Altiris Agent

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Altiris Agent

Post by Pyrrho »

They've installed this on all the PCs at work, along with a program called "Carbon Copy", presumably to manage desktops.

Now, I'm the suspicious type...anyone know anything about those programs, such as are they logging keystrokes and such? Based on what the IT people have said, they also track which programs I open and for how long, etc.
NightG1

Post by NightG1 »

The Altris Agent looks like a program designed to track resourse usage across a network -- although it is hard to tell from the web site. Lets say your company has 500 copies of MS Office installed on machines attached to the corporate servers but only 250 copies are actively being used. Presumably your management could eliminate the unused or non-used copies and save the licensing cost. The only Carbon Copy I am familiar with is a hard disk cloner on the Mac side. Very UNIX-y.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

Look here.
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

I agree with NighG1. It looks like Altiris Agent is just a program to keep track of licensed software and how often the software is being used. Carbon Copy seems to be back-up software.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they wanted to keep track of any thing suspicous you may be doing, then they would put software in the background and never tell you about it.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Thanks. I'm not gonna worry about it. The IT guys have their job to do, and I have mine.