SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-07-26/
A mixed vaccination of first AstraZeneca (AZN.L) and then a Pfizer (PFE.N) COVID-19 shot boosted neutralizing antibody levels by six times compared with two AstraZeneca doses, a study from South Korea showed.

The study involved 499 medical workers - 100 receiving mixed doses, 200 taking two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech (22UAy.DE) shot and the remainder getting two AstraZeneca shots.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cor ... d-pandemic
A coronavirus infection can mow down the forests of hairlike cilia that coat our airways, destroying a crucial barrier to keeping the virus from lodging deep in the lungs.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-24521-x
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

robinson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:17 pm It’s pretty amazing actually

Never before has there been a vaccine for a coronavirus, and here we have multiple ones, and a coronavirus that doesn’t mutate

It’s unbelievable
Yeah, and that’s because it was complete horseshit
robinson

Post by robinson »

So the mRNA virus that the vaccine actually is, doesn’t give immunity to the coronavirus

None of them

It just floods your body with spike proteins, made by your own cells

What could go wrong there?
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/YjHXQmh.jpeg
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Next up. Super Delta variant, kills everybody
Witness

Post by Witness »

“The vaccinated are a danger to the unvaccinated because of shedding!”: The latest COVID-19 antivaccine disinformation

Have you heard about how “shedding” of spike protein from the mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines, such as the vaccines produced by Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech, are making the unvaccinated sick and interfering with women’s menstrual cycles (or even causing miscarriages)? It’s producing some really bizarre social media posts:

[lots of Twatter posts]

Worse, this trope has led at least one private school to place restrictions on teachers who are vaccinated before the end of the school year, as The New York Times reported last week, and even to threaten teachers who receive the vaccine over the summer:
“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)
In the letter, Ms. Centner gave employees three options:
  • Inform the school if they had already been vaccinated, so they could be kept physically distanced from students;
  • Let the school know if they get the vaccine before the end of the school year, “as we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known”;
  • Wait until the school year is over to get vaccinated.
Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return, the letter said, until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only “if a position is still available at that time” — effectively making teachers’ employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine.

What I’ll do in this post is to outline the claims about shedding, follow up with a bit of historical perspective on the claim (which is not new), and then explain why the claim is nonsense, with no evidence to support it. Finally, I’ll try to put the claim in a broader perspective of types of antivaccine messaging.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/covid- ... -nonsense/ for the rest.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Medical personnel, especially Doctors, who suffer horrific reactions to the mRNA vaccines, make a much larger impact on medical personnel than any propaganda
robinson

Post by robinson »

Every news outlet, social media company, Google and all the politicians parroting the same lies, does not mean as much as Doctors talking to each other
robinson

Post by robinson »

It’s a major reason the liars are resorting to force to try and get people to take an experimental vaccine

No amount of bullshit trumps reality, when it comes to Doctors
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/NZcgsC2.png
Fid

Post by Fid »

robinson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 pm It’s a major reason the liars are resorting to force to try and get people to take an experimental vaccine

No amount of bullshit trumps reality, when it comes to Doctors
You sir/madam are an utter and complete dick.
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/QiDJ8rb.png

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... ear_to_be/

Not so big a difference in deaths/hospitalization. Possible causes: younger patients, vaccines, less crowded ICUs…
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/MCagPC2.png
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Opinion piece:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6553/397
Given the respiratory tropism of the virus, however, it seems surprising that only seven of the nearly 100 SARS-CoV-2 vaccines currently in clinical trials are delivered intranasally. Advantages of intranasal vaccines include needle-free administration, delivery of antigen to the site of infection, and the elicitation of mucosal immunity in the respiratory tract.
The article contains discussion of live attenuated virus vaccines, which I am sure will enthuse the know-it-all community.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Mercola complains about being criticized

August 3, 2021, health entrepreneur and dietary-supplement promoter Joseph Mercola, D.O. announced that after 48 hours, he would delete all of his website content—more than 15,000 articles he had published during the past 25 years. In March 2021, the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) listed him as #1 among a “Disinformation Dozen” who accounted for most of the anti-vaccine content posted on Facebook and Twitter. [The Disinformation Dozen: Why platforms must act on twelve leading anti-vaxxers. CCDH, March 2021] In a video, which has been viewed more than 350,000 times on YouTube, Mercola referred to this report and complained that:

Media coverage of the report was “a McCarthyism-like attack.”
The recent front-page story about him in The New York Times was “one of the most widely distributed stories in the world” and was false (in unspecified ways).
He was forced (by whom, he does not say) to remove his entire archive of articles.
Mercola said he will continue to publish new articles, but each new article will be available for 48 hours and will then be removed from his website.

CNN attempted to interview Mercola about his anti-vaccine views, but he declined. He later wrote to CNN offering misinformation about vaccines and treating COVID-19. CNN reported that Mercola had 14 accounts on mainstream social media with more than 4.3 million followers and his website had had 37 million visits since January. [CNN tracked down a super-spreader of COVID-19 misinformation. See how he reacted. Anderson Cooper 360, Aug 4, 2021] Quackwatch has summarized Mercola’s background and record of making illegal claims. As of August 8th, Mercola had not deleted the articles to which he referred and a Google search of mercola.com yielded links more than 2,000 pages that mentioned COVID-19.

QuackWatch
– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Phil Valentine, conservative radio host and vaccine skeptic, dies of COVID-19
Phil Valentine, a conservative radio talk show host who was a vaccine skeptic and disagreed with mask mandates up until he was diagnosed with COVID-19 last month, has died at age 61.
. . .

"Yes, the rumors are true," he wrote on Facebook. "I have COVID. Unfortunately for the haters out there, it looks like I'm going to make it."

He called the illness an "interesting experience" and said he would fill listeners in when he was back on the air. "I'm hoping that will be tomorrow, but I may take a day off just as a precaution. It'll be a game time decision," he wrote.

A few weeks later, the radio station shared an update on their Facebook page from Valentine's family, who said his condition had worsened.
. . .

Valentine's brother, Mark Valentine, also spoke on the radio after his brother's condition began to deteriorate, saying that Valentine was, "regretful that he wasn't a more vocal advocate of the vaccination," according to AP. "For those listening, I know if he were able to tell you this, he would tell you, 'Go get vaccinated. Quit worrying about the politics. Quit worrying about all the conspiracy theories.'"

Prior to his diagnosis, Valentine voiced skepticism about the coronavirus vaccines.

In December of 2020 he tweeted "I have a very low risk of A) Getting COVID and B) dying of it if I do. Why would I risk getting a heart attack or paralysis by getting the vaccine?"

He also recorded a parody song titled "Vaxman," which mocked the vaccine, according to WTVF.

Prior to his hospitalization, Valentine said on the radio that he was "taking vitamin D like crazy" and that a doctor agreed to prescribe him an anti-parasite drug called ivermectin, according to the Associated Press. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said not to take the medication to treat or prevent COVID-19.
On a personal note, I had my second dose of Pfizer last Wednesday. Hoping to travel home to see my parents and brothers around October or November.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Witness wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:35 am https://i.imgur.com/YjHXQmh.jpeg
Yep, imagine the healthcare workers working themselves ragged at great risk to help fucktards like this.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Prior to his hospitalization, Valentine said on the radio that he was "taking vitamin D like crazy" and that a doctor agreed to prescribe him an anti-parasite drug called ivermectin, according to the Associated Press.
Heavens to Betsy. . . .

