Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: Japan

Post by Ben Trovado »

ed wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:18 pm I thought that there was no "third" bomb.

I think that the nukes were a mercy for the Japanese people as well as the rest of the world. Remember that there was a war weariness and that, while a mutiny might not have been in the offing, there was an impetus to get the damn thing over.

Sans nukes, one wonders what Japan would have looked like after it was "softened up" by the entire concentrated might of the US. No air defenses, civilians with bamboo spears vs. a billion gallons of napalm. Complete blockade for a year or two or three.

The japs were lucky we had the bomb.
From memory (only), we had only 3 at the time. IIRC, they anticipated having another 9 before the end of the year (I want to say by the end of September of 1945).
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I am away from Frank's book, but he covers the number of bombs available. The US could have struck again after Nagasaki. There was reticence to do so. In the lecture above, of which only the first half hour is lecture, the rest is questions and answers, he covers what would have been the practicality of using bombs on other targets. So, for example, Marshall wondered about tactical use in, say, an invasion. If forces refuses surrender, which some indicated they would, can you use a bomb in China?

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

https://soranews24.com/wp-content/uploa ... otos-1.jpg

Japanese shrine provides miniatures for thirsty bees:
In Japan, Shinto shrines are usually shady spots, shrouded with large trees and leafy plants that attract all sorts of visitors, including non-human ones like cats and insects.

Up in Ibaraki Prefecture, a shrine called Hitokotonushi has become particularly popular with the local bee population, who’ve been visiting the temizu-ya (Shinto water ablution pavilion) on the grounds to quench their thirst during summer.

Rather than shun the winged insects, staff at the shrine have chosen to care for them in a remarkable way instead. In keeping with Shinto’s respect for nature, all living creatures are to be revered and respected, and these honeybees are now amongst the most spoiled in the country, because the shrine has installed a gorgeous miniature drinking fountain especially for them.

Wokkettu NEUZU!
– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Today is the anniversary of the end of the war. There's also a lot of bad flooding in parts of the country today. It's been raining where I am since yesterday morning.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:18 pm Today is the anniversary of the end of the war. There's also a lot of bad flooding in parts of the country today. It's been raining where I am since yesterday morning.

It’s been raining of and on here in Osaka since … man, I want to say weeks. Apparently it’s even worse further west. Something like 2,000,000 are under evacuation warnings. Even here, I've been getting emergency landslide warnings through my iPhone for an area just east of me.
shuize

Post by shuize »

「病院で患者同士での殺人事件か 60代女性患者を殺害した疑いで患者の40代男を逮捕」

Translation:

Male 40s hospital patient arrested on suspicion of murdering female patient in her 60s.

Still no word whether the death will be counted as "Wuhan-Corona related."

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/world/%E ... d=msedgntp
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Clearly Trump is to blame.

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Suga is out:

Japan PM Suga won't run in upcoming LDP election
Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Sept. 3 announced that he will not run in the upcoming Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) presidential election scheduled for Sept. 29.

The announcement came during an ad-hoc executive meeting of the LDP on Sept. 3. Suga's term as party president is set to expire at the end of the month. He had been planning to reshuffle LDP executives and shake up his Cabinet next week.

The Suga Cabinet's support ratings have been sagging recently due to its response to the coronavirus pandemic and other issues. Voices had been mounting within the ruling party that the party wouldn't fare well in the coming House of Representatives election with Suga at its helm.
His administration was definitely unpopular. I have to conclude that he lost an internal power struggle within the LDP because just a few days ago he was planning to reshuffle his cabinet and replace top LDP executives, a move which was widely criticized:

Suga looks to replace Japan's 'kingmaker' Nikai in party shake-up

So with Suga stepping down, it appears to clear the way for Kishida, who is running on a promise to pass a huge Covid relief package costing "tens of trillions" of yen:

Suga challenger in LDP leadership race vows huge COVID relief package
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:52 am Suga is out:

Japan PM Suga won't run in upcoming LDP election
Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Sept. 3 announced that he will not run in the upcoming Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) presidential election scheduled for Sept. 29.

