SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Re: SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:13 pm So now I qualify for the Ohio Vax-A-Million drawing. :hyper:
She's a COVID Millionaire, and Can't Believe It (Newser)

Weird headline. Took me a moment to understand.

22-year-old girl from "suburban Cleveland". She currently live in Cincinnati though. There will be 4 more winners in the coming weeks though, so don't lose hope! :)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

I haven't entered the drawing. I don't agree with it.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Anywho . . .

I don't really agree with it either, in principle. Getting protected from a potentially deadly or debilitating disease is its own reward, and so you shouldn't need to incentivize anyone. Being able to return to a normal lifestyle without worrying about it is another benefit. Protecting your loved ones is another perk.

I wonder if it's even doing what it's intended to do? Like are more people getting vaccinated because of the lottery who wouldn't have done it anyway?
Ohio is actually slightly below the national average for vaccine uptake, so it's not really clear that it's making a significant difference.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

News is that it has resulted in an increase of vaccinations, unless I've read wrong. I guess giving away $5 million is cheaper than paying for advertising and bureaucratic paper shuffling. I dunno.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal ... -dashboard

My main concern is that they're rescinding almost all public health orders and restrictions on June 2. The numbers are about the same as last year at this time, possibly higher. I think it would be prudent to wait until winter and see if there's a surge like last year. If not, then I'd have more confidence that the pandemic is diminishing. Vaccinated people can still contract and transmit the virus. I'll continue to wear a mask in group settings and I'll continue to follow social distancing and hygiene protocols. Ohio is telling citizens to "get back to work". I guess I'm a bit dubious.

Declaring a thing to be true doesn't make it so.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Ah here it is

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal ... e-05-24-21
Governor DeWine announced today that Ohio continues to see increased uptake of the COVID-19 vaccine following the announcement of the Ohio Vax-a-Million promotion.

From May 14 through May 19 as compared to May 7 through May 12, vaccinations in Ohio increased 94 percent among those 16 and 17 years old, 46 percent among those 18 and 19 years old, and 55 percent among those between 20 and 49 years old.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

It does appear to be having a marginal effect. You can see an uptick in the daily graphs in late May compared to early May and late April.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

It’s an amazingly new kind of vaccine that doesn’t give you immunity to the virus

Priceless!
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

That is only true for a very small percentage of vaccinated people.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Prove it
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Witness

Post by Witness »

Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) is not significantly linked to COVID-19 vaccines or non-COVID vaccines in a large multi-state US health system

Abstract

Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) has been reported in a small number of individuals who have received the mRNA vaccines1 or the adenoviral vector vaccines for COVID-19 in the US2 and Europe3. Continued pharmacovigilance is integral to mitigating the risk of rare adverse events that clinical trials are underpowered to detect, however, these anecdotal reports have led to the pause or withdrawal of some vaccines in many jurisdictions and exacerbated vaccine hesitancy at a critical moment in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. We investigated the frequencies of CVST seen among individuals who received FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech (n = 94,818 doses), Moderna (n = 36,350 doses) and Johnson & Johnson - J&J (n = 1,745 doses), and among individuals receiving one of 10 FDA-approved non-COVID-19 vaccines (n = 771,805 doses). Comparing the incidence rates of CVST in 30-day time windows before and after vaccination, we found no statistically significant differences for the COVID-19 vaccines or any other vaccines studied in this population. In total, we observed 3 cases of CVST within the 30 days following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination (2 females, 1 male; Ages (years): [79, 80, 84]), including one individual with a prior history of thrombosis and another individual with recent trauma in the past 30 days. We did not observe any cases of CVST among the patients receiving Moderna or J&J vaccines in this study population. We further found the baseline CVST incidence in the study population between 2017 and 2021 to be 45 to 98 per million patient years. Overall, this real-world evidence-based study highlights that CVST is rare and is not significantly associated with COVID-19 vaccination. In addition, there is a need for a concerted international effort to monitor EHR data across diverse patient populations and to investigate the underlying biological mechanisms leading to these rare clotting events.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21255806v1 with link to the paper.