Colin Kaepernick

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Post by Anaxagoras »

Wasn't working on my home Mac this morning. Kept taking me to a login screen. It works now on a different computer with a different browser.

Anyway, it says the offer he turned down was for the league minimum. That may be the best offer he gets, but probably not. He can afford to wait and see.
Kaepernick allegedly doesn’t want to make “backup money” and specifically instructed his representative team not to sign one contract offered at the league’s minimum rate of $900,000 per year for a seventh-year player.
Like I mentioned above, Jay Cutler, who practically had one foot out the door already, got $10 million. Comparing their stats from last season, purely as a statistical comparison, again Kaepernick would appear to be better. But, people don't like that he wouldn't stand for the national anthem. That seems to be the only thing to explain the difference.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

They both suck.

Colin also happens to be a self-important ignorant pain in the ass.

Teams will take the chubby lazy flat-affected over that.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

https://media.tmz.com/2017/08/08/0808-s ... tter-2.jpg
--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:
--J.D.
FWIW:

Colin Kaepernick supporters demonstrate at NFL offices, call for boycott

But there is silliness on both sides. Apparently a judge in Ohio thinks that military conscription is still a thing, and the athletes who are protesting are "draft dodgers"
More than 1,000 people, many wearing jerseys bearing Kaepernick's name, crowded the steps outside the NFL's midtown Manhattan offices.

Kaepernick, who once took the 49ers to the Super Bowl, opted out of his contract with the team in March and remains unsigned. Supporters say he is being blackballed for his advocacy, but some critics say he should not have sat or kneeled during the anthem or contend his lack of a job is more about his on-field talent.

Chants at the demonstration included "Boycott! Boycott!'
Chanting "Boycott! Boycott!" while wearing jerseys?
Spoiler:
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/rhuJg ... ecace0658e
An official NFL jersey too!
That protest earned the ire of an Ohio Supreme Court justice, the lone Democrat holding an Ohio statewide office. Justice Bill O'Neill wrote on Facebook that he wouldn't attend any games at which "draft dodging millionaire athletes disrespect the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field.''

"Shame on you all,'' he said.
There is no draft to dodge anymore, and I wonder what exactly he means by "the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field"? In the NFL you "earn the right" to be on the field by being good enough to play in the NFL (and not being a criminal). Nobody else can "earn the right" for you, each player has to earn it for himself. So that doesn't really make sense. Of course we should be thankful to veterans, but it's not like we owe every damn thing to them.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Wow.

Thanks, I did not add to the FAIL of this because I was not sure how many were interested. Pats Fandom is upset that:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... tnrbxx.mp4

just got an extension. As he proceeds to fuck up another investigation.

Every so often, an angry Pats fan would declare he would "BOYCOTT" the NFL and all of that stupidity. Talking Heads would call him the idiot he is.

What is deliciously ironic about this is it is happening where?
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]

Yes, in Atlanta. Where they are opening a New Stadium! :hyper: After a collapse so great MFYs fans feel sympathetic. Butt-Hurt [Him.--Ed.] Patriots fans over The Super Bowl We Do Not Mention are all "Wow. Damn!"
As Dennis Leary said about cigarettes, so, too, NFL: "We're ADDICTED!!!"

Like anyone is going to turn-off an NFL game and watch something, like, a Bad Classic Trek marathon instead.

What?

--J. "I Am KIRACK!" D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Doctor X wrote:
--J.D.
FWIW:

Colin Kaepernick supporters demonstrate at NFL offices, call for boycott

But there is silliness on both sides. Apparently a judge in Ohio thinks that military conscription is still a thing, and the athletes who are protesting are "draft dodgers"
More than 1,000 people, many wearing jerseys bearing Kaepernick's name, crowded the steps outside the NFL's midtown Manhattan offices.

Kaepernick, who once took the 49ers to the Super Bowl, opted out of his contract with the team in March and remains unsigned. Supporters say he is being blackballed for his advocacy, but some critics say he should not have sat or kneeled during the anthem or contend his lack of a job is more about his on-field talent.

Chants at the demonstration included "Boycott! Boycott!'
Chanting "Boycott! Boycott!" while wearing jerseys?
Spoiler:
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/rhuJg ... ecace0658e
An official NFL jersey too!
That protest earned the ire of an Ohio Supreme Court justice, the lone Democrat holding an Ohio statewide office. Justice Bill O'Neill wrote on Facebook that he wouldn't attend any games at which "draft dodging millionaire athletes disrespect the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field.''