The announcement came during an ad-hoc executive meeting of the LDP on Sept. 3. Suga's term as party president is set to expire at the end of the month. He had been planning to reshuffle LDP executives and shake up his Cabinet next week.

The Suga Cabinet's support ratings have been sagging recently due to its response to the coronavirus pandemic and other issues. Voices had been mounting within the ruling party that the party wouldn't fare well in the coming House of Representatives election with Suga at its helm.
His administration was definitely unpopular. I have to conclude that he lost an internal power struggle within the LDP because just a few days ago he was planning to reshuffle his cabinet and replace top LDP executives, a move which was widely criticized:

Suga looks to replace Japan's 'kingmaker' Nikai in party shake-up

So with Suga stepping down, it appears to clear the way for Kishida, who is running on a promise to pass a huge Covid relief package costing "tens of trillions" of yen:

Suga challenger in LDP leadership race vows huge COVID relief package

I'm just glad Japan has it's debt situation under control.

It's not like there's an aging population and declining birthrate leading to fewer taxpayers able to shoulder the burden or anything.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Whether it’s an inconvenience of your time or just something that constantly bugs you, there are some unique ways to deal with these issues. One nation that gets a lot of stuff right is Japan.

https://www.thedaddest.com/trending/jap ... 9691481092

I knew it was clickbait but still clicked

The Japanese are fucking awesome
robinson

Post by robinson »

By comparison, the west are barbaric savages, and the mideast is fucking troglodytes
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Could Japan have a woman for a prime minister? Hasn't happened here yet, but one has decided to run for the job:

Takaichi announces LDP leadership bid, Kishida vows to narrow income gap
Former communications minister Sanae Takaichi on Wednesday formally announced her bid to become Japan's first female prime minister, saying she will run in the ruling Liberal Democratic Party's leadership race.

The Sept. 29 race to succeed Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is now shaping up to be a three-way contest between Takaichi, former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and vaccine czar Taro Kono.

Takaichi said she will focus on monetary easing, fiscal spending during emergencies and investing in crisis management, including defense capabilities and disaster response.

Kishida, meanwhile, vowed to boost people's income and narrow disparities through redistribution of wealth in the post-pandemic era in announcing his economic policies for the race.

"The economic gap will widen further if we do the same things we have been doing," Kishida said, although deregulation and structural reforms pursued by Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and his predecessor Shinzo Abe "undoubtedly yielded results."

"Unless we properly distribute the fruits of growth, we cannot prevent disparities from widening," Kishida told a press conference in Tokyo, pledging to expand the middle class by providing support to people raising children.

In late August, Kishida declared his bid for the Sept. 29 race, which will effectively decide the next prime minister as the LDP controls the powerful lower house of parliament.

Kishida also pledged to revive regional economies while correcting excessive concentration of the population and industries in the Tokyo metropolitan area.
Oh, the empty promises!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

What are their opinions on the comfort women?

何?

– J.D.
DJ

Post by DJ »

“The who?”

My opinion of their opinions.

Although, that lib dem might surprise people. :dunno:
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Ben Trovado wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:12 am
Doctor X wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 pmWhat always got me was that they had to drop a second bomb.

. . . and even then, the military side did not want to surrender.
They may have had to have dropped a third. Not to tangent this into a discussion on the point, but I have lost all respect for the view that the bombs were "unnecessary" or "gratuitous." There were between 100,000-250,000 civilian loses per month in China, Korea, and ramping up in Japan. As most concede, far more lives were lost in the incendiary bombing of Tōkyō. We have not even brought in the coming famine in Japan.
There could be an argument on the second bomb, but from reading about the military opinions at the time, I tend to agree.

