Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 pm ↑ Haven't the owners paid the baksheesh? :BigGrin3:

Yeah, I don't know.

I heard from a foreign friend yesterday that the owner of one of our favorite small bars said she was making more money on government Wuhan-Corona subsidies than she was running the bar.

Did he understand her Japanese correctly?

Was she just joking?

If not, I don't know how that's possibly sustainable given Japan's debt situation.

I'll ask her the next time I have a chance.

But maybe all is not as it appears.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:44 pm But maybe all is not as it appears.
Perhaps she gets more than what she told the IRS? :twisted:
shuize

Post by shuize »

Well, they've already lost a Ugandan athlete.

He didn't die. They just can't find him.*

Ugandan Weight Lifter Missing in Japan Amid Olympic Lockdown

Apparently he's loose somewhere in my neck of the woods.

I guess if Wuhan-Corona gets worse, we'll know who to blame.

* You'd think he might stand out. (Ha! Ha!)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/worl ... mpics.html
shuize

Post by shuize »

Well, the Olympics are really starting off swimmingly.

In addition to losing the Ugandan, I just saw a Japanese news report that an Uzbekistani Olympic staff member was arrested today for allegedly raping a (presumably Japanese) woman in the stands after the opening rehearsal.

It was apparently caught on camera and the suspect is reportedly denying the charges on the grounds "She didn't resist."

[Excuse me while I put on my old defense attorney hat to say something wise]: "Hey, man, good luck with that."

Spoiler:

Oh, and this:

4 Tokyo Olympic staff from US, Britain arrested over alleged cocaine use

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/035000c
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

shuize wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 am
[Excuse me while I put on my old defense attorney hat to say something wise]: "Hey, man, good luck with that."
You might find this amusing, or not.

My company attorney got to hear some of my "better" ideas for business development and other notions. Often as not, after I excitedly finish my plot and awaited his replay, he would grumble a bit then say "wear stripes".
solely

Post by solely »

The Japanese need to learn that other countries have different customs.
shuize

Post by shuize »

solely wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:11 pm The Japanese need to learn that other countries have different customs.

Yes, and in the name of international understanding, I suspect our Uzbek friend is going to have time to learn a few things about Japanese customs as well.

Actually, this case reminded me of a news program -- maybe "60 Minutes" -- I saw many years ago.

Some Americans were arrested for something in Thailand. Lucky for them, it wasn't a death penalty case. But it was serious and when the American news reporter asked the U.S. State Department guy what was going to happen, the State Department guy answered, "Their Thai is going to get much better." (Ha! Ha!)
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah.

Recall the Little Shit who vandalized cars in Singapore, I think, who learned that the punishment was canning? After "International Outrage," they agreed to reduce it from like 20 to 15 strikes.

As the State Department will tell you, they can only protest if the punishment for Americans is different as in more severe than they met out to their own citizens. If the Turks hang up their own citizens by their balls, to paraphrase the explanation, the American better get us to it.

– J.D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Tokyo 2020 chief Muto doesn't rule out 11th-hour cancellation of Olympic Games
  • Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and liaise with other organizers if necessary.
  • Covid-19 cases are rising in Tokyo and the Games, postponed last year because of the pandemic, will be held without spectators.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/tokyo-2 ... games.html

As I learned in the army: order, counter-order, disorder… :mrgreen:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Seems far-fetched that they would cancel it now, at the 11th hour. That infections would be on the rise again right about now is something I saw coming months ago. That had to be factored into the decision they made at the time to go ahead with them. The last plausible off-ramp has already been passed. (If memory serves, the government said that a final decision as to whether to go ahead with the Olympics or not would be made in May. Hell, some events have already started.)
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

No matter how many cases (or deaths) result from the Olympics, they will not be cancelled. It's cute that some people still think Japan has a say in anything.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Good news!

They found the Ugandan.

I thought he would have trouble blending in -- if you know what I mean -- but apparently there are more Ugandans in Japan than I realized.

Nagoya is the prefectural capital of Aichi, where about 150 Ugandan people — the second-largest Ugandan community in Japan — were living as of late last year, according to government data.

