Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread: study

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread: study

Post by Anaxagoras »

Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread, large-scale study shows
A large, randomized trial led by researchers at Stanford Medicine and Yale University has found that wearing a surgical face mask over the mouth and nose is an effective way to reduce the occurrence of COVID-19 in community settings.

It also showed that relatively low-cost, targeted interventions to promote mask-wearing can significantly increase the use of face coverings in rural, low-income countries. Based on the results, the interventional model is being scaled up to reach tens of millions of people in Southeast Asia and Latin America over the next few months.
Thoughts? Objections? I know some of you are probably skeptical.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread: study

Post by ed »

How? Droplets of virus laden mucus? OK. Is that significant?
ed

Post by ed »

The problem is that we have gotten sloppy intellectually in the era of "what about the children??"

Life entails risk and to live some people will die. We do not mandate 45mph speed limits becasue getting someplace sooner is more important than all those hiway deaths. List goes on and it's tedious to enumerate examples.

Is saving 10 lives worth mmasking the country and having dire penalties for non-compliance? That is the core question.

What would scare me is that if the answer is "yes" what other behaviors would, logically, be controlled.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well, I'm certainly not advocating for "dire penalties" from non-mask-wearing. Although I do think that it would be in the prerogative of private businesses to set policies that they think are appropriate for their customers, and for customers to comply with those policies.

I don't think Japan has any sort of law that mandates the wearing of masks, but everywhere I go here, nearly everyone wears them. Sorta like how in the olden days literally all men wore hats. Was there a law in those days that said you had to wear a hat? I don't think so. But nevertheless, if you were a man in the early 20th century, you probably wore a hat if you went outside. It's kinda like that here now with masks.

BTW, I personally don't like it, and hope to get back to where it's optional as soon as possible.
ed

Post by ed »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:32 pm Well, I'm certainly not advocating for "dire penalties" from non-mask-wearing. Although I do think that it would be in the prerogative of private businesses to set policies that they think are appropriate for their customers, and for customers to comply with those policies.

I don't think Japan has any sort of law that mandates the wearing of masks, but everywhere I go here, nearly everyone wears them. Sorta like how in the olden days literally all men wore hats. Was there a law in those days that said you had to wear a hat? I don't think so. But nevertheless, if you were a man in the early 20th century, you probably wore a hat if you went outside. It's kinda like that here now with masks.

BTW, I personally don't like it, and hope to get back to where it's optional as soon as possible.
I've seen people being tackled by cops. That is pretty dire to me.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I await its actual publication.

– J.D.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Dumb fucks. This fucking pandemic is just gettin' started. News Flash! something that is only marginally considered "life" Is gonna take our overpopulated and monkey asses to school. Oh lawdy lawdy wear a piece of cloth over my plague holes? Hello Mr. Darwin.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Here’s the paper if you want to go over it:

https://www.poverty-action.org/sites/de ... 083121.pdf
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Reading the paper how do they know the masks had any effects since they had numerous other variables such as social distancing. Did the intervention group practice that better, including at home, or better hygiene, et cetera given the repeated reminders?

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:50 pm Reading the paper how do they know the masks had any effects since they had numerous other variables such as social distancing. Did the intervention group practice that better, including at home, or better hygiene, et cetera given the repeated reminders?

– J.D.
Sorry for the late response, but did you notice that the result differed between surgical masks and cloth masks? Only the former appeared to make a statistically significant difference (in seroprevalence). (See p.22 near the bottom to p.23 including Fig. 1)

The results would seem to suggest that cloth masks don't really work, but surgical masks do (to a certain extent; obviously not a panacea).
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yet it did not seem to control for the variables I mentioned.

– J.D.