Re: Microsoft update funnies

Post by robinson »

Windows 10 is the only Windows I have used that has never crashed

Not even once

I sometimes forget I am using Windows
Witness

Post by Witness »

Do you still get the "malicious software removal tool"?

And will you stick with 7 in saecula saeculorum?
gnome

Post by gnome »

After a recent update to Windows, something weird happened to my machine. It started by alternating between a "rapid beep" failure and freezing at the "preparing repair" screen. Specifically, every other boot. After I did some recovery work on it, now it alternates between freezing at the windows logo and successfully booting. Again consistently, every other time.

I am just living with it for now. A buddy of mine who repairs computers freelance suggests the "nuke from orbit" of making backups, doing a wipe install, and starting over. But that's a lot of trouble that I'll probably get to eventually. For now it's just annoying.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Have you tried reinstalling from an ISO while keeping files & installed software? It takes quite some time but is hassle-free. (Of course, as an old hand, you'll back up first.)
gnome

Post by gnome »

I did something that said it was a reinstall that kept files & installed software. That's how I got it from two varieties of nonfunctional to working half the time.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm 2) Windows 7 for the life of this particular computer.
Do you maintain a collection of vintage PCs with their original OSes? :P
Witness

Post by Witness »

gnome wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 am I did something that said it was a reinstall that kept files & installed software. That's how I got it from two varieties of nonfunctional to working half the time.
A kind of progress, isn't it? :P

And the usual mumbo-jumbo with sfc /scannow, dism.exe and starting in safe mode didn't help, I suppose?

If all fails head to Sysnative. They'll have you download a diagnostic tool and will guide you from there. Very helpful people, but don't expect an immediate answer.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Did most of that. Now what is dism.exe though?
Witness

Post by Witness »

gnome wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 am Did most of that. Now what is dism.exe though?
Run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in an admin command prompt.

I do it once a month, preceded by SFC /scannow. (Mostly to avoid possible problems with updates.)
alyssa_in_chainz

Post by alyssa_in_chainz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm
However the update function roused from its eternal slumber to inform me that Microsoft Edge is available and recommended for my system.
What an ass.