The Silence Here Is Deafening

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Grammatron

Re: The Silence Here Is Deafening

Post by Grammatron »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Anyway let's pause for reflection at the latest in a long line of "lone bathmen" incidents at high schools this month.

Please. A moment.
The implication being that baring a shocking event with a gun present a loss of life is less tragic?

This thread was started because a poster who has since contributed fuck all to this topic was upset that an event is being ignored, not for any care of life lost.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Ben Trovado wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:45 pm
I think it is fair to look at gun homicides as its own issue. I do think it is reasonable to look at other homicides and violent crimes (and comparing autos or drownings can sometimes put the homicide numbers in perspective), I don't think bringing up drownings is wholly irrelevant, but I also don't think that leaving it out of a discussion is unreasonable, either - according to your focus.

But assuming that the "all guns magically disappear and we reverse he 2nd Amendment" is off the table, at least in the short run, I just wonder about enforcing the current laws that most people *have* agreed to. Why pass new laws if the police and DAs are going to just enforce the ones they approve of against the people that they don't?
Sure, but a reasonable discussion has already happened on the very first page. Subsequently it, once again devolved into cherry picking statistics and feelings. No one has ever explained to me how taking my guns away makes people and me safer. We have ample laws in places here in Los Angeles but it does not mean shit if the DA refuses to charge people for breaking those laws.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pmThis thread was started because a poster who has since contributed fuck all to this topic was upset that an event is being ignored, not for any care of life lost.
Oh no you don't.

It's about the hypocrisy of morons who wank themselves into a lather over black crime completely ignoring an incident that killed 19 kids and two teachers. The cowardice of the pigs isn't even the object, but the filth here ignoring and idiotsplaining that also is right on type and worth the price of admission.

I don't think it's channeling shemp too far to suggest he knew damned well it wasn't going to rate a mention here, unless he did so.

None of the few of us who aren't in your little cadre of capital C conservatives is upset or surprised about anything you guys do or say. It's expected.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

There's a good start. I know how scary that is.
Gratuitous insult, and fallacious to boot.

I would look up what fallacy means because all of those occurred at Uvalde which is the subject of this thread. Not too difficult.

And excuse me for getting agitated when kids get shot as a result of those failures. I'm actually agreeing with you if you'd stop to think about it instead of getting the vapors and relying on stereotypes.
"I know how scary that is." That's the part I was objecting to - it doesn't move the ball forward, but is just a jab in the eye to own the other side.

Neither side is going to make progress like that, but I am convinced the loudest national voices on both sides don't want progress. Why throw away a useful wedge issue in an election year?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

The Atheist wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:49 am
Grammatron wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pmThis thread was started because a poster who has since contributed fuck all to this topic was upset that an event is being ignored, not for any care of life lost.
Oh no you don't.

It's about the hypocrisy of morons who wank themselves into a lather over black crime completely ignoring an incident that killed 19 kids and two teachers. The cowardice of the pigs isn't even the object, but the filth here ignoring and idiotsplaining that also is right on type and worth the price of admission.

I don't think it's channeling shemp too far to suggest he knew damned well it wasn't going to rate a mention here, unless he did so.

None of the few of us who aren't in your little cadre of capital C conservatives is upset or surprised about anything you guys do or say. It's expected.
The only people wanking themselves into a leather after death with narrow set of circumstances are anti gun people. The rest of your post doesn't apply to me nor anyone who posts on this forum. Something you would understand if you lived in this country and not looking at it through a skewed, foreign lens. The rest of your authoritarian advise is pointless, no matter how much emotional nonsense you want to attach to it.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

You respond to a Racist Cunt, and you expect to receive a rational reply?

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Writing of Cunts, the police chief has been put on leave.

– J.D.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pm

Anyway let's pause for reflection at the latest in a long line of "lone bathmen" incidents at high schools this month.

Please. A moment.
The implication being that baring a shocking event with a gun present a loss of life is less tragic?
From whom?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 am You respond to a Racist Cunt, and you expect to receive a rational reply?

– J.D.
I expect no such thing.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:14 am

Please. A moment.
From whom?
Could be anyone who uses terms like "lone bathmen"
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Grammatron wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:29 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:14 am

Please. A moment.
From whom?
Could be anyone who uses terms like "lone bathmen"
Merely pointing out your obvious fallacies and nothing else. If that gives you the gypsies and knee-jerks you to assign positions to me that I do not hold then I would suggest you avoid relying on them.

Indeed, the use of such fallacies might, might suggest it is you that is belittling the deaths if children to promote an agenda. Might.

Thanks.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:17 pm
Merely pointing out your obvious fallacies and nothing else. If that gives you the gypsies and knee-jerks you to assign positions to me that I do not hold then I would suggest you avoid relying on them.

Indeed, the use of such fallacies might, might suggest it is you that is belittling the deaths if children to promote an agenda. Might.

Thanks.
Well it's tricky because to me this conversation is about two things: Guns and Life/Death. If the issue is Life/Death then I think I am well within the topic to bring up the fact that the same care for people dying is absent when looking at USA. Avoidable deaths when it comes to drowning or overdosing (adults and children) is significantly higher than other countries. I think it illustrates that USA is more dangerous than other countries, guns or no guns.

If we are talking strictly guns, then sure all that you typed applies but I disagree that this should be the conversation, too narrow.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

54% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (24,292), while 43% were murders (19,384), according to the CDC. The remaining gun deaths that year were unintentional (535), involved law enforcement (611) or had undetermined circumstances (400).

Number of drownings.

Hmm?

Mmmmmm....looks bad for you

Every year in the United States there are an estimated:

3,960* fatal unintentional drownings, including boating-related drowning—that is an average of 11 drowning deaths per day.
8,080† nonfatal drownings—that is an average of 22 nonfatal drownings per day.

So let's dismiss your drowning assertions as "talked without doing research" shall we?

Overdosing? Totally different matter. Parameters. 91,000. Hideous. Willing to discuss that but it remains a fallacy in a gun or mass shooting or gun law/2nd amendment discussion.

Finally, convenient that you want to compare the USA to other countries now , when you dismissed it out of hand when I bought it up earlier in the thread.

Convenient indeed.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Perhaps I wasn't clear or you misunderstood.

I am asking why are people having conversation about this to begin with. What's the genesis of this conversation? Is the issue the raw number of dead people per year, per incident, per capita? How many people need to die for it to become a "silence here is deafening" situation?

That's why I brought up drowning and drug overdosing. If you look at per capita drowning in USA and compare it to countries in "western world" (such as it's done with guns) you will find that USA has significantly more death from drowning. If you want to go with raw numbers then look at drug ODng and you will find a troubling situation that is getting significantly worse every year.

I don't see media blitz or hysterical posts about either of those issue so I am asking a "meta" question of why deaths from guns is different.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Are you high?

Srs. You're all over the place. I'll understand if you are
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I just wanted to have a conversation.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Grammatron wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:40 am I just wanted to have a conversation.
Same here.
I am asking why are people having conversation about this to begin with. What's the genesis of this conversation?
Kids being shot by guns. I think that's a reasonable discussion point.

You ARE high aren't you? *fist bump* Enjoy. Talk to you tomorrow.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 am
Kids being shot by guns. I think that's a reasonable discussion point.
Then I think Ben offered viable solutions. Like locking school doors and providing better security for schools. Better police would also be nice, but we can't have nice things.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 am You respond to a Racist Cunt, and you expect to receive a rational reply?

– J.D.
Hi there tubbo!

I can't decide whether there's more irony or projection in your pathetic post.

I'm thinking it's projection, because you have nothing on me as far as racism goes.

You're a fence-sitting fuckwit coward.

Sparky or someone might like to quote this so the feeble shorty sees it.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Grammatron wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:25 amThen I think Ben offered viable solutions. Like locking school doors and providing better security for schools.
Or, like, complying with the laws and regulations already in place?
Better police would also be nice, but we can't have nice things.
I blame sparks.

– J.D.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:31 am

– J.D.
Pretty much everyone is on the same page with that methinks.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

No fucking nice is allowed damnit!
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hotarubi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 pm

– J.D.
Not if it might save black lives.

What you mean is that everyone pays lip service to it. Chi would not be Chi if people gave a shit.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:55 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 pm

– J.D.
Not if it might save black lives.

What you mean is that everyone pays lip service to it. Chi would not be Chi if people gave a shit.
I meant everyone commenting on this thread.