The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Weeb Report

Post by Doctor X »

Is that the "live action?"

But, yeah, Japanese trying to do English is about as funny as English trying to do Japanese.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:Is that the "live action?"

But, yeah, Japanese trying to do English is about as funny as English trying to do Japanese.

--J.D.
No, the one I'm watching is Anime. If there is a live action one, I didn't see it among the choices. I only got about halfway through before my bed time. It seems to be OK, if you you can get past the Engrish parts. There's a fictional Southeast Asian country where the language is Japanese English.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Hrmmmm . . . I will have to look for it. I am aware of an "extended" redo of the first season to give some more background to characters and all of that. I have not watched it yet.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho-Pass:_The_Movie

I found it at the same site which you recommended to me.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ah . . . but did you find the fixed version?

[youtube][/youtube]

they used the Funmation English Dub for the American characters so those who are suppose to be speaking English as natives speak English rather than Engrish.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:Ah . . . but did you find the fixed version?

[youtube][/youtube]

they used the Funmation English Dub for the American characters so those who are suppose to be speaking English as natives speak English rather than Engrish.

--J.D.
Alas, no. Wasn't aware of it until I started watching.

It's fine I guess. Makes for some unintentional comedy. Do you plan to watch this one too?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

hehe
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Finished watching the movie last night. Can't really say it was a great movie. It was OK. Not a "must see" though. The villains from the two series were more interesting.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Will get to it, I am finishing up a few other things. Both kind of silly so I am not sure I can recommend them.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I am enjoying the movie--why does a union of Southeast Asian countries all speak English? I suspect because it is harder to find voice actors who can speak Chinese/Thai/Burmaneseygo.

The English dub correction is the way to go. The two principle characters trying to speak English is . . . well . . . stereotypically painful!

Anyways, I am liking the direction the story goes. Our Heroine is still a slave of her society, her Cunt Underling is still a Cunt, her Cunt Boss is still a Cunt, a lot of people are happy to force a lot of other people into what is effectively slavery, and the Two Lesbians are still hot.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

いぬや[駄目!--Ed.] Inuyashiki by the same author of Gantz.

Basically, the manga is about a man by the same name who is older than he looks--as his doctors tell him--who lives his final day as if he is in Ikkuru--the Kurosawa classic many consider as close to a religious experience one can get without any religion. His daughter and grandkids barely tolerate him. He is a mouse.

Then he is diagnosed with stomach cancer. The Japanese Original doctor offhandedly gives him three months to live. He tries to tell his family, but each individual finds something more important to do than listen to him.

He finds a dog--"inu"--so, yes, "Inuyasha" is "Dog Demon" basically.

He bonds with dog, and in his despair, hugs him in a field crying as he notices a well-dressed teenager also standing in the field.

And that is when the UFO accidentally lands on them.
Alien Voice One: Damn, what happened?

Alien Voice Two: We landed on two of them. What do we do?

Alien VO: Replace them and get the hell out of here!

Alien VT: But we've only got assault types.

Alien VO: Not my problem.
The old man awakes.

Things are not quite the same. Evidences:

[youtube][/youtube]

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Looks interesting! :)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It is, but unlike Gantz there is no comic relief such as Gantz deducting points because a character's "tits are still too big." It is a bit like Psycho-Pass in that respect, though PP had one or two moments of humor without "playing for yucks."

Good animation. Lots of references to other manga/anime. One character's room is decked in Gantz posters, and another is a huge fan of One Piece--which I have never seen because . . . why?

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"Let's pretend we didn't see that."
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A certain scientific railgun

There, I said it. Bastards.

It's my guilty.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

本当に?

冗談ね?!
For years I have heard of "railgun" references, but what I saw looked like "magical girls with visors and . . . BOOM!" pap.

So are you saying it is actually good? If you:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/miinaho/imgs ... c62d6a.jpg

you will anger the Locative Death Goddess:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... jxrgql.jpg

Why you make Locative Death Goddess cry, Anax

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... 5zxci4.gif
--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I thought it looked stupid too, and it probably is stupid. It's every cliche anime trope rolled into one. Yet, somehow, I am enjoying it.

(BTW, it's very heavy on the lez vibes. Info for "your friend" of course.)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

At the risk of exposing my 馬鹿, do you have a title? As I have indicated, despite my demeanor, I do not watch a ton of anime.

There seems to be a greater acceptance of yuri. I do not know if that actually reflect Japanese accepetance--that something is acceptable on television does not mean it actually is, as in 'murica--but I have noticed a trend: "girls" exploring their sexuality seems acceptable for the male viewers. The "joke" is one girl is lesbian and another is not AND HILARITY follows.

