Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:Thanks, Abdul. You reminded me to post an update.
https://static.googleusercontent.com/me ... t-0616.pdf

Nothing worth clicking here. Two accidents involving people that like to text.
It will always be the other motorist's fault, right?

Insurance companies have already heard them all.

So good of Google to simulate that aspect of driving so well. :mrgreen:
I don't get you Abdul. Are you trolling me? A car is stopped, at a traffic light, and gets rear-ended. You gotta be trollin'.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The era of self-driving cars arrives sooner than expected?

Well, no, not quite. These still include a human driver as a backup system, and an engineer. So not just one, but two humans, for now:

Uber's self-driving cars debut in Pittsburgh: Take a look inside
PITTSBURGH —You've seen them being tested on the streets for weeks. On Wednesday, Uber's self-driving cars were made available to some customers in Pittsburgh.

The vehicles -- a fleet of Ford Fusions -- are first available to a select group of customers from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Once those customers decide to opt in via email, they have the chance of being paired with an autonomous Uber.

Uber chose Pittsburgh as the first city where it will give customers rides in autonomous vehicles.

"Pittsburgh is an ideal environment for us to be doing this type of work," said Raffi Krikorian, director of the Uber Advanced Technologies Center in the Strip District. "Pittsburgh is an old city, it has an organic road network, it has real traffic problems, it experiences extreme weather."

The cars include a spinning Lidar unit. Lidar is basically radar that uses light from a laser. Within the unit, 64 lasers spin at high frequency, putting out 1.4 million range points per second.

There are 20 cameras, seven lasers and three inertial measurement units on the vehicles.

Video: Self-driving Uber rolls through streets of Pittsburgh

The interior of the self-driving vehicles includes an iPad in the back for riders, showing the Lidar images.

There’s also a rule limiting the number of riders to two and a restriction that won’t allow users to change their destination.

The cars also include a safety driver.

When Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 reporter Beau Berman took a ride in one of the self-driving vehicles, there was an engineer in the passenger seat who monitored all of the data picked up by the 20 cameras and seven lasers outside the vehicle.
When will you be able to hail a truly driverless taxi?
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Just wanna know one thing: Where are all the "Student Driverless Car" signs?
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Since the thread was brought up ...
https://static.googleusercontent.com/me ... t-0816.pdf
Several accidents. It appears, from my conspiratorial view, that they are now being targeted.

Here's what I guess: they pay.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

All the Google vehicle being rear-ended by other drivers though.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Maybe they pay anyway.
Hillary Clinton
Title: Madame President

Post by Hillary Clinton »

Why should individuals own cars? For a sense of "freedom"? A government department can make travel safer and more efficient that unbridled independent auto ownership ever could.

If I am elected I will close the "private auto ownership" loophole and pave the way for your betters to make decisions that will benefit all.

Thank you

eta: I have not driven myself in 40 years. The government takes care of it. If it is good enough for me, it is good enough for you lot.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote:Maybe they pay anyway.
Why would they? I see no reason to and some reasons not to besides just the money, which they could probably afford.
But paying even when you are not at fault is not a precedent I would want to set. Once word gets around you would have people that want to take advantage of that by rear ending them on purpose.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:Maybe they pay anyway.
Why would they? I see no reason to and some reasons not to besides just the money, which they could probably afford.
But paying even when you are not at fault is not a precedent I would want to set.
Me neither. Yet ...
Once word gets around you would have people that want to take advantage of that by rear ending them on purpose.
Here we are. They last thing they want is to be in court. Very bad press.

And they do indeed get rear ended more than what the stats say they should. We talked about that earlier and I think the consensus was they they driver toooo carefully. One could make a case ...

:)
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Cheaper to settle, often.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The one time I rear ended somebody was because we were in a merging lane and he was ahead of me. It was like a Y merge where you have to look back over your left shoulder to check for oncoming traffic. Well I wait for the guy ahead of me to take off and when he does I start rolling forward looking for my chance. Now I start looking back for the oncoming traffic thinking this guy has already merged and isn't stopping. I also see enough space for me to merge if I step on it, so I do, only to turn around and see that the guy I thought had already left was now stopped in front of me. Even though that was technically my fault probably I still blame the other guy for starting and then stopping.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

mine too
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:psst!

Google killed my baby.
:notsure:
Stop. Pretty please. At least until it is an actual claim from someone, anyone. Pretty - fucking - please.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Someone refresh my aging memory: What the fuck is the point of a self driving car again? If people don't want to drive, let them eat cake and take mass transit fer fucksakes.

Goddamn. Our unenlightened self interest eclipses itself.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:When will you be able to hail a truly driverless taxi?
Prediction: Never. OK Maybe on a small scale in some exceedingly wealthy community.
You're kinda hedging there, but with the pace it's advancing, I'll guess by 2020.

Not everywhere of course, but somewhere.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

sparks wrote:Someone refresh my aging memory: What the fuck is the point of a self driving car again? If people don't want to drive, let them eat cake and take mass transit fer fucksakes.

