Sounds Legit

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Sounds Legit

Post by Anaxagoras »

A New Idea to Harness Energy From Black Holes
The study, titled “Magnetic reconnection as a mechanism for energy extraction from rotating black holes,” was conducted by Luca Comisso and Felipe A. Asenjo. In it, they propose a new method whereby energy could be harnessed from a black hole by breaking and rejoining magnetic field lines near its event horizon, the boundary within which nothing can escape a black hole’s gravitational pull (even light).
“We calculated that the process of plasma energization can reach an efficiency of 150 percent, much higher than any power plant operating on Earth. Achieving an efficiency greater than 100 percent is possible because black holes leak energy, which is given away for free to the plasma escaping from the black hole.”

While it might sound like science fiction, it is entirely possible that future generations will look to black holes to meet their energy needs. What’s more, argues Comisso and Asenjo, the process of energy extraction might already be taking place with a number of black holes in the observable Universe. This may be the reason for black hole flares, which are powerful bursts of radiation that can be detected from Earth.
It is entirely possible that future generations will look to black holes to meet their energy needs. Yeah. :roll:

Not really sure what they mean by "150 percent efficiency" either, but whatever. If you can somehow get anywhere near a black hole there should be lots of energy there to harness. But I imagine you'd have to be going really fast, wouldn't you, or you'd just fall into it. And that means time dilation.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Sounds Legit

Post by Doctor X »

Since the nearest black hole is about 1120 light years away. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

I'd invest.
This space for let
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

There are almost certainly closer black holes that we've not detected yet. The small ones are pretty hard to see, after all.

But I think commercial exploitation of them could be quite some time off.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Your Mom does not count!

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image