"Shame on you all,'' he said.
There is no draft to dodge anymore, and I wonder what exactly he means by "the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field"? In the NFL you "earn the right" to be on the field by being good enough to play in the NFL (and not being a criminal). Nobody else can "earn the right" for you, each player has to earn it for himself. So that doesn't really make sense. Of course we should be thankful to veterans, but it's not like we owe every damn thing to them.
There's a war on. Everything is about the troops.

None of the "take a knee" protests would be outraging anyone except someone else on the actual teams if the media didn't play it up.

But, it's a "good draw" and the rubes go nuts for it so...$$$$$
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

I have not followed this and I don't give a rats ass for overpaid steroid junkies but I would like to observe that standing during any national anthem is simply good manners.

When these elite fuckers "protest" the same way in Iran or some other shithole where there might actually be a risk to their manicure, I'll start taking them seriously.
gnome

Post by gnome »

I'd just say, why don't we fire the ones with more serious offenses than rudeness, before we get in a twist about Mr. Kaepernick?
ed

Post by ed »

gnome wrote:I'd just say, why don't we fire the ones with more serious offenses than rudeness, before we get in a twist about Mr. Kaepernick?
Fire them all. They are a waste of oxygen. Let them get a real job, like something that relys on their college education.
:doglaugh:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

:roll:

Gee, what a terrible "sacrifice." I wonder how much Nike is paying him? Something in the millions? :roll:

Of course, it's a free country and if Nike thinks that this is what will sell sneakers, they are welcome to spend their advertising dollars as they see fit . . .
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He was always a willfully ignorant overrated.

Still:
Republicans buy shoes too.

--Michael Jordan
--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 am He was always a willfully ignorant overrated.

Still:
Republicans buy shoes too.

--Michael Jordan
--J.D.
And the irony is that Michael Jordan was probably Nike's most important athlete/celebrity/endorser for years, perhaps decades.

I'm sure their bean counters must have done the math on this though. Perhaps their actual customer base skews liberal.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meh.

If he does not sell, they will dump him. Move on to the next Flavor of the Month.

These guys grab at and dump sports starts every week.

Just keep remembering him loving the homicidal Cunt Castro and wearing "pig" socks.

On the other side is a bunch of degenerate "lucky sperm" owners who have collectively done worse than Kaepernick could ever hope to achieve in his most wettest of dreams, led by one of the luckiest of sperms who, despite failing miserably, is paid more than Gram's Mom sucks--see what I did there? I am clever!-- any of us will collectively see in a thousand years . . . to . . . fail.

Opposing them?

People whose careers last 3-5 years and have yet to grasp the concept of multiplication.

So even in this case the owners have screwed it up so severely, I am almost rooting for this ignorant fool to beat them.

--J.D.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

https://www.newsweek.com/nikes-colin-ka ... on-1104855
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

xouper wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 pm https://www.newsweek.com/nikes-colin-ka ... on-1104855
I basically agree with Shapiro on this one. I think he clarifies the marketing logic too:
But this whole charade is a profit grab. That’s fine, but let’s recognize it for what it is. Nike is a corporation. This is free publicity, and the company can virtually guarantee that the president of the United States will sound off about the controversy, generating a pro-Nike backlash. What’s more, Nike’s marketing department is catering to a particular audience: black Americans are far more likely than non-black Americans to support Kaepernick (69 percent of black Americans said protests during the national anthem were appropriate, as opposed to 58 percent of white Americans who say such protests are always inappropriate); black Americans spend, on average, more money than white Americans on clothing and apparel; black Americans are far more likely to demand that the brands they support back social causes, and they’re also far more likely to interact with brands on social media, according to Nielsen.

And backlash? Nike’s counting on it. They understand that boycotts are generally overstated and small, that President Donald Trump is wildly unpopular, and that Trump jumping into this fray would merely allow them to pose as socially conscious political actors, even as they weather charges of labor exploitation in impoverished countries.

Capitalism always wins. Even politics can be turned into a commodity—especially politics. People love to signal their supposed virtue to others. There’s a reason that those on the Left buy Priuses rather than similarly environmentally-friendly vehicles that don’t look like bizarre bubbles: you can’t show your friends you care about the environment when you’re driving a car that doesn’t obviously show off your bona fides. Nike is hoping for a similar effect.
So far, Trump's reaction has been sort of low key. He said something about it in an interview with The Daily Caller, calling it a "terrible message", so that's a sort of "backlash", but he hasn't tweeted about it yet as far as I can tell from a quick glance at his Twitter feed. Perhaps he recognized the bait for what it was and decided not to take it?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Indeed.

