The war between wetware and hardware.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

A tactic explained

Post by robinson »

On some forums there is a “watch this user” button that Mods or Admins have

What it does is alert the Mod every time a user posts

In any sub forum

Which seems like a good idea to the idiot Mod who wants to keep an eye on somebody they have decided is trouble

I found this out 24 years ago

So the basic idea is some asshat is following, using the software, they want to make sure you don’t get away with anything, it’s like having a wanna be cop following you around

The tactic? Simple

Just to annoy this unseen watcher, I would post a massive amount, but just once in many different topics, quoting some long post already made, adding a pithy comment of my own

I could tell it worked by the seething anger that seeped out as the Mods in their secret forum had to spend more and more time reading, in essence it flooded them with alerts, but nothing that was violating any rules

I knew full well it was going to mean the ban hammer was coming, with some made up reason to justify it

And that was indeed the case lol

They couldn’t admit the real reason, though once the forum ruler did post the reason was “ he was making too much work for the Mods”, which was exactly the tactic

I don’t miss any of those losers, and pretty much all of them are long gone, extinct or populated by a small group that all think exactly the same, or rather don’t have to think

It was hilarious, but only to one person

heh
robinson

Re: A tactic explained

Post by robinson »

The exact same thing would also happen if a vocal group started responding in a forum rules topic, but that was more of a mob event, but it drives a Mod insane, because they have to read everything

Once again, far too much work involved

The solution then was to lock the topic and forbid any discussion of it

Also hilarious
robinson

Post by robinson »

OK here’s a unique and meaningless one that happened in 1996, or 1997

I was new to it all, my first real forum experience

I noticed that this one jackass, can’t remember the name at all now, but this jackass seemed to be responding to anything I said with venom and an argument (the reason was unknown to me at the time)

So I find a topic where he had posted some stuff and I copied and pasted his own words into the topic, that was it

Just a post from him, on topic, but like I was saying it

And goddamn, here he came, arguing and flaming me

I responded a few more times, all his own words, and he was ready to rumble

HOW DARE YOU! He was angry now

And of course he didn’t know he was arguing against his own post

After a few more people joined the fray, more conflict and venom

I finally posted the links to his own post

Everybody but him found this hilarious

Did it matter? Not at all. He reported me for illegal use of copyrighted material ( his own post)

Goddamn I laughed so hard

I got a warning for it, but who the fuck cares? It was fucking hilarious, and it confirmed what I thought

He was bitter, stalking me and arguing everything just to try and flame me

Hahahahaha

So many good times
robinson

Post by robinson »

Tactic: repost some old post from your nemesis, watch argument happen, post links later and enjoy the day