Look at Taniwa [ed: typo -- Tariwa (thanks DJ)], the first island taken by amphibious assault in the war. From memory, the Japanese had 43,000 personnel on the island. Prisoners taken: 17. All the rest refused to surrender, including taking grenades and pretending to be dead or wounded just to take a medico with them when they died.

And that was not in their crucial defense zone like Iwo Jima or Okinawa, where it grew even worse. Trying to invade Japan would have meant incredible casualties, including the Japanese civilian population.
And Saipan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Cliff

I think that the balance had to be struck between:
1- Invading and losing men - Benefit is ... not using a nuke so children 75 years hence will not be upset???
2- Bombing the shit out of them and blockade. Risk is lack of support on the home front
3- Nukes benefit is quick. Downside is upset children
shuize

Post by shuize »

ed wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 pm
... Look at Taniwa [ed: typo -- Tariwa (thanks DJ)], the first island taken by amphibious assault in the war. From memory, the Japanese had 43,000 personnel on the island. Prisoners taken: 17 ...

I think you mean "Tarawa."

The Battle of Tarawa was well after Guadalcanal.

There were nowhere near 43,000 Japanese on Tarawa. More like under 5,000.

However, you are correct that only 17 Japanese soldiers were taken prisoner (wiki says 129 Korean laborers also captured).

Tarawa is famous for being a bloodbath against fanatical Japanese resistance for questionable benefit.* Among other things, there were problems with the marines' landing craft. Tarawa also may have been the first time the American public saw photos of dead marines on beaches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tarawa

* See also: Battle of Palau
robinson

Post by robinson »

It came out later the reason Japan surrendered was fear the new bomb could kill the Emperor, which they could not allow

Some deep belief that if the emperor was killed Japan would be no more

Can’t say it’s true, but it’s plausible
robinson

Post by robinson »

Read it in a book many years ago
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

shuize wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:05 am
ed wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 pm
... Look at Taniwa [ed: typo -- Tariwa (thanks DJ)], the first island taken by amphibious assault in the war. From memory, the Japanese had 43,000 personnel on the island. Prisoners taken: 17 ...

I think you mean "Tarawa."

The Battle of Tarawa was well after Guadalcanal.

There were nowhere near 43,000 Japanese on Tarawa. More like under 5,000.

However, you are correct that only 17 Japanese soldiers were taken prisoner (wiki says 129 Korean laborers also captured).

Tarawa is famous for being a bloodbath against fanatical Japanese resistance for questionable benefit.* Among other things, there were problems with the marines' landing craft. Tarawa also may have been the first time the American public saw photos of dead marines on beaches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tarawa

* See also: Battle of Palau
Thanks for the correction -- it had been a long time since I read anything on it.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

But you can listen to Hard Core History's podcast on it: "A Super Nova in the East"

雨に

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am But you can listen to Hard Core History's podcast on it: "A Super Nova in the East"

雨に

– J.D.
I second that recommendation.

Here's a video from an economist I came across about the last 4 decades of Japan's economy. I think he gets most of it right:

Some facts in the video that shocked me:

70% of Japan's national debt is owned by the Bank of Japan.
So is 15% of its corporate debt, and 7% of its stock equity.
This is unusual. I sort of already knew about the first one, although I hadn't realized it was as much as 70%. Wasn't really aware of the other two though. The practice of "window guidance" was also another thing I hadn't been aware of. It helped to create Japan's asset bubble of the 1980s.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am But you can listen to Hard Core History's podcast on it: "A Super Nova in the East"

雨に

– J.D.

He does a fantastic job, IMO.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Here's a video from an economist I came across about the last 4 decades of Japan's economy. I think he gets most of it right:

Some facts in the video that shocked me:

70% of Japan's national debt is owned by the Bank of Japan.
So is 15% of its corporate debt, and 7% of its stock equity.
This is unusual. I sort of already knew about the first one, although I hadn't realized it was as much as 70%. Wasn't really aware of the other two though. The practice of "window guidance" was also another thing I hadn't been aware of. It helped to create Japan's asset bubble of the 1980s.