Nike hopes they will become the "symbol of resistance," purchased by idiots who should be resisting corporate greed like Nike's.

Meanwhile, Kaepernick has been suffering from his 30 million + this new contract. I agree with Jason Witlock: he is as much of a "hero" as Bruce Jenner.

--J.D.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Great, now I have to worry about what shoes to wear because the company might have a social justice campaign
xouper

Post by xouper »

xouper

Post by xouper »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnXG-RVHnB_ ... e=ig_embed
xouper

Post by xouper »

This just in (from Wednesday evening) another point of view, from a business person:

Tucker Carlson Kaepernick's "Sacrifice" Nike Commercial To Run During NFL Opener (3:36)

Tucker Carlson: "Was that smart, Dave?"

Dave Portnoy: "By Nike? I do. I think it will pay off."

Later . . .

Tucker Carlson: "How are you [Nike] helping the cause of civil rights?"

Dave Portnoy: "I don't think they [Nike] care about civil rights. I think they care about selling shoes. . . . This is a business decision."

Portnoy makes a good argument from a business and demographics perspective. Apparently Tucker Carlson did not see that one coming.

Disclaimer: This latest PR move by Nike has not altered my shoe buying preferences nor my investment strategy, so clearly, I am not Nike's target market and thus my opinion does not matter.

:Popcorn:
xouper

Post by xouper »

https://morningconsult.com/form/nike-kaepernick-report/

https://morningconsult.com/wp-content/u ... Fave-1.png
RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:31 am

I basically agree with Shapiro on this one. I think he clarifies the marketing logic too:

He's wrong that it specifically needs a backlash from Trump. There is enough of a backlash by Trump fanboys to amount to the same thing.

The argument that this being a cynical marketing ploy by Nike somehow makes it politically less relevant is nonsense. It arguably makes it even more relevant, given that a huge corporation has decided that it is profitable to openly antagonize populist conservatives.This is less about increasing immediate sales and more about being on the right side of history, so that in 2028 Nike can point back and say they spoke out in favor of the good guys. That can be tremendous brand goodwill.
gnome

Post by gnome »

A lot of the left leaning side of my social group isn't impressed with Nike's move here.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm Nike uses child slave labor, and Kaepernick is OK with that if the price is right.

Because child slave lives do not matter.
Are you quite sure that the shoes you wear were made more ethically?

Or your shirts, or pants or other clothes?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm Nike uses child slave labor, and Kaepernick is OK with that if the price is right.

Because child slave lives do not matter.
Are you quite sure that the shoes you wear were made more ethically?

Or your shirts, or pants or other clothes?
Abdul is not out there protesting injustices while being a hypocrite as far as I am aware.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You need tiny hands for the tiny stitching.

What?

--J.D.
ed

Post by ed »

RCC: Act II wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:58 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:31 am

He's wrong that it specifically needs a backlash from Trump. There is enough of a backlash by Trump fanboys to amount to the same thing.

The argument that this being a cynical marketing ploy by Nike somehow makes it politically less relevant is nonsense. It arguably makes it even more relevant, given that a huge corporation has decided that it is profitable to openly antagonize populist conservatives.This is less about increasing immediate sales and more about being on the right side of history, so that in 2028 Nike can point back and say they spoke out in favor of the good guys. That can be tremendous brand goodwill.
Assumes facts not in evidence.
WildCat

Post by WildCat »

Grammatron wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm Abdul is not out there protesting injustices while being a hypocrite as far as I am aware.
To be fair, Kaepernick has never said what it is he is protesting.

eta: he could be protesting age of consent laws for all we know.
WildCat

Post by WildCat »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:07 pm I thought it was police brutality, with some sort of organizational tie in to BLM.
Link?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

WildCat wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:07 pm I thought it was police brutality, with some sort of organizational tie in to BLM.
Link?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nal-anthem
xouper

Post by xouper »

RCC: Act II wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:58 pm The argument that this being a cynical marketing ploy by Nike somehow makes it politically less relevant is nonsense. It arguably makes it even more relevant, given that a huge corporation has decided that it is profitable to openly antagonize populist conservatives.This is less about increasing immediate sales and more about being on the right side of history, so that in 2028 Nike can point back and say they spoke out in favor of the good guys. That can be tremendous brand goodwill.
And you know all this how??

Secondly . . . Sorry, but Kaepernick is not one of the "good guys".

He deliberately chose to show disrespect for the country in order to make a highly controversial political statement of dubious merit, and did it not on his own time but as a publicly visible representative of his company while on company time.

