter for serious competition. n.b. the 10 Ring on the target is about 5cm (like 2.5 inches at 50 yards)
Last edited by ed on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ

Re: Free Pistols

Post by DJ »

I competed in police practical and international practical shooting competitions. Lots of fun, but I only mention it because, oh my gosh that’s a difficult standard to compete with. The grip looks so comfortable. How do you find your target at that distance with iron sights?

ETA- I practiced with 230gr. and competed with 157gr. I remembered the hassle of having to change the recoil spring.
solely

Post by solely »

Another gun, left handed, I thought so.
ed

Post by ed »

Amplify Sherlock.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:53 pm For reasons too tedious to explain, even for me
Jury's out.
ed

Post by ed »

Are you actually asking?????

Really?
solely

Post by solely »

ed, you seem to have a 'thing' for this style of gun, I'm less enthused. This is not an attempt to
discourage you, believe it or not I'm happy for the pleasure you receive with your hobby/business.
ed

Post by ed »

I think I am pretty much done. I have a few examples. They are interesting but, as I said, there seem to be an infinitude of these things. Each one noticeably different from the other.
solely

Post by solely »

If you stop then nothing of interest will take place here, so don't stop.
ed

Post by ed »

Did I post that odd 4 barrel thing here?
solely

Post by solely »

Don't know. Did I mention my vision is poor and I lean toward throwing more lead.
ed

Post by ed »

So Glocks and Berettas then.
solely

Post by solely »

Stop teasing.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

***BREAKING NEWS***
It's official.

ed is a self-confessed left-footer with T3h Gh3y, who buys faggy German pistols to match the leather Nazi gear he wears during his perverted S&M threesomes with Abdul Alhazred & Bruce.

Not, of course, that there is anything wrong with that...
ed

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:20 pm
***BREAKING NEWS***
It's official.

ed is a self-confessed left-footer with T3h Gh3y, who buys faggy German pistols to match the leather Nazi gear he wears during his perverted S&M threesomes with Abdul Alhazred & Bruce.

Not, of course, that there is anything wrong with that...
Mostly true. Funny thing is that I find nazi memorabilia repellent. Got 2 pistols and 2 daggers from my wife's uncle. Got a flag and a belt buckle from my dad (he liberated you lot, did I mention that?) and thats it. Never bought nothin. Except for that phony pantograph knife.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

:godwin: :D
ed

Post by ed »

Im happy to joke about it but i dont want that crap in my house.