Good video.

He is not the first person I've heard say Japan's huge debt is not such a problem after all.

I guess the Bank of Japan and Japanese citizens holding all the debt means they don't really have to pay it back.

A few more thoughts I had while watching:

-- I used to be firmly in the "Go Yen Beat Dollar!" camp. But it was a happy day when I realized I've reached the point where a stronger dollar relative to yen could offer many retirement advantages.

-- As for the more daycare centers idea mentioned in the video, I had a male student who, upon graduation, said he wanted to get his license to become a day-care/pre-school worker. He specifically cited Abe's plan for more daycare centers. I thought the falling birthrate, the overwhelming bias toward hiring women, and the crappy pay all argued against that career choice. But to each his own.

-- I agree that raising kids in Japan seems to be harder than it needs to be.

-- On immigration to address ageing population, I think the general view in Japan is that they would rather disappear off the face of the earth than import more foreigners.
Last edited by shuize on Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I think the general view in Japan is that they would rather disappear of the face of the earth than import more foreigners.
Yup. Some things never change.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

shuize wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 pm
-- I agree that raising kids in Japan seems to be harder than it needs to be.
They have to be ready to rule the country and handle major military engagements by the time they get to be in the high school student council, damnit! It needs to be tough so they are ready.

Why, yes, everything I know about Japan is from Anime. Why do you ask?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

We ask why you do not include fighting off hoards of frigid, serious, but surprisingly experimental girls, and at least one foreign teacher who teaches . . . things . . . important things who wish to form a harem whilst he trains to beat off invaders with his sharp pointy stick.

Oh and tentacles.

Just ask Anax.

– J.D.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 pm We ask why you do not include fighting off hoards of frigid, serious, but surprisingly experimental girls, and at least one foreign teacher who teaches . . . things . . . important things who wish to form a harem whilst he trains to beat off invaders with his sharp pointy stick.

Oh and tentacles.

Just ask Anax.

– J.D.
Yes. I have seen "high school of the dead". 37 times.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Unfortunately boobs, the author died so we will never boobs know how it boobs ends boobs.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5 ... @._V1_.jpg

Boobs.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 am Unfortunately boobs, the author died so we will never boobs know how it boobs ends boobs.

Boobs.

– J.D.
I think it will involve a luger.

And boobs.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And a high-powered rifle steadied by, well, boobs.

– J.D.
I think I recommended the anime some years ago since, I liked the opening premise that The Guy Whose is Normally Named 'Ichi-Something' faces a day where he has no future, realizes his girlfriend was never his girlfriend since she was shagging Toshi, so he walk up to the roof where All Mangajin Go to Sulk . . . and see that Zombie Apocalypse has started. "You thought in your teenage angst life sucked?"

But then boobs.

So many boobs.

Not as horrible as Railgun or Steins;Gate.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://i.ibb.co/GTXTC5b/3A76ZK.gif
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Kono supports gay marriage, couples’ separate surnames
Taro Kono, a contender to become leader of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, has come out in favor of legalizing same-sex marriages and allowing married couples to have separate surnames.

“I agree with both issues,” Kono told reporters on Sept. 16.

Kono said that “constitutional issues” must be sorted out to allow same-sex couples to legally marry.

The LDP is known for championing traditional conservative family values and many members have opposed same-sex marriages and separate surnames.
Fwiw, the Japanese Constitution (written by Americans after World War 2) states as follows:
Article 24. Marriage shall be based only on the mutual consent of both sexes and it shall be maintained through mutual cooperation with the equal rights of husband and wife as a basis.
With regard to choice of spouse, property rights, inheritance, choice of domicile, divorce and other matters pertaining to marriage and the family, laws shall be enacted from the standpoint of individual dignity and the essential equality of the sexes.
Wikipedia says that "The Japanese constitution is the oldest unamended constitution in the world."