Taking a tip from the man, Ssekitoleko was visiting Yokkaichi about 40 kilometers to the south of Nagoya, and found by a police officer, the police said, adding he showed no signs of resistance.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... ics-found/
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/CqOp7P3.jpg

With a fish inside.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 am
Spoiler:
https://i.imgur.com/CqOp7P3.jpg
With a fish inside.

A flying fish.*

And kelp.

Also, the English on Japanese vending machines is getting better.

* Something I did not know. Apparently flying fish are only called 「あご」("ago") in Kyushu and on the Sea of Japan side. At least, that's what Japanese Wiki says. Japan is not that big, but there are lots of regional variations.
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/Ewln1Hd.jpg

Cat shrine.
shuize

Post by shuize »

The ones I can read are prayers for their cats to live long and healthy lives.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Just for the title: Olympics-Officials confident they can keep swimmers clear of sewage

:mrgreen:
shuize

Post by shuize »

Well, here's something you don't see every day.

"Japanese police sergeant arrested."

He's accused of knocking down and injuring a woman outside a train station.

He was also involved in that "Don Juan" (rich old man, much younger wife) poisoning case mentioned above.

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/video/news/%E ... d=msedgntp
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"Anti-sex beds" in the Olympics athlete's village? Maybe not:

Video of Israeli athletes breaking cardboard Olympic village bed goes viral
A video of nine Israeli Olympians jumping on the so-called anti-sex bed in the athletes' village until it breaks has gone viral, Israeli local media reported.

According to reports, the now-deleted video in which the athletes test the strength of the recyclable cardboard bed frame was uploaded by Ben Wanger, a U.S.-born baseball player on the Israeli Olympic team, to his TikTok and Twitter accounts on Monday.

In the video, one, then two, then three, up to a total of nine athletes jump on a single bed until it breaks. The beds were designed to support weights of up to 200 kilograms, according to manufacturer Airweave.

The video has since been deleted but has drawn angry responses in Japan. According to local reports, it was removed at the request of the Israeli Olympic Committee.

"It's not funny at all. As a Japanese, it makes me very sad," said one internet comment.

"I don't understand why anyone would destroy something belonging to someone else," another said.

Many other athletes have taken to social media sites to share their opinions on the now infamous bed.

American distance runner Paul Chelimo wrote on Twitter on July 17 that the beds were "aimed at preventing intimacy among athletes." Chelimo, among others, dubbed them anti-sex beds.

The following day, Irish gymnast Rhys McClenaghan debunked the rumor that the beds easily break by filming himself doing a test jump on the bed on Twitter.

"In today's episode of fake news at the Olympic Games, the beds are meant to be anti-sex. They're made of cardboard, yes. But they are apparently intended to break under sudden movements. It's fake news," McClenahan says in the video that has been viewed more than 3.8 million times.
I can think of other reasons though. The athlete's village is only meant to be used for a couple of weeks during the Olympics, and then those rooms are supposed to be repurposed as condominiums. Some people have have already bought the units. (And they had to wait an extra year to take delivery because the Olympics was delayed for a year: Buyers of Olympic village condos left out in the cold after delayed Games)

As such, temporary beds that would only be intended to be used for a couple of weeks and then recycled make sense. No need to assume that it was for "anti-sex" reasons. Although, I have heard that too. For example, they decided to not distribute free condoms to the athletes, which was done at previous Olympics.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I didn't know about the buyers of condos. Good plan by Japan to reuse facilities. Sucks that people had to endure all this waiting.
solely

Post by solely »

Those Japanese are always thinking, we should keep a close eye on them.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan successfully tests rocket engine propelled by new technology

Japan on Tuesday successfully tested a rocket engine that was propelled by new technology using shock waves produced by burning a mixture of methane and oxygen gases, with the aim of applying the propulsion method to deep space exploration in the future, the country’s space agency said.

The No. 31 vehicle of the S-520 sounding rocket series, measuring 8 meters in length and 52 centimeters in diameter and carrying the engine, lifted off from the Uchinoura Space Center in Kagoshima Prefecture at around 5:30 a.m., according to the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency.