Goddamn. Our unenlightened self interest eclipses itself.
Sparks, first of all, once the technology is past the testing and development phase, all the kinks and bugs ironed out and ready for prime time, it should be a lot safer that human drivers. Fewer accidents, fewer dead people.

That alone is enough reason, but the potential benefits don't necessarily end there. Traffic jams could be eliminated. Rush hour traffic could be a thing of the past. We could save time, money and resources. If all cars were autonomous, efficiency could be maximized.

Consider this recent news:

Driver charged in Taconic crash that killed 4
A driver who veered into oncoming traffic on the Taconic State Parkway in August 2015, killing four people including his own 2-year-old daughter, has been charged with criminally negligent homicide.

The Westchester County District Attorney's Office announced Friday afternoon that Nerim Sinanovic, 34, of the Bronx had been arraigned earlier in the day on a series of charges in the case.

Prosecutors said in a news release that Sinanovic admitted to New York State Police that as he was headed northbound on the parkway in Yorktown at about 2:50 p.m. on Aug. 15, "he took his hands off the steering wheel, turned toward the back seat and steered with his knees."

"This caused the vehicle to veer to the right. The defendant’s wife then grabbed the wheel and the vehicle veered left and continued up and over the dividing center median between the north and southbound lanes," sending his car airborne before it crashed into a Toyota Camry traveling south, the district attorney's office said.

Two of the three family members in the southbound car — Ledell Mulvaney, 61, and her daughter Katherine Mulvaney, 31, of Brooklyn — died within hours; Donald Mulvaney, Ledell's husband and Katherine's father, died a month later at Westchester Medical Center.

The crash also ejected both of Sinanovic's small children from the back seat of his car; his 2-year-old daughter Leona was killed. He, his wife Blerta, and a 1-year-old daughter, Lira, survived. The children had been in car seats, police said.
So. Wouldn't we all be better off without these primates behind the wheel?

As far as mass transit goes, it has its place, but it doesn't cover all transportation needs.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:When will you be able to hail a truly driverless taxi?
Prediction: Never. OK Maybe on a small scale in some exceedingly wealthy community.
You're kinda hedging there, but with the pace it's advancing, I'll guess by 2020.

Not everywhere of course, but somewhere.
Mark Fields, the chief executive of Ford Motor Company, said his company would sell completely self-driving cars by about 2025, after first providing them via ride-hailing service, in 2021.

Such cars would have “no steering wheel, no brake pedal,” he said. “Essentially a driver is not going to be required.”
http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-thin ... sumer-2025

I think they will stage a few by 2021 but it is overly optimistic. I'm going to add 10 years for commonplace for taxis and 20 for consumers. The technology is probably there but the legislation isn't.
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/843f521b51 ... 7d1e_1.jpg
sparks

Post by sparks »

Granted people make mistakes when they're behind the wheel. Lives are lost. As for the rest of it--can't agree. Traffic jams happen because too many people want to be on the road at the same time. Self driving vehicles do not address this at all. Indeed, they address none of the points you brought up Anax, except the one regarding human drivers making mistakes, sometimes lethal ones.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

sparks wrote:Granted people make mistakes when they're behind the wheel. Lives are lost. As for the rest of it--can't agree. Traffic jams happen because too many people want to be on the road at the same time. Self driving vehicles do not address this at all. Indeed, they address none of the points you brought up Anax, except the one regarding human drivers making mistakes, sometimes lethal ones.
Given that accidents are one of the things that cause traffic jams, fewer accidents would mean fewer traffic jams. But it's more than just that:

WATCH: HOW SELF DRIVING CARS COULD END TRAFFIC JAMS

Self driving cars also means we could have fewer cars. If you own a car, 90% of the time it isn't doing anything. Just parked somewhere taking up a parking space. People circling around in cities searching for a place to park is another cause of traffic that could be solved if you are taking a ride-hailing service. No need to park, it just drops you off and goes to pick up the next person.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

From my cold dead hands, Anax . . . my cold dead hands!

--J.D.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Anaxagoras wrote:
sparks wrote:Granted people make mistakes when they're behind the wheel. Lives are lost. As for the rest of it--can't agree. Traffic jams happen because too many people want to be on the road at the same time. Self driving vehicles do not address this at all. Indeed, they address none of the points you brought up Anax, except the one regarding human drivers making mistakes, sometimes lethal ones.
Given that accidents are one of the things that cause traffic jams, fewer accidents would mean fewer traffic jams. But it's more than just that:

Self driving cars also means we could have fewer cars. If you own a car, 90% of the time it isn't doing anything. Just parked somewhere taking up a parking space. People circling around in cities searching for a place to park is another cause of traffic that could be solved if you are taking a ride-hailing service. No need to park, it just drops you off and goes to pick up the next person.
I'm trying to appreciate all that, but in the end, it sounds like really expensive mass transit that only takes 2 or 3 people at a time. But then again, I'm old and resistant to change and nice things.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

I'm trying to appreciate all that, but in the end, it sounds like really expensive mass transit that only takes 2 or 3 people at a time. But then again, I'm old and resistant to change and nice things.
Is it more or less expensive than the mass transit we have now that takes only 1 person to 1 location and fills up a parking space all day?

