THE END

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

THE END

Post by Bruce »

I do believe this year will be the year.

The one we've all been anticipating.

Global economic collapse.

Today we started running out of critical consumable supplies needed to do our jobs and make and test product. Supplies that were ordered months ago and are now listed as back-ordered for six months to a year. Vendors are no longer answering the phone or returning calls. Key employees are quitting and retiring daily. New hires are hopelessly stupid and don't even show up half the time. Not good.

I have a company strategic goal setting meeting on Monday. If they spend all three hours pretending the world isn't ending right now..........fuck.......its over. Really.

https://i.imgur.com/czrdF6O.jpg
You tell management that you can't run a single analysis because you're out of the only type of glass vials that fit into the machines and they don't even bat an eye, but if you don't fill out the bullshit forms explaining how you're going to leverage synergistic platforms to facilitate customer needs, they lose their goddamn minds.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Re: THE END

Post by robinson »

Les riches et les puissants ne souffrent pas du manque d'approvisionnement.

Les politiciens ont déjà manqué un chèque de paie.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

When the internet goes offline and the power grid shuts down, I don't think the tribes that will be fighting over the dwindling food and water supplies will find much use for an aging analytical scientist.
https://i.imgur.com/g2hujtR.jpg
Yes ma'am, as a matter of fact, I can still shovel shit. :worship:
robinson

Post by robinson »

When the trucks can’t deliver food, for any reason

Mass starvation begins in a week
robinson

Post by robinson »

Unless you are Amish or Mormon

They start starving in a week plus two days

Unless they have lots of ammo
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Baby formula is gone. Small towns across the US are shutting down. Gas is no longer affordable. The end is here and now.

https://www.breezyscroll.com/world/enti ... -vacation/
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Bruce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:41 am
New hires are hopelessly stupid and don't even show up half the time. Not good.
Didn't you change jobs recently...
Hillary Clinton
Title: Madame President

Post by Hillary Clinton »

Hotarubi wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:11 pm
Yeah. He's working in the White House.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Hillary Clinton wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:35 pm
Yeah. He's working in the White House.
Does it still sting a little bit?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

It was more of a transition, from one level of Dante's inferno to another, so to speak.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Bruce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:41 am I do believe this year will be the year.

Today we started running out of critical consumable supplies needed to do our jobs and make and test product. Supplies that were ordered months ago and are now listed as back-ordered for six months to a year. Vendors are no longer answering the phone or returning calls. Key employees are quitting and retiring daily. New hires are hopelessly stupid and don't even show up half the time. Not good.

I have a company strategic goal setting meeting on Monday. If they spend all three hours pretending the world isn't ending right now..........fuck.......its over. Really.

You tell management that you can't run a single analysis because you're out of the only type of glass vials that fit into the machines and they don't even bat an eye, but if you don't fill out the bullshit forms explaining how you're going to leverage synergistic platforms to facilitate customer needs, they lose their goddamn minds.
Reports. That's all that matters. You don't need to ever produce any actual results again. Just fill out your reports on time. You'll still be there twenty years from now filling out reports while the world burns.

I would retire now but they pay me too much money to do almost nothing except reports.
Lumbergh
Title: Division Vice President

Post by Lumbergh »

Yeah...I'm gonna need you to go ahead and make sure you put the new cover sheets on those reports, m'kay?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

shemp wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:58 pm
Bruce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:41 am I do believe this year will be the year.

Reports. That's all that matters. You don't need to ever produce any actual results again. Just fill out your reports on time. You'll still be there twenty years from now filling out reports while the world burns.

I would retire now but they pay me too much money to do almost nothing except reports.
I'm picturing myself sitting in my candle-lit office, a year from now, in a dark, powerless building, writing a report from memory, using a feather quill, when in walks my boss with her fancy gas lamp.

How's that report coming along? Whoa, whoa, that doesn't look like 11 pt Times New Roman.....
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet......

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasf ... edium=mweb

......these people will run out of water within a few months .
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I think it's important to realize that even in collapses things don't end. The world keeps going and changing into something else, but it's still there.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

In other words, it does not give a fuck about you.

It does about moi, but then I am Special!

I have my own bus!

Wait. . . .

– J.D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/23/11006553 ... new-record
An estimated 100 million people around the world are forcibly displaced, the highest number on record, according to the United Nations.

The figure represents 1% of the world's population and would be equivalent to the 14th most populous country, the U.N. said in its statement.

At the end of 2021, 90 million had been displaced from their countries, including 14.4 million people displaced within their countries' borders due to violence. An estimated 23.7 million people, mostly in the Asia-Pacific region, were displaced internally in 2021 due to natural disasters.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Bruce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:04 am When the internet goes offline and the power grid shuts down, I don't think the tribes that will be fighting over the dwindling food and water supplies will find much use for an aging analytical scientist.
At least we know from that documentary that there will be eyeshadow and lip rouge in the post-apocalyptic world.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

That's not bad, but get hungry enough...
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Pyrrho wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 pm
Bruce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:04 am When the internet goes offline and the power grid shuts down, I don't think the tribes that will be fighting over the dwindling food and water supplies will find much use for an aging analytical scientist.
At least we know from that documentary that there will be eyeshadow and lip rouge in the post-apocalyptic world.
I have been hoarding it right next to my ammo.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

We had our strategic goals meeting. First one for me at the new job. It was the same bullshit as wiith every company except for two key differences.

1) The "Ask the leadership team" portion included very cut-thoat questions that never would have been voiced in previous years for fear of retaliation. The smartly dressed high level folks that you never see except in these meetings were clearly taken off gaurd, babbling nonsense that didn't even relate to the questions. I'm guessing they will be hiring PR experts to take questions starting next quarter.

2) It was very clear from all the employees in all departments, and even middle management, that we've had enough of this nonsense. I felt this especially from new hires who thought they had escaped this garbage when the left there last job.

This might be the year for actual change......or more of history getting ready to repeat itself.
Lumbergh

Post by Lumbergh »

Yeah... we're going to go ahead and bring in Bob Slidell to go ahead and get everyone in alignment on those questions so we don't have any glitches. It'll be great.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

This guy was Gary Cole's inspiration for Lumberg:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mike+ju ... ,st:345.86
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

If you look carefully, at the end of the film, the foreman, wearing a shirt and tie and holding a coffee mug, approaches them. . . .

– J.D.
Lumbergh

Post by Lumbergh »

Yeah...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That is indeed it.

Judge did not want it to be a "downer" by actually killing off what became an iconic character, and I think he was wise not to make the ending message that "there's always a Lumbergh" too obvious.

According to Cole, he based the "Yeaaaaaah" on the character voiced by Judge in his cartoon shorts based on Milton. Think the Hippie Teacher in Beavis and Butthead with a coffee cup. Cole argued that he was happy to do it, and it would fit the character:

– J.D.
Lumbergh

Post by Lumbergh »

Yeah...more bulk in these threads, m'kay?

Ooh...looks like a glitch. Hmm.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Yea, that's not so great Humbug.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Twit: https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1529950027115704320
Whatever you say, Slick.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

How did that whole Prior to #MeToo work out?

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:37 am How did that whole Prior to #MeToo work out?

– J.D.
What is Spermer wibbling about now?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

School shootings have become so common that the "moment of silence for the victims" is becoming a standard practice at sporting events.