It reached an altitude of 235 kilometers four minutes and four seconds after the launch and landed in the sea southeast of Uchinoura about eight minutes later, with JAXA retrieving a capsule containing test data in nearby waters.

JAXA is currently developing technology that will allow it to utilize a rocket engine just one-10th of the current size that can also stay in space for extended periods.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... gine-test/ (meh video at the link)
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

I'm pretty sure the germans were using a pulsejet engine in 1941
shuize

Post by shuize »

So the guy engaged to the Japanese princess has said he plans to stay in the United States for employment after the New York bar exam.

I still wonder if he went to the States as a way to ease out of the engagement.

I'd be surprised if her family is onboard with their princess (ex- princess after the marriage) living among the barbarians.

小室圭さん、米国での就職意向 司法試験結果は12月に

Translation of the Japanese headline:

Kei Komuro Intends to Work in the U.S. Bar Exam Results Due in December

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
Witness

Post by Witness »

U.S. urges Japan to shoulder more of costs for hosting American troops

The United States has urged Japan to shoulder more for hosting American troops during preparatory talks on a fresh cost-sharing agreement from fiscal 2022 and onward, according to diplomatic sources.

The two allies will launch full-fledged, working-level talks in early August in the United States to conclude the multiyear agreement as Tokyo seeks to convince Washington it cannot greatly increase its burden due to strained finances, the sources said Wednesday.

The United States is urging Japan to increase its burden as it seeks to raise the presence of the U.S. military in the Indo-Pacific region in the face of China’s military expansion, according to the sources.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... ops-cost//
shuize

Post by shuize »

So Wuhan-Corona is really starting to take off here in Japan.

The government and news "media" are now calling on the peasants to stay home during the biggest travel holiday of the year.

Travel and quarantine restrictions mean this will be the second year in a row I've missed visiting my aging relatives in the States.

But holding the Olympics is fine because reasons.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Because nothing can defeat the Empire of Japan, 馬鹿!

– J.D.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Except a couple of nuclear devices. Too soon?
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Ironically, today is the 76th anniversary of the nuking of Hiroshima.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

sparks wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm Ironically, today is the 76th anniversary of the nuking of Hiroshima.
And the Japanese government at the time thought "meh."

Kind of extraordinary when you think about it.

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japan immigration admits to mistreatment of Sri Lankan before death
Japan's immigration agency said Tuesday a probe has found that an immigration center in central Japan mistreated a detained Sri Lankan woman who died in March, and it has reprimanded the facility's top officials and supervisors.

The Immigration Services Agency of Japan's final report on developments leading to the death of Ratnayake Liyanage Wishma Sandamali, 33, said the Nagoya Regional Immigration Services Bureau in Aichi Prefecture failed to provide appropriate medical care for her, though the probe could not determine the cause of her death.

Justice Minister Yoko Kamikawa apologized for the Nagoya facility's treatment of Wishma that resulted in her death and pledged to reform the country's immigration services.

"It's impossible to imagine how lonely, anxious and hopeless she must have felt as her health deteriorated," Kamikawa told a press conference.

Shoko Sasaki, head of the Immigration Services Agency of Japan, told a separate press conference, "The Nagoya bureau at that time lacked awareness of its responsibility to ensure the safety of people and respectfully engage with them."

The agency reprimanded the bureau's director and then deputy director as well as two supervisors overseeing the monitoring of detainees.

"We will take the issues raised (in the report) seriously and do our best to prevent any recurrences," the Nagoya bureau said in a statement.

The agency had set up an investigation team and heard from third-party experts including medical professionals in examining the case of Wishma, who came to Japan in 2017 on a student visa and was taken to the facility in Nagoya in August 2020 after overstaying her visa.

She died on March 6 while in custody after complaining of stomach pain and other symptoms from mid-January. She had applied for, but was refused, provisional release for hospital treatment.

Medical personnel were not available on Saturdays, the day that she died, and staff at the facility did not make an emergency call, according to the report.

The probe has also found Wishma's pleas for medical treatment and an examination by an outside doctor were never reported to managing staff, violating the facility's own rule.