– J.D.
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Imagine that turns out the true
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

What would the mechanism be for a counter intuitive thing like that I wonder?
robinson

Post by robinson »

None

It’s a deceptive claim
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Witness wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:35 am https://i.imgur.com/YjHXQmh.jpeg
. . . or much of anything else, it seems. The CDCs lack of clothes this last year has been eye-opening.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

New study out of Israel:

Having SARS-CoV-2 once confers much greater immunity than a vaccine—but no infection parties, please (Science)
By Meredith Wadman -- Aug. 26, 2021 , 8:00 PM

The natural immune protection that develops after a SARS-CoV-2 infection offers considerably more of a shield against the Delta variant of the pandemic coronavirus than two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to a large Israeli study that some scientists wish came with a “Don’t try this at home” label. The newly released data show people who once had a SARS-CoV-2 infection were much less likely than never-infected, vaccinated people to get Delta, develop symptoms from it, or become hospitalized with serious COVID-19.
However, a dose of the vaccine could still offer additional protection:
The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated. The new work could inform discussion of whether previously infected people need to receive both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or the similar mRNA vaccine from Moderna. Vaccine mandates don’t necessarily exempt those who had a SARS-CoV-2 infection already and the current U.S. recommendation is that they be fully vaccinated, which means two mRNA doses or one of the J&J adenovirus-based vaccine. Yet one mRNA dose might be enough, some scientists argue. And other countries including Germany, France, Italy, and Israel administer just one vaccine dose to previously infected people.

The study, conducted in one of the most highly COVID-19–vaccinated countries in the world, examined medical records of tens of thousands of Israelis, charting their infections, symptoms, and hospitalizations between 1 June and 14 August, when the Delta variant predominated in Israel. It’s the largest real-world observational study so far to compare natural and vaccine-induced immunity to SARS-CoV-2, according to its leaders.

The research impresses Nussenzweig and other scientists who have reviewed a preprint of the results, posted yesterday on medRxiv. “It’s a textbook example of how natural immunity is really better than vaccination,” says Charlotte Thålin, a physician and immunology researcher at Danderyd Hospital and the Karolinska Institute who studies the immune responses to SARS-CoV-2. “To my knowledge, it’s the first time [this] has really been shown in the context of COVID-19.”
Also ran across this one, by the same author, although a couple weeks old now:
A grim warning from Israel: Vaccination blunts, but does not defeat Delta
By Meredith Wadman -- Aug. 16, 2021 , 6:55 PM
“Now is a critical time,” Israeli Minister of Health Nitzan Horowitz said as the 56-year-old got a COVID-19 booster shot on 13 August, the day his country became the first nation to offer a third dose of vaccine to people as young as age 50. “We’re in a race against the pandemic.”

His message was meant for his fellow Israelis, but it is a warning to the world. Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine. Yet the country is now logging one of the world’s highest infection rates, with nearly 650 new cases daily per million people. More than half are in fully vaccinated people, underscoring the extraordinary transmissibility of the Delta variant and stoking concerns that the benefits of vaccination ebb over time.

The sheer number of vaccinated Israelis means some breakthrough infections were inevitable, and the unvaccinated are still far more likely to end up in the hospital or die. But Israel’s experience is forcing the booster issue onto the radar for other nations, suggesting as it does that even the best vaccinated countries will face a Delta surge.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:18 am https://i.imgur.com/QiDJ8rb.png

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... ear_to_be/

Not so big a difference in deaths/hospitalization. Possible causes: younger patients, vaccines, less crowded ICUs…
Could you show a graph for Flu? Just curious
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Cross-posted to this thread because of relevance.

CDC posted this yesterday:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vents.html
More than 380 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through September 13, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 7,653 reports of death (0.0020%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine.
If I did the math correctly, that is 20 deaths per million. There are 3 COVID-19 vaccines currently being administered in the United States of America: Janssen, Pfizer/Biontech, and Moderna. The Janssen vaccine is associated with reports of blood clot formation--which is also a possible symptom of COVID-19. The Janssen vaccine uses an altered virus. The other two are the mRNA vaccines. I couldn't find the name of "unknown manufacturer".

The VAERS database lists the number of death reports associated with the vaccines:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

https://i.imgur.com/UgAsdvY.jpg

I couldn't find data about how many doses of each vaccine have been administered but I think the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are the most widely administered. Using the VAERS site has two methods, one to deliver a table like the above, and another to download a CSV of the retrieved data for those who like to run their own analyses.

COVID-19 in the United States of America currently shows a death rate of 201.6 per 100,000 COVID-19 cases. According to this page at Johns Hopkins, the USA has had 40,955,201 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 659,970 deaths, 1.6% of cases.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Again, it is a benefit:risk situation. ~380 million vaccinations with 7,653 reported deaths versus ~41 million COVID-19 cases with ~659,970 deaths, or 0.0020% versus 1.6%.

Always consult your physician regarding medical decisions, including vaccinations, or, for that matter, ivermectin.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Data at Johns Hopkins this morning:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/

Cases: U.S. Confirmed

U.S. Deaths
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:05 pm Cross-posted to this thread because of relevance.

CDC posted this yesterday:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vents.html
More than 380 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through September 13, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 7,653 reports of death (0.0020%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine.
I recently did a little back-of-the envelope calculation.

The way it is worded is that these are reports of people who took the vaccine and subsequently died. How long after taking the vaccine did they die? It doesn't say. Was there a likely casual relationship? Unclear.

If you read a little further it says:
FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem.
Here's my back-of-the envelope calculation.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm (2019 data)
Number of deaths: 2,854,838
Death rate: 869.7 deaths per 100,000 population
Baseline death rate is 8,697 deaths per 1 million population per year.
That equals 24.5 deaths per day.
If you give a shot to 1 million people therefore, you can expect 24 of them to die within 24 hours.
For 380 million shots, multiply 24 by 380 = 9120.

We should expect around 9120 people to have died within a day of being vaccinated, given 380 million shots administered. Given that most of these people are older folks, probably more really. So, 7,653 reports of death seems like less than you would expect, just given random chance if the vaccine isn't causing any deaths.

From this data, the number of deaths actually caused by the vaccine could be as low as zero, given the background mortality rate.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

VAERS allows filtering of the results, or, more properly, setting the parameters of the database query. For example, one could select for onset of the adverse event (in this case, death), if one wanted to know time between vaccine administration and death.

https://i.imgur.com/IvToO16.jpg
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Some interesting vaccine news.

Third shot may be the charm: https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-r ... -than-2nd/

And vaccines lower the spread: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... tudies-say
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Considering the huge spike in cases and deaths In Israel

The “vaccine” is not only worthless in stopping the spread, it’s making things worse
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

From August 20:

The country jumped out ahead of all other countries on vaccines, and 78% of eligible Israelis over 12 years old are vaccinated.

But Israel has a young population, with many under the eligible age for vaccination, and about 1.1 million eligible Israelis, largely between the ages of 12 and 20, have declined to take even one dose of the vaccine.

That means only 58% of Israel's total citizenry is fully vaccinated. Experts say that's not nearly high enough.

"We have a very large fraction of our population who are paying the price for a small fraction of the population who did not go to get the vaccine," said Eran Segal of the Weizmann Institute of Science, who advises the Israeli government on COVID-19.

Unvaccinated people helped fuel the rapid spread of the virus while the country remained open for business in recent months with few serious restrictions.

"That will lead to mass infection, which is exactly what we are seeing now," said Segal.
"Don't inhale."
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Denmark is a far better case study than Israel, with very high vaccination rates and extremely low cases and deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... y/denmark/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Mu over 7 times more resistant to antibodies than first virus strain
The new Mu variant of the novel coronavirus is more than seven times more resistant to antibodies created by vaccinations than the original strain of the virus, a study by a Japanese research team has found.

Despite the increased resistance, “the Mu variant does not make vaccines ineffective, nor does it require new anti-virus measures at the individual level,” said Kei Sato, an associate professor of virology at the University of Tokyo’s Institute of Medical Science (IMS) and a member of the team.

“(But) we found that the variant is the most resistant to antibodies among the previously detected strains of the virus,” he added. “It’s crucial to identify what types of variants are spreading. That will require an expansion of capacity to conduct genome analyses, which can provide detailed genetic information of the virus.”
. . .

The Mu variant was more likely to reduce the effectiveness of antibodies produced from vaccinations than other strains of the virus, the team's results showed. But some of the immunity acquired through inoculations work by different mechanisms from that of antibodies.
Hmm.
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm
robinson

Post by robinson »

The people who beat the US last month aren’t being destroyed by Covid
robinson