This "trope" was in the young-adult Ika Musume [Squid Girl--Ed.] where a clearly lesbian girl gets repeatedly rebuffed. However, and this point is "different" from earlier series, she is not ridiculed for being a lesbian. In the manga of Watamote--私がモテのは[Stop it!--Ed.], the main character declares some girls "lesbo" who are not. Yet, she, and they, are curious about their bodies and sexuality.

Move a few years to the more modern satire somewhat based on Watamote or at least acting as a homage to it and many other series, there is a clearly lesbian character who is not at all ridiculed for it. It is never brought up. No one is embarrassed by it. Again, that may be simply entertainment accepting lesbians over homosexuals, though there is a teacher who is openly bisexual. Neither of his proclivities are made an object of ridicule.

Of course, what is accepted in movies and television does not mean accepted in current society.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The English title is A Certain Scientific Railgun

And in Japanese とある科学の超電磁砲. Apparently originally a manga which began in 2007.

Became available on Japanese Netflix within the last month or so and I just started watching it today. Had my house to myself for a glorious few hours. Wife and kids were all out for different reasons, and I decided to watch the first episode just to see if it was any good. Ended up watching five episodes.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tentacles?

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

There is an OVA and a second series.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

No tentacles (alas) but it does follow the standard anime formula. The main characters are high school students with special abilities who fight crime while attending high school. Not very original in concept. I find it hard to give any concrete reason to recommend, but it does seem to be fairly popular. Episodes are like 23 minutes each for a 30-minute TV time slot, so you could check out one or two and then quit if it doesn't tickle your fancy.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/6213/Toar ... no_Railgun
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I can have a tolerance for stupid if it is clever.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Episode 6 was pretty slow. I felt like I was starting to lose interest.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Oooo . . . considering there is 24-odd episodes, that is a "bad sign."

Oddly enough, a silly satirical amine I mentioned was "okay" for the first few episodes then got really funny after the 6th episode. Then it really started to take the piss out of otaku, even girls. Which was all sort of the point.

You definitely will enjoy Watamote if you ever get around to it:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... kzfg4f.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... efbp5c.jpg

--J.D.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Friend recommended Golden Kamuy (ゴールデンカムイ) manga that is about to be an anime.

Takes play in early 1900's after the Russo-Japanese war and touches on a lot of Japanese and Ainu history, as well as regional hunting and cooking.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

There is, apparently, an anime Godzilla movie that recently came out.Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters. The gist is that Godzilla and other kaiju become a big enough problem to drive humanity off of Earth and the story is about an expedition to reclaim it. So Godzilla meets After Earth only with bigger eyes and 100% Jaden Smith free.

Saw it today. Not bad. Not enough Godzilla in it for my taste but it is very obviously meant to be the start of a series, so I can forgive that flaw. The big G works well as an anime though, and I think its a good format for him.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That.

Is.

Beyond.

Awesome.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile, the new series of Tokyo Ghoul "re" has started.

I sort of gave up on the manga since it began to have about 27,000 characters of whom half are dead but not really dead, or are they? They change roles! And NAMES! How is your Japanese? It sucks? HA!HA!HA! Baka!

Though the previous two anime did a very good job so, hopefully, this will "trim the fat" of the manga.

Meanwhile, regarding the Berserk manga
There will be . . . a Chosen One!

No . . . wait . . . there will be more anime adaptions, of course, but a major plot point which I will cover with t3h
Spoiler:
Casca awakes.

She is convinced she is Ethel Merman

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Thought you weebs would appreciate.

https://i.redd.it/pn5iubdk91u21.png
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

「ねーアンニ?倒れって!」

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Coming to Netflix later this month:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Saw the whole thing already. It's not as good as the Japanese original.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be as good. Live-action remakes of animes tend not to be as good.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

My thought on it is why not do something new rather than try to remake something that was already fantastic. As the guys behind The Thing prequel, which I enjoyed, responded to the Japanese original request to remake Carpenter's film: "You don't remake Jaws."

Nor do you "remake" The Godfather, or Lawrence of Arabia, or A Clockwork Orange. What will one "improve?"

Even films and works which, by today's standards, are dated or over-wrought: Here's looking at you, kid. What will be better?

The only time I have ever seen a "remake," particularly of a Japanese Original foreign film, that is better is if the Japanese original utterly sucks. Perfect example, the film Tarantino used for Reservoir Dogs, the Hong Kong City on Fire fucking utterly sucks. Worse than a Generic You Mom joke! Even one that involves Your Mom!

See you Space Cowboy. . . .