That is not the definition of a good guy.
WildCat

Post by WildCat »

xouper wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm
RCC: Act II wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:58 pm The argument that this being a cynical marketing ploy by Nike somehow makes it politically less relevant is nonsense. It arguably makes it even more relevant, given that a huge corporation has decided that it is profitable to openly antagonize populist conservatives.This is less about increasing immediate sales and more about being on the right side of history, so that in 2028 Nike can point back and say they spoke out in favor of the good guys. That can be tremendous brand goodwill.
And you know all this how??

Secondly . . . Sorry, but Kaepernick is not one of the "good guys".

He deliberately chose to show disrespect for the country in order to make a highly controversial political statement of dubious merit, and did it not on his own time but as a publicly visible representative of his company while on company time.

That is not the definition of a good guy.
He also thinks Fidel Castro is a hero. Once you support totalitarian dictators you lose all moral high ground. Obviously RCC has no issues with supporting an ideology that has killed at least 150 million people, because surely they'll get it right next time.

But as a rational person I hold the same contempt for Communists as I do for Nazis.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:37 pm OK I won't say he's a "good guy" but ...
xouper wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm ... did it not on his own time but as a publicly visible representative of his company while on company time.
It would have been pointless unsensational otherwise.
Fixed it for ya.

There are plenty of ways to bring attention to a social injustice without deliberately disrespecting the country and the people who sacrificed all for it. It seems to me that by sitting or kneeling, Kaepernick hurt his cause more than help it and has damaged the NFL in the process.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 pm You didn't "fix" it, but you did explain why it would be pointless where I merely asserted it.
Are you arguing that social justice protests that do not directly disrespect the country are pointless?

Are you arguing, for example, that MLK Jr did it wrong and that he should have dissed the flag as part of his message?
xouper

Post by xouper »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49 pm
Are you arguing that social justice protests ...
Either you are mighty naive about the ways of a publicity hound, or pretending to be for rhetorical effect.
It seems I am not getting your point, which is why I asked for clarification. Rather than criticize me for what I do not know, it would be more helpful if you would just explain your point in more detail. Thanks.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Did anyone notice that Colin did not do this before he was demoted to a back-up?

Then later claimed he would stop if someone gave him a starting job rather than a back-up?

Curious.

--J.D.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:59 am The deal with Nike (or something very like it) is the point.

He makes more money than many an NFL player.
Still need further clarification of your point. Are you saying that from the very beginning, Kaepernick's primary motive for kneeling was to get more money from Nike?

xouper wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:37 pm OK I won't say he's a "good guy" but ...
xouper wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm ... did it not on his own time but as a publicly visible representative of his company while on company time.
It would have been pointless unsensational otherwise.
Fixed it for ya.

There are plenty of ways to bring attention to a social injustice without deliberately disrespecting the country and the people who sacrificed all for it. It seems to me that by sitting or kneeling, Kaepernick hurt his cause more than help it and has damaged the NFL in the process.
He just wants to make America great again. When you do that, you imply that it at present is not great. Which is a level of disrespect. Funny as to who gets a pass when insulting this country.

Bringing attention to social injustice by definition means getting people to hear a message they don't want to hear. That is always going to be disruptive to some degree, and those against social justice are forever going to criticize any sort of disruption to the social order while convincing themselves that it is the method and not the message they are criticizing. As if they would be more likely to hear the message were it mumbled into an empty closet in an abandoned house.

WildCat wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Obviously RCC has no issues with supporting an ideology that has killed at least 150 million people, because surely they'll get it right next time.

So we are up to "at least 150 million" now?

Even the Black Book had it at 94m, and some of the authors of that were critical of that number as being way too high and the result of one author's obsession with getting the number to 100m.

You know why you don't keep hearing how many people capitalism has killed?

1) It's a stupid idea to put causation of a death on a broadly defined political/economic viewpoint.

2) The number would be so stupid high as to boggle the mind. By the methods of the Black Book, we can account for 100m+ dead just among Africans during colonial times. Slave trade, resource extraction, etc.

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:55 pm
Bringing attention to social injustice ...
It's just business.

He loses nothing. He gets $3,000,000.

If that also somehow does good in the world to degree that offsets encouraging child slavery, well then good.

But it doesn't make the black kids who buy more Nikes any safer around the cops.
So? International labor practices are a totally different issue. I'm not building a shrine to Nike anytime soon.

The point remains that those who do not want to hear the message aren't going to address the message. Rather the method of delivery (too disruptive, etc), and the nature of the person making the delivery. That he's getting paid, has an ulterior motive, was raised by white parents, etc. It's all avoidance by people who know they are wrong and looking for a way to sleep at night.