It pointed out that omitting to report such detainee requests for medical treatment was commonplace at immigration facilities, a practice that needs to be rectified.

One immigration officer allegedly mocked Wishma after seeing liquid come out of her nose after she was unable to swallow a drink, while others thought her complaints were exaggerated in order to secure the approval of her temporary release request, according to the probe report.

Following the release of the report, Wishma's younger sister Wayomi, 28, said in a Tokyo press conference that she cannot understand why the immigration authorities denied provisional release for hospital treatment despite Wishma's deteriorating health.

She described the treatment of Wishma at the immigration center as "bullying" and criticized staff at the facility for their misconduct. The sister also expressed dissatisfaction with the report's failure to clarify the cause of Wishma's death.

As Wishma's family, supporters and opposition lawmakers have been demanding the disclosure of the security camera footage of her final days, the immigration agency is set to release it to her family on Thursday, Shoichi Ibusuki, a lawyer for the family, said at the press conference.

Ibusuki said the agency will show only selected parts of the footage exclusively to the family. He added that he has requested the agency release the whole footage which covers nearly two weeks of her life at the immigration center, and to allow a lawyer to attend.
I suppose it's good that at least the government has now admitted to its mistreatment. Seems like more than a reprimand is in order though.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:07 am
sparks wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm Ironically, today is the 76th anniversary of the nuking of Hiroshima.
And the Japanese government at the time thought "meh."

Kind of extraordinary when you think about it.

– J.D.
What always got me was that they had to drop a second bomb.

. . . and even then, the military side did not want to surrender.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 pmWhat always got me was that they had to drop a second bomb.

They may have had to have dropped a third. Not to tangent this into a discussion on the point, but I have lost all respect for the view that the bombs were "unnecessary" or "gratuitous." There were between 100,000-250,000 civilian loses per month in China, Korea, and ramping up in Japan. As most concede, far more lives were lost in the incendiary bombing of Tōkyō. We have not even brought in the coming famine in Japan.

So "waiting a few months," leaving aside the "problem" of the Soviets invading the north of Japan, would have resulted in perhaps another million civilians lost without counting what would be lost with what would have been continued bombing of the cities.

Then comes the invasion.

Which, to paraphrase The Captain, is the way Hirohito and the military wanted it. I think what really convinced enough of the "peace side" and Hirohito is the looming fact that the US would not be deterred by "The Awesome Super Casualty Creating Blow [of Doom. – Ed.]" that the military and Hirohito kept hoping for. This included the psychopath Adm. Oishi, I believe, who advocated only about 20 million or so civilians acting as suicide attacks on the landing American forces for "sure victory."

This led to the True Fear[™ – Ed.] that rather than go along with the "Glorious Sacrifice of Everyone Not Named Hirohito," enough of the starving populace would simply overthrow the government and bring in the Communists who, apparently, had not been all executed and starved to death.

I think they were hiding in Goya.

I digress.

So when "Mr. Jimmy" the Secretary of State responded to the Japanese "offer" of surrender that claimed it would not indicate any restrictions on the "prerogative" of Hirohito with the simple clarification that they would be under control of the Supreme Commander, the Japanese could interpret this as the US would not simply march in, depose and execute Hirohito, and force everyone to like Jimmy Stewart movies. Hirohito, himself, claimed he would insist on fighting on if surrender meant his butt would be kicked.

Of the many great "what ifs" is what if Anami did not drown his sorrows in his sake and supported the coup that occurred? What if enough supported them and they prevented the broadcast of the recording of the surrender? More to point, what if he chose to resign and topple the government? For this reason the Japanese portray Anami as some sort of hero – hell Mifune gets to play him – but he really seemed to have lost his grip a bit in the end. Even when arguing about the language of the Imperial "Yeah, Stop, Like, Vaporizing Us" Rescript, he believed in rumors of reports that a Huge Ass 'Merican Fleet was, like, just off the coast and if, like, they attacked it, the US would sue for the better terms they never would accept:
  • 1. No occupation.
    2. The Japanese will disarm their own men.
    3. The Japanese will investigate and try their own "war criminals."
    4. The Emperor still gets his ass kissed.
Fortunately, I did not tangent this. . . .