Not everyone will choose this but enough will to make a difference. My criticisms will wait.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Good point.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote:
sparks wrote: I'm trying to appreciate all that, but in the end, it sounds like really expensive mass transit that only takes 2 or 3 people at a time. But then again, I'm old and resistant to change and nice things.
Is it more or less expensive than the mass transit we have now that takes only 1 person to 1 location and fills up a parking space all day?

Not everyone will choose this but enough will to make a difference. My criticisms will wait.
Yeah, basically the idea is not mass transit like trains or busses but something of a compromise between the convenience of owning your own car, so you can go literally anywhere at any time, and mass transit where you can only go on prescribed routes from prescribed points of pickup to prescribed points of drop-off at prescribed times, which is obviously much less convenient. This would be much more convenient than that sort of mass transit, but still more efficient and less expensive than owning your own car.

Of course, there are some foreseeable problems too. Without a driver there, will passengers just leave their garbage on the floor? Vandalize it? Who will clean them if there is no driver? Will angry taxi drivers mad at being put out of a job sabotage it? These are potential new problems.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't foresee them banning regular cars, and I don't advocate that either. Just more and more people choosing driverless cars as time goes by. Because it's cheaper and easier and safer. Old people set in their ways will be the last to adopt of course.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well, maybe middle-aged people set in their ways will be the last to adopt.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: I think they will stage a few by 2021 but it is overly optimistic. I'm going to add 10 years for commonplace for taxis and 20 for consumers. The technology is probably there but the legislation isn't.
Looks like Federal regulations are on the way:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... -automated

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/us-g ... -vehicles/
On Tuesday, the government will issue federal policy, comprising a four-section package to help facilitate the "responsible" testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. The policy will include a 15-point "Safety Assessment," which the government has asked automakers to sign and submit when an autonomous car is believed to be ready for public roads. The policy covers topics like validation methods, privacy, post-crash behavior and crashworthiness.

It also helps set the foundation for consistent policies on the state level. It provides clear delineation between federal and state responsibilities without forcing the states to all create the same policy. The feds will cover safety standards, compliance, recalls and public education, with states focusing on testing permissions, law and regulation enforcement and licensing.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Read about that on slashdot.

Here's a fun graphic
Spoiler:
https://i.imgur.com/P6YIJPF.jpg
Google contends (and I agree) that the intersection of computer control with human monitoring is fatally flawed. Their reason being by the time a human can assess the failure of an automated system and then correct it, the need is over, the damage is done. It's a little like saying you'll put your seatbeat on if you think you're about to get in a accident.
JEROME DA GNOME

Post by JEROME DA GNOME »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... P_BSOD.png
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

it is a good point fag

It isn't windows but the point remains fag

People crash more than OS's but the point remains fag
JEROME DA GNOME

Rob Lister wrote: People crash more than OS's
Evidences?
JEROME DA GNOME

Breaks don't work because software error, 400,000 cars recalled for bad software which makes the brakes not work.

https://consumerist.com/2010/02/09/toyo ... ty-brakes/
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

JEROME DA GNOME wrote:Breaks don't work because software error, 400,000 cars recalled for bad software which makes the brakes not work.

https://consumerist.com/2010/02/09/toyo ... ty-brakes/
How many people have ADHD?
Approximately 11% of children 4-17 years of age (6.4 million) have been diagnosed with ADHD as of 2011. The percentage of children with an ADHD diagnosis continues to increase, from 7.8% in 2003 to 9.5% in 2007 and to 11.0% in 2011.
46% of Teenagers Admit to Text Messaging While Driving : Driver's Ed ...
http://www.driversedguru.com/driving... ... -messaging...
According to AAA, 46% percent of all teenage drivers admit to text messaging while driving, and that says nothing of the teens who won't own up to the practice. 51% admit to talking on the cell phone while driving, though most of us who know teens would probably estimate that figure to be closer to 99%.
JEROME DA GNOME

Pretty sure ADHD causes less accidents then the brakes not working at 55mph because software error.

Run that out, the total numbers of hours ADHD drivers drive in a year, and the number of accidents per hour driven.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

JEROME DA GNOME wrote:Pretty sure ADHD causes less accidents then the brakes not working at 55mph because software error.
Why are you sure?

DOT says 95% are caused by humans. Not bad brakes.
JEROME DA GNOME

Because the number is so high on the computer shutting off your brakes scenario as to make any subsection of the driving population's accident rate look down right safe.
JEROME DA GNOME

Not saying it can't be done, but it sure as shit is not being done our our current technology set.

Maybe once we have computer programs writing computer programs. This is where the technology needs to be.

Could be a couple of bicycle mechanics strike on the idea, but that is what it will take.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
You know what it will be, Rob. :coolspecs:
I asked you to stop. I think I might have even said 'pretty please'. It adds nothing to the conversation to state that gravity sucks.
JEROME DA GNOME

Researchers hack Tesla Model S with remote attack

The researchers were able to remotely control the braking system, sunroof, door locks, trunk, side-view mirrors and more
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3121999/ ... del-s.html