Although it has never been amended, it has arguably been ignored in some cases, or interpreted in interesting ways (article 9).

Does Article 24 prohibit same-sex marriage? In a way it doesn't even seem to consider it as a possibility.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am https://i.ibb.co/GTXTC5b/3A76ZK.gif
Hey! Spoiler Alerts!

Do not reveal Important Plot Points!

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:38 amDoes Article 24 prohibit same-sex marriage? In a way it doesn't even seem to consider it as a possibility.
I would think it is exactly that: no one considered it possible.

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:51 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am https://i.ibb.co/GTXTC5b/3A76ZK.gif
Hey! Spoiler Alerts!

Do not reveal Important Plot Points!

– J.D.
It's an entertaining romp that makes no apologies otherwise.

I do so like the two girls declaring their "bff" status with each other, just before a zombie grabs one of the girls' legs, and the other kicks her in the face and runs away.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yes, moments like that were interesting. Gave a bit of a Battle Royale feel, or Maus where "leave them in a room for a week without food and you see what it is friends."

There were other "interesting" issues such as the father who was the fascist. Not sure if the author was satirizing such or actually admiring him.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 pm And a high-powered rifle steadied by, well, boobs.

– J.D.
I think I recommended the anime some years ago since, I liked the opening premise that The Guy Whose is Normally Named 'Ichi-Something' faces a day where he has no future, realizes his girlfriend was never his girlfriend since she was shagging Toshi, so he walk up to the roof where All Mangajin Go to Sulk . . . and see that Zombie Apocalypse has started. "You thought in your teenage angst life sucked?"

But then boobs.

So many boobs.

Not as horrible as Railgun or Steins;Gate.
I couldn't really watch it. The sudden whipsaw nature of "Oh, all my friends are dying horribly in front of me! to (3 minutes later) "Hey, let's have a lingerie show and play on the beach in bikinis!" just . . . bothered me.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ben Trovado wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:47 pmI couldn't really watch it. The sudden whipsaw nature of "Oh, all my friends are dying horribly in front of me! to (3 minutes later) "Hey, let's have a lingerie show and play on the beach in bikinis!" just . . . bothered me.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:47 pmI couldn't really watch it. The sudden whipsaw nature of "Oh, all my friends are dying horribly in front of me! to (3 minutes later) "Hey, let's have a lingerie show and play on the beach in bikinis!" just . . . bothered me.

– J.D.
I don't claim it to be rational -- just how it struck me.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself.

I am large. I contain multitudes. At the all you can eat buffet, I am even larger - and I contain shrimp.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

CEO of Japan beverage giant Suntory calls for age-45 retirement
TOKYO -- People should have to retire at age 45 from their company as part of post coronavirus pandemic economic recovery plans, Japanese beverage giant Suntory Holdings Ltd. CEO Takeshi Niinami stated recently, sparking a swift and furious social media reaction.

Japan needs "age-45 mandatory retirement, and a system that makes sure individuals aren't dependent on companies," Niinami declared on Sept. 9. He rowed back on the comment somewhat the following day, saying, "It might have been clumsy of me to use the term 'retirement age.'"

The Suntory president was participating in the Japan Association of Corporate Executives' summer seminar when he made the comments on both days. On Sept. 9, he was arguing that Japan needed to rid itself of its lifelong employment and service time-based salary models, and used mandatory retirement at age 45 as a concrete example of how to do this. Niinami sought to demonstrate that the measure would spur workers to move into growth industries and rejuvenate corporate organizational structure.

When his comments were reported, however, social media users poured scorn on the Suntory head, with responses including, "It's impossible for regular people to change jobs at age 45," and "This is just a lay-off scheme."
OK, you go first. Put your money where your mouth is. :roll:

Of course he can probably afford to retire, but not most people.

He is already 62, so he's calling for people much younger than himself to be fired.