– J.D.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 pmWhat always got me was that they had to drop a second bomb.

They may have had to have dropped a third. Not to tangent this into a discussion on the point, but I have lost all respect for the view that the bombs were "unnecessary" or "gratuitous." There were between 100,000-250,000 civilian loses per month in China, Korea, and ramping up in Japan. As most concede, far more lives were lost in the incendiary bombing of Tōkyō. We have not even brought in the coming famine in Japan...

Agreed.

I don't waste my time engaging historical revisionists very often these days.

But the following is a representative sample of past conversations with the "unnecessary and gratuitous" crowd.

Me: "How do you think the war would have ended otherwise?"

Dum-Dum #1: "Peace negotiations!"

Dum-Dum #2: "Blockade!"

Dum-Dums #3, #4, #5, etc.: "Atomic bombs bad! Peace good!"

Me: "Yeah, no shit, morons."

Me: "How many civilians were dying a month by 1945?"

Dum-Dums: [No fucking idea]

Me: "How many civilians were killed in the firebombing of Japanese cities?"

Dum-Dums: "Firebombing bad!"

Me: "Starvation good?"

Dum-Dums: "Starvation bad!"

Me: "Blockade good?"

Dum-Dums: "Blockade bad!"

Me: "Ever hear about the attempted coup to block the emperor's surrender message?"

Me: "Unit 731?"

Me: "Rape of Nanking?"

Me: "Comfort women?"

Me: "Forced civilian 'suicides' on Okinawa?"

Etc.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Exactly.

I think I mentioned the author of the phenomenal Downfall. He gave a lecture some time ago that was sort of a debate on the subject. His opponent really did not have an answer to the points we raised. In the audience was one of the famous Hiroshima survivors. His response to her was a fantastic exercise in diplomacy. He reminded her of the Chinese and Korean civilian casualties and, while regretting asking the question about comparing civilian deaths, asked it because it had to be asked. Does anyone really want to argue that it would have been "better" for far more Chinese and Korean civilians, let alone Japanese civilians, American and other Allied servicemen, to have died?

But partisans and virtue signalers never want to consider such facts.

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I could not find a link to that lecture, but here is his more recent MacArthur lecture. He opens with the numbers involved:

sobering.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 am

They may have had to have dropped a third. Not to tangent this into a discussion on the point, but I have lost all respect for the view that the bombs were "unnecessary" or "gratuitous." There were between 100,000-250,000 civilian loses per month in China, Korea, and ramping up in Japan. As most concede, far more lives were lost in the incendiary bombing of Tōkyō. We have not even brought in the coming famine in Japan.
There could be an argument on the second bomb, but from reading about the military opinions at the time, I tend to agree.

Look at Taniwa [ed: typo -- Tariwa (thanks DJ)], the first island taken by amphibious assault in the war. From memory, the Japanese had 43,000 personnel on the island. Prisoners taken: 17. All the rest refused to surrender, including taking grenades and pretending to be dead or wounded just to take a medico with them when they died.

And that was not in their crucial defense zone like Iwo Jima or Okinawa, where it grew even worse. Trying to invade Japan would have meant incredible casualties, including the Japanese civilian population.
Last edited by Ben Trovado on Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 am More to point, what if he chose to resign and topple the government? For this reason the Japanese portray Anami as some sort of hero – hell Mifune gets to play him – but he really seemed to have lost his grip a bit in the end.
As an aside -- Toshiro Mhune. That SOB could ACT.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

I thought that there was no "third" bomb.

I think that the nukes were a mercy for the Japanese people as well as the rest of the world. Remember that there was a war weariness and that, while a mutiny might not have been in the offing, there was an impetus to get the damn thing over.

Sans nukes, one wonders what Japan would have looked like after it was "softened up" by the entire concentrated might of the US. No air defenses, civilians with bamboo spears vs. a billion gallons of napalm. Complete blockade for a year or two or three.

The japs were lucky we had the bomb.