– J.D.

P.S. You can see why the character of "Ed" was based on Yoko Kano
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:28 am My thought on it is why not do something new rather than try to remake something that was already fantastic.
I had a similar thought. People tend to want to remake something that was good the first time around, or at least was based on good source material, rather than something that sucked and was forgettable. One reason is that it already has an existing fan base, and name-recognition. The downside of remaking a classic is that it is likely to suffer by comparison with the original.

The recent Ghost in the Shell movie is good example of this. There was nothing to improve on. The visual effects were decent I suppose, but otherwise it was just the same story retold with a few changes that cannot be called improvements.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Totally agree with that, especially with regards to the Ghost in the Shell movie. Oddly enough, the Japanese original movie and more accurate to the source anime series were all vast improvements over the source manga.

That does happen. Oddly enough, the previous mentioned Jaws and The Godfather are vast improvements over their source material.

Here is an odd Japanese Original: Ringu. The Japanese Original film is fantastic despite the fact it makes two critical changes to the source novel. Forget the USA!USA!USA! remake.

It is still a great movie, but the problems with the changes carried on into subsequent sequels that could not follow the books at all because of these changes. Now we have "Sadako versus That Chick from Jū-on and JASON! If the Contracts are Signed!"

Stephen King, probably the most overrated popular author not named "Dickens," sort of agreed that the changes made to The Myst led to a better movie and story.

Anyway, this is back to "remaking" a creation that was perfectly fine. The creators relented in making a movie that they set between the last two episodes of the Japanese original series. It was fine. But the point of the last episode was suppose to be stark and painful:
  • 1. Jet: Jet abandons him as he always threatened to do so. Jet is not a "hero." He is not "noble." All of his character arc that suggests that this is an act which he tosses away all too easily. He cares only for himself. He frequently warns Spike of this.

2. Faye: does not love Spike. She may have some protective feelings, which she did act upon earlier, but she has moved on trying to figure out who she is. So she does not act to save him, and Spike does not want her to. She is not the "Hooker with the Heart of Gold." To be fair to Faye, she knows Spike would also abandon her to chase after his "dream."

3. Ed: really a girl named Francoise, was never ever connected with them. She is, ultimately, nothing to them, and they are nothing to her. She hangs around when they seem to amuse her; they keep her around because she is useful. I strongly suspect that after she left them, she never, ever, thought about them. The only reason Jet, Faye, or she would contact one another is if they needed something specific.

4. Spike: "which brings us to Mr. Kindt!" Spike never grows. Despite his pretenses to heroism beyond Jet's pretenses, he has no "point," and he only plays at having a sense of justice. As the initial opening scene reveals, he is just a piece of meat that was saved after he was nearly murdered. He chases after a girl who does not love him. He fights a random sociopath "because." So like many of the characters he encounters during the series, he ultimately does nothing with his skills. Worse, he learns nothing from their examples. It is particularly important that his two Most Evilest Opponents are the perpetual child and "Tonpoo," a retarded man made into an assassin.

He is them, and he learns nothing from them. When the child asks him if he understands he has no answer. When "Tonpoo" is reduced to crying for his mother, Spike does not recognize the similarity.

So he, as the creator affirms, dies. What did he accomplish? Killing Viscous? Yay. His brother is dead, "the girl" is dead due to his own actions, and he is abandoned. He basically commits suicide under the guise of killing The Big Bad Guy. Neat. If he was mature, he could have done it far easier. Instead, he is, as the Space Indian notes, damned.
Which is sort of why such is enjoyable.

So they will improve on that how? I understand fans who imagine all sorts of different endings may not like what is the obvious conclusion. But the "point" of the series is it is all a stereotyped façade: from the music, dress, situations, even the fake television show. People playing characters they are not and suffering the horrible consequences.

Perhaps the one "good" character is Gren who, after suffering all he suffered, realizes it is all a lie. As Vicious sort of revealed to him: we are not comrades. There is no poetry to the war. You are just a tool, and people, including me, will use you as one.

Hell, Ein is sort of a summary of the series. Does anyone actually care about him? He is a "data-dog" that is carrying information that resulted in Death, Doom, and Destruction yet . . . no one ever accesses the data? Why? Because people moved on. It is no longer important to people, and/or no one cares to see if it could be important any longer.

In the rain.

– J.D.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

They rewrote all the characters so none of what you said about Jet, Spike, Faye, holds true.
Spoiler:
We only see Ed in the last 5 minutes of the last episode. Hard to say what changes if any will be there.
The casting is all wrong too. Apparently best you can do for Spike is a 